Harborfreight Tools' tools, how's ya experience?

paulr

Flashaholic
I have their 6" digital caliper. It eats batteries but other than that I love it. It was just $12.95 or something like that, an all metal tool that feels pretty solid. A $100 Mitutoyo is probably more accurate but I'm not doing anything that calls for super precision with the HF. I thought they had a similar digital micrometer but I don't see it on their site any more.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the air tools and hoses, parts, etc. I've had great luck with those from HF except for their impact guns.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on your expectations though generally, it is a get what you pay for deal. Tolerances and overall build quality is so-so to me. I feel "buy it right the first time" and I'm not looking for a short term tool.

Long ago and trying to save a few $$, I bought a 12" drill press based on one of my knife making buddy's experiences with the same model. In this case, the casting was pretty good and the machined surfaces good as well. BUT, the column, table and head assembly were not very accurate so it remains a challenge to drill a correct perpendicular hole. Shim, hand fit...regardless, I could not get it nearly as accurate as the Jet drill press I also have. That drill press was a waste of $200. My uses for it are non-critical holes like drilling sheaths for stitching or polishing parts.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I figure HF tools are great for when I need something for just one project, or for occasional use.

+1

It helps if you're near a store and can go in and look at the tool to judge if it's good enough for what you have in mind.

I had a $38 drill press from them that I used to trim brass and uniform primer pockets. Sold it when I moved.

Bought my DMM from them for ~$10 and it works OK with a fresh battery in it ;)

mahoney

Enlightened
I have a couple HF outlets close enough to visit, and based on those visits, I would never buy anything with an electric cord from them. Certainly not sight-unseen. The impact grade sockets are OK for use by hand, some of their box wrenches are OK but it depends on which manufacturer made them. Their drill bits used to be OK, but lately I've found they break easily. The air-powered paint sprayers are adequate and cheap enough to throw away when the students forget to clean them out. The parts are made of steel that will rust, so don't plan on a long usefull life if you are using water-based material, even if you do keep them clean. The pneumatic impact wrenches from 10 years ago have held up OK to occasional use. The big rolling tool cabinet is about as well made as Sears low end professional models. Chip brushes and leather gloves on sale are a bargin, but the glove quality is what you'd expect for 1$ a pair.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those security bits can be found at places like lowes, home depot, ace hardware or even sears.
If your sure your only going to use a tool one time then you may want to buy it there, otherwise buy something decent. I've bought a couple tools there and have always been disappointed in them.

paulr

Flashaholic
I also got their digital multimeter in a group buy and it's working just fine. It's not a Fluke-quality meter but it's comparable to the stuff you get at rat shack, i.e. usable. The price was just insane, 3 dollars or something like that.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience has been poor. Purchased a $15 torque wrench that disassembled on me within a few sparkplug tightening sessions :thumbsdow

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I bought one of those keychain-sized non-contact electronic thermometers for $10. It works well enough for the price, and is useful for checking temps inside a computer case.