H6CC 6.7A LED driver

morelightnow

Enlightened
How many turns is the trimpot? I keep turning it clockwise and it never stops and is slowing gaining current. My goal is to set it to max and leave it.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many turns is the trimpot? I keep turning it clockwise and it never stops and is slowing gaining current. My goal is to set it to max and leave it.

The trimpot has nominally 11 turns. Wide open it should be around 50k ohms - if you use a multimeter you should be able to verify you have it adjusted fully.

cheers,
george.

morelightnow

Enlightened
The problem is I figured since I didn't add any resistors that it would run wide open. After 30 minutes of use the light was barely warm and that threw a red flag for me, so I knew it was not at full power.

When I try to measure the resistance I get a reading for .1 seconds then it goes open as if the circuit breaks as soon as it sees voltage. My meter reads .3 ohms when touching leads so I know it works. This is done with regulator installed but no batteries.

I just turned the pot until it felt like it was giving me resistance and now it is much brighter and gets hotter. I think it is maximum but I can't measure current. I'm happy with it for now.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is I figured since I didn't add any resistors that it would run wide open. After 30 minutes of use the light was barely warm and that threw a red flag for me, so I knew it was not at full power.

When I try to measure the resistance I get a reading for .1 seconds then it goes open as if the circuit breaks as soon as it sees voltage. My meter reads .3 ohms when touching leads so I know it works. This is done with regulator installed but no batteries.

I just turned the pot until it felt like it was giving me resistance and now it is much brighter and gets hotter. I think it is maximum but I can't measure current. I'm happy with it for now.

Some "cheap" meters can't read resistance in-circuit - not that you can generally read it accurately depending on other components around the part you are measuring. The tables I have on my website reflect what my Fluke meter reads in-circuit with the driver not powered up.

In the case of the h6CC, removing the trimpot completely will also let it run at full 6.7A output.

I pre-set the trimpot to a nominal 2.8A output when I test the drivers, so that is the default output current when you first receive a new h6CC.

cheers,
george.