got gold in your bug out bag?

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
free shipping on $2000 purchase;

http://www.golddealer.com/bullionpage.html

all types of bullion,

"..Free Shipping and Best Price Guarantee! For those using the mail our minimum bullion order is $2000 and we pay shipping and insurance. There are no added commissions and you can mix products. CNI Business Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PST).

A bank wire is the fastest way to receive your order and is required if your invoice exceeds $15,000.00. A cashier's check is held for 2 weeks and a personal check for 3 weeks. Each type of check must be cleared and new bank privacy rules make this process difficult. We apologize for the inconvenience and suggest that if this check holding period is not satisfactory please consider a bank wire.
California Numismatic Investments is one of America's largest dealers in precious metals. With annual sales exceeding 80 million dollars, we deliver the finest quality standard in the industry. Your satisfaction is guaranteed and backed with 25 years of investor service..."

suggest you read this thread from the beginning. good luck.

Last edited:

BillBond

Newly Enlightened
My Dad is big into gold and silver.
So he gave me some.
I sold it and bought some Glock 19's to put in my BOB.

FASTCAR

Banned
Wow, my grandfather always talked about paper not being worth sh*t.
He always talked about metal keeping value.He said in the 20s he kept the house and property because he had " the metal".

When he passed we got quite a bit of gold and silver.

I am 2 lazy to go back and see who started this thread.You hit the nail on the head.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
...well, those 1/10 oz gold eagles are now $107..!

they have 'back-dated' silver dollars for sale now; meaning any date but the current year, for $1.60 over spot. (they appear to be uncirculated too) at CNI.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming in a bit late to this thread but...
I went through a phase when I was younger when I had a lot of incoming money and very little outgoing expenses. I spent all my spare money on the latest 'stuff' that, a few years later, wan't worth a tenth of what I paid for it. I realised this and decided to start collecting gold as a hobby on the grounds that it would still be worth something later on. I bought about half collectors coins and half bullion in the late 90's. It cost me around £120 oz and I spent around £5,000 over about two years. Cost now just short of £500 oz. Not a bad return over 10 years but not exceptional. The collector coins have gone up a higher percentage value.
The point is, I still have them and It'll probably help towards a nice house deposit for my 1 year old son when he grows up.

As for putting gold or silver in your emergency pack, I'd think it would be fairly pointless. Either the disaster is bad enough that everyone is in the same boat so who would want your metal coins when they need food and medicine. Or, the disaster is localised, in which case you can still use money to get what you need, you may just have to pay more for it.

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, if you want to put something in your emergency pack that really would be tradeable in an emergency, some wind up torches would be the thing. A week on from the power going out, how many people will have used up their batteries, candles, etc...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course, if you want to put something in your emergency pack that really would be tradeable in an emergency, some wind up torches would be the thing. A week on from the power going out, how many people will have used up their batteries, candles, etc...
I dunno, I've kind of got this gut feeling that most folks left in the dark won't have thought enough about it to have much of anything I would want to trade for.

I stock a few lights for close neighbors to help keep them from burning me out and I also have some candles I'd give away....but not to anyone within a couple hundred feet of the house.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the graphic novel/comic Batman: No man's land....Gotham city is cordorned(sp?) off by the Government, and everyone that hadnt left was stuck there in a Limbo of sorts, no food, nothing, just what was there with them.

there was this in quote box "using a flashlight was only an invitation for someone to steal it"

the value of a flashlight AND working batteries sky rocketed. Perishables like an Apple had the value of a gun and loaded bullets. Someone bid up to millions of dollars worth of jewelry for that apple.

The Value of a bullet also went waaaaay up...

Cross bows, and Short/long bows, even improvised ones, and Arrows became highly prized for thier re-usability. People with shelter teamed up with people who could offer protection...metal cans were hung from trip wires as improvised alarm systems for houses...

sure its a just a graphic novel, but it was really interesting..and give a fair amount of ideas

Crenshaw

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat! I have a Barnett Wildcat crossbow to be upgraded to a Predator AVI soon. Have to get more bolts as well as the carbon fiber types tend to split upon impact.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well here's an update for you;

gold has tripled
silver has (only) doubled

would you believe it's still a good investment?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Saw the start date for this, and figured I'd thank you for a very timely bump... Good reading. :thumbsup: