HDS Twisty is here!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

mousehunter

Newly Enlightened
My first thought was that it was not as sexy as the original edc. That said...

I loudly applaud the 3 stock power levels. In the past, my only real options for an ultra low were programmables. Here is a light with 3 settings - all very useful - who would have ever thought of it (err - someone actually reading these forums?). Looking more at it, I can find no flaws with the design - perhaps not as sexy, but probably more durable and functional. New design should be a winner..

I fear I already made my flashlight spurge for this Christmas (wife found out too...), but will see how the chips fall and might try to sneak one into the stocking for some other gift next year (lets see, Father's Day, Birthday... Should never be too hard to find an excuse - maybe even try to convert my wife (but she likes her current flashlight a lot).

WTH

Newly Enlightened
I don't mind the look of the SS bezel at all. I think once people get used to the look of it, and associate that look with durability, (most) everyone will grow to like it.

I also like the interface with three levels and the red sounds like an excellent addition. I think HDS hit the nail on the head with the lumen to battery life ratios.

My only concern is one-hand operation, but we'll all find out how this works when the first people get their lights in hand and start writing reviews.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Man, talk about dead on for an EDC!! Simple, adaptable, and durable. My bank account sure didn't this one to come along.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never considered the HDS EDC or the NovaTacs sexy lights; I consider them hard-nosed tool lights. They are desiged as a high quality, high precision, hand tool and they are expected to be put to work, and to perform perfectly. They look OK, but if one is looking for sexy they'd be better off looking elsewhere.

The integrated red led is wonderful, a feature I've wanted and posted in the Fenix suggestions thread. The 70 lumens though is a little less than expected. I settled for 85 on the NovaTac, but 70... not a bug drop, but I want to see an increase. I was really hoping HDS could manage 120-160, after all we don't have to use it if we don't want. Let us make the decision on runtime, don't build the decision into the light.

The user interface sounds great. Between the UI and the durability, that is what will make or break this light. I do believe the looks will hurt some sales, but probably not in the markets where this light's strengths will be appreciated. I don't find the NovaTacs to be particularly visually attractive either, but maybe it's just me. That integrated red-led is going to get some attention in certain markets.

Now we just have to see how this tool performs when it's out in the wild.

Last edited:

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
I've never considered the HDS EDC, or the NovaTac's sexy lights...
...I settled for 85 on the NovaTac, but 70... not a bug drop, but I want to see an increase.

A little confused. You said you never considered HDS or Novatacs, but you settled for a Novatac 85 ???

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little confused. You said you never considered HDS or Novatacs, but you settled for a Novatac 85 ???

hi Taepo,

StandardBattery is saying he doesn't consider the HDS and Novatac to be "sexy" lights, he considers them to be tools so looks are not that important.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting stuff.

is it just me or is it weird to see that "ultra-efficient LED" and "ultra reliable LED" are mutually exclusive?

Nope, you're not the only one. I found that interesting and would love to hear an explanation.

Norm

Retired Administrator

...I settled for 85 on the NovaTac, but 70... not a bug drop, but I want to see an increase.

Two separate thoughts

1 "I've never considered the HDS EDC, or the NovaTac's sexy lights..."

2 "I settled for 85 on the NovaTac, but 70... not a bug drop, but I want to see an increase."

xiaowenzu

Banned
is it just me or is it weird to see that "ultra-efficient LED" and "ultra reliable LED" are mutually exclusive?
They're INCLUSIVE because LEDs are generally very efficient and ultra tough. Most likely, the HDS will use a cree or SSc, and we all know that these are inherently, "ultra-efficient LEDs"
:twothumbs

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a nice light... finally (almost)
I am a master gripe giver, but I must say I only have two after my first impressions. First I am sorry to see I can't get 100 lumens AND low red. I assume it is due to a perameter out of Henry's control, so this is only a half-gripe.
Second, I beleive someone has already mentioned this,... no pocket clip. Luckily some awesome person here at CPF will likely remedy this issue soon enough.
I dont mind the design of the light, though the large silver steel bezel does stand out. I can't wait for some reviews.

carrot

Flashaholic
I can't believe how ugly this light is.

That said, I'll be looking forward to reviews. Need to find out if the low red will be useful enough for me, first, or else I'll hop onto the white LED bandwagon.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been able to screw and unscrew the battery tube one handed on my HDS U60 and mine has the smooth tailcap. I don't think I'll have a problem using it one handed since it was designed as a twisty so it should be smoother than what I am feeling with my U60 and there is knurling all over.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally Posted by StandardBattery

Sorry, my sentance was confusing due to the incorrect grammar. I was just saying I never considered them 'sexy', I certainly considered them useful. This was based on some earlier comments on the look of the new light.

I edited original post to hopefully make it clearer.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a nice light... finally (almost)
I am a master gripe giver, but I must say I only have two after my first impressions. First I am sorry to see I can't get 100 lumens AND low red. I assume it is due to a perameter out of Henry's control, so this is only a half-gripe.
Second, I beleive someone has already mentioned this,... no pocket clip. Luckily some awesome person here at CPF will likely remedy this issue soon enough.
I dont mind the design of the light, though the large silver steel bezel does stand out. I can't wait for some reviews.

Hi,

I think in CPFMP Henry stated that one can mod this light with Tritium vials, I guess there is enough material on body that you can drill and put up pocket clip of desire. Also the possibility to color (black) steel bezel ring is there...

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is gonna be a spring that surrounds the battery like in the NovaTac Series...?

Mayo

Last edited: