H6CC 6.7A LED driver

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: H5CC driver

What is the minimum and maximum input voltage range and how much volts does it have to be above led vin to stay in regulation ? Also what temp will thermal shutdown occur? Will it be fine to drive from 7.2v source to power 24 xpg's in 12 strings of series ( alll strings paralleled) ?

Minimum input is 8V (as per previous info in this thread). Max input voltage will be 24V.

Headroom depends on output current, some info in this thread already. More testing to do before I release production boards late April.
Ok, at 5A output (max my power supply can provide on the input) and 9.82V Vf the driver needed 10.82V at the input to be in regulation, below 10.82V the output current would drop - basically direct drive. So, at 5A the driver requires 1V of headroom (this is with the low Rdson reverse polarity protection FET in place).

There is no thermal protection on the 'dumb' driver. h6flex will have all the 'good' stuff like thermal monitoring and input voltage monitoring etc etc.

The h6cc with a d2flex would have thermal protection by utilizing the d2flex monitoring and PWM rollback.

cheers,
george.

Last edited:

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: H6CC driver

:wave:
This item is on sale in time or what?
Very interested.

I own light, SST-90 to 6A I want to drive.
A diameter of 20mm is ideal.

20mm diameter - ha ha ha ha - very ideal, but not realistic. Just the inductor is 13mm square. Board diameter is listed in this thread.

I expect production boards to be available late April.

cheers,
george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's a big step up from the 14 V I'd seen earlier. Does that mean it can power up to 6ish LEDs? At full current? Does the thread title need changing?

The 14V at the start of the thread was the input conditions for that test - it was never the max input voltage rating.

The input rating (at least my design goal) was always 24V input (25V abs max)

Yes, it could drive more leds - the test is 3 series LEDs (2 P7's parallel), so Vf of around 10V total. Nothing stops you running more series LEDs as long as the input voltage is below 24V and you have at least 1V of headroom.

cheers,
george.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi George, short question. How high are these boards?

Looking forward to when they're released, I may be buying 8 of them...

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi George, short question. How high are these boards?

Looking forward to when they're released, I may be buying 8 of them...

Same height as the hipcc/hipflex/hyperboost etc etc - basically just a hair under 9mm (PCB 1.6mm thickness + height of inductor).

I'm expecting production boards sometime next week - but I'll be out of town. So, the week after I'll be able to get a few assembled and some pictures of the finished units.

cheers,
george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

What is that black stuff that looks like rubber you have between your leds and the heat sink?

Thermal pad material TGF120K (you can search for it on www.mouser.com if you want more info) - works great to provide a good thermal path while testing LEDs, drivers etc since it is 'tacky' but not adhesive. It's the same material I supply with some of my drivers.

cheers,
george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can I use this driver with Luminus CSM-360 or CBM-360 ?

Can't see why not - basically looks to me like 4 series connected SST-50's from an electrical standpoint. You would need to run input voltage at least 1V higher than the highest Vf to keep the driver in regulation.

cheers,
george.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thermal pad material TGF120K (you can search for it on www.mouser.com if you want more info) - works great to provide a good thermal path while testing LEDs, drivers etc since it is 'tacky' but not adhesive. It's the same material I supply with some of my drivers.

cheers,
george.

Thanks George, I suspected it was something like that, but I had never even heard of such a thing. I've been having to grease up the leds with AS, which works ok but it sure gets messy.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a picture of a production board - still missing one resistor that I didn't have on hand. Resistors will be ordered Monday so I can finish up a few boards on Wed/Thurs to test and make sure the production boards are ready to ramp up.

h6ccp.jpg

cheers,
george.

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

:party:

Thanks for the update.

Will the H6Flex follow soonish?

Probably about 1 month after the h6cc is released later this week. That gives me time to assembly a prototype up (about 1/2 done) and test it out and get the appropriate current regulation tables in place.

cheers,
george.

flashfiend

Enlightened

Hi, I'm wondering if this driver can be used to run 3 ssr-90's in series with 4 Li-Ion batteries in series at the maximum current for the driver? Additionally, does the Flex version of this driver just add levels and will it need to use a momentary switch like the D2Flex? Finally, what are the heatsinking solutions to dissipate the heat of this driver?

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, I'm wondering if this driver can be used to run 3 ssr-90's in series with 4 Li-Ion batteries in series at the maximum current for the driver? Additionally, does the Flex version of this driver just add levels and will it need to use a momentary switch like the D2Flex? Finally, what are the heatsinking solutions to dissipate the heat of this driver?

If you look back through this thread you'll see it has been tested with the equivalent of 3 series connected LEDs running at 6.7A (doesn't matter if it's a -50 or -90 they have the same effective Vf). The driver can easily handle the load and run well from 4 li-ion cells.

Heatsink path is addressed in the thread, the driver has components on the top side only, so the bottom side would mount with thermal pad or thermal tape material to the heatsink. All the 'hot' components have a direct thermal path using multiple vias to the bottom of the PCB. Basically the same well proven heatsink path that I use with hipCC/hipFlex/hyperboost and hyperbuck works well and is used with the H6CC.

The Flex version will add the same features as all my other flex drivers since it will use the same firmware source code base.

The missing resistors were also delivered today, so I should be able to finish a batch of H6CC drivers tomorrow and have them available for purchase by Saturday. Pricing will appear on the order info page of my website (link below) on Saturday.

cheers,
george.

flashfiend

Enlightened

Thanks George, that clarifies quite a bit. Being new to a lot of this I am still trying to visualize how the driver would attach to a host/heatsink combo such as Der Wichtel's triple LED heatsink for a Mag D host. Will a custom heatsink have to be made for the driver? I looked at your product info for the hipCC on your site and I see the thermal path you describe and now I'm just trying to figure out where I would attach it to in the build.

wquiles

Flashaholic

Thanks George, that clarifies quite a bit. Being new to a lot of this I am still trying to visualize how the driver would attach to a host/heatsink combo such as Der Wichtel's triple LED heatsink for a Mag D host. Will a custom heatsink have to be made for the driver? I looked at your product info for the hipCC on your site and I see the thermal path you describe and now I'm just trying to figure out where I would attach it to in the build.

Many ways to skin that cat, but here are two examples of how I "mounted" the hipCC (2.8 Amp) LED driver from George while providing a thermal path to the driver:

1) https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/244664

2) https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258545