Help a cop pick a new flashlight

Masque

Newly Enlightened
I'll just peek in and recommend that you keep a Fenix P3D Q5 as your pocket/backup light. Something tuckable is obviously less handy for nooks'n'crannys in vehicles, and the P3D can be held in your teeth if necessary. It's also wicked bright when you want it to be.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I like my raidfire spear but I wouldn't entrust it with my life. I like my Fenix but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I would trust a solid American made light because I am an American, as is the original poster. When it comes to flashlight reliability, I have had the best luck with my American made lights. Not trying to fuel a war of nations here, just looking out for one of our LEOs, that's all. BTW, American made cars typically suck, but they're usually assembled in Mexico in one way or another. And though our cars suck, we make some pretty damn good flash lights!
Was this the case from the beginning of time to the 90s? It's nice that you like to blame every other country except for your own. I guess that's the American way. I hope everything you own was made in America. But I bet 99% of the things you own is not. How about your firearm? I hope it's a crappy semi-auto S&W. Hypocrisy, the American way. Nice going.

BTW: any light made from any country is capable of malfunctioning at any time!!! There are more things to worry about than your flashlight calling quits.

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
First you say you don't use the under arm technique but then add that a 9P, which is not a 6P, can be held under the arm? How do you know if you haven't tried it during a T-stop and not in your bedroom in front of your mirror?

I said "could" be. The mirror comment is uncalled for.

I'll retract my original statement and rephrase. There are MUCH BETTER solutions to a 6P. IMO, having a larger light is always better for T-stops.

Yeah the Pelican is gargantuan in comparison to the 6P:rolleyes:

That's strange: I'm not blind, have done traffic stops, I am an LEO, and still don't like the 6P :thinking:.
Again, a 6P with a malkoff drop-in will set you back $120. Same price for the MUCH better light (which includes a charger and rechargeable Lion batteries) that everyone else is recommending, the Pelican 7060.

The Pelican isn't as bright (based on specs), is heavier, takes 4-5 hours to recharge and has the same runtime as the 6P. Why is it better????

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Was this the case from the beginning of time to the 90s? It's nice that you like to blame every other country except for your own. I guess that's the American way. I hope everything you own was made in America. But I bet 99% of the things you own is not. How about your firearm? I hope it's a crappy semi-auto S&W. Hypocrisy, the American way. Nice going.

BTW: any light made from any country is capable of malfunctioning at any time!!! There are more things to worry about than your flashlight calling quits.

Ducati, you have a PM

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
cruzmisl said:
Ducati said:
First you say you don't use the under arm technique but then add that a 9P, which is not a 6P, can be held under the arm? How do you know if you haven't tried it during a T-stop and not in your bedroom in front of your mirror?
I said "could" be. The mirror comment is uncalled for.
This was my attempt to be sarcastic. Only used it as a metaphor to illustrate that if you don't use the method in the real world, how would you know? My apologies if I offended you. Wasn't trying to. :laughing:

cruzmisl said:
Ducati said:
I'll retract my original statement and rephrase. There are MUCH BETTER solutions to a 6P. IMO, having a larger light is always better for T-stops.
Yeah the Pelican is gargantuan in comparison to the 6P:rolleyes:
Who said it was much larger? It's indeed bigger and big enough that you can more easliy put it under your arm. PLUS, it's not metal and has a very large grip pattern so it won't slide out as easily.

cruzmisl said:
Ducati said:
That's strange: I'm not blind, have done traffic stops, I am an LEO, and still don't like the 6P :thinking:.
Again, a 6P with a malkoff drop-in will set you back $120. Same price for the MUCH better light (which includes a charger and rechargeable Lion batteries) that everyone else is recommending, the Pelican 7060.
The Pelican isn't as bright (based on specs), is heavier, takes 4-5 hours to recharge and has the same runtime as the 6P. Why is it better????
According to real world comparisons on this site, the Pelican is bright and brighter than the stated specs, being heavier is not a negative, and includes batteries and a charger. Is the 6P rechargeable? No. Include rechargeable batteries? No. So, in fact, the 6P w/ Malkoff and batteries/recharger will set you back $150 rather than $120. Pelican is still $120 or less. Remember, the Pelican was specifically designed with the LAPD with supposed feedback from their officers. How can you go wrong with the Pelican? (Just remember that the 7060 was made to minimize the public's perception as a secondary weapon.)

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
Y do so many people keep recommending the SureFire + Malkoff combos?
Its totally off.

He already said he was looking for something similar to the Streamlight Ultrastinger which can be held under his arm, or do are you guys not familiar what an Ultrastinger is?

I find these threads entertaining to read.

I'm waiting for someone to recommend a Draco.

Toshi

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
Well , no offence taken then. Sometimes when posting on the net it can be tough to detect true intention.

Anyway, we're issued Stinger rechargeables and while convenient, once they're dead you're stuck for the night. They take too long to recharge. If you have to search a field for more than an hour or go call to call on a midnight shift it's puts you in a bad spot. As you know they always die at the worst possible time.

For that reason I prefer lights that I can swap out primaries. Lithiums can be had for $1-1.50 a piece so if I have to spend $10 a month on batteries I'm OK with that. You could buy rechargeables but not worth the effort (for me).

The Pelican may be a great light. I don't know since I've never used one but for me and my applications I'm happy with the 6P/Malkoff. I've tried the Tiablo A9, Stinger, Stinger Ultra and found the 6P to be the best.

Fwiw, it only costs $120 ($60 for the light/$60 for the drop in)

roymail

Enlightened
This is definitely a matter of personal preference... it would be for me if I was a LEO. For any cop considering a light other than a Streamlight or Pelican, I'd suggest a SF 9P/Malkoff M60 Q5. The Malkoff (Low) is still very bright (140+ lumens) and last 4 hrs. You could either use 3 primaries or 2 primaries with a 123A dummy (AW has them).

Anyway, the 9P body would give a cop a little more to hold on to with hardly any additional weight. Just another idea. :grin2:

Last edited:

OMNIHUGE

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Pelican. Dual switches, bright, fast recharging, unconditional gaurentee, great customer service. This light comes with a charger and a duty holster for a great price. It's a polymer light so the body doesn't get super cold in winter months. This thing throws as far as you can see to identify someone. What else do you need?

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
Anyway, the 9P body would give a cop a little more to hold on to with hardly any additional weight. Just another idea. :grin2:

I have to agree. The 6P is small so I ordered one of these to lengthen it and give me a fingergrip. It will then use 3-123's and should have a runtime of about 2.5hrs.

lhdetbk.jpg

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've made the point before that not every LEO is doing the 'Cops' bad-boyz, bad-boyz thing. Different assignments, locations, situations, circumstances, etc.

What works for an Air Marshal may not be so great for SWAT. An airborne observer and a dog handler may not need the same light. A boat crewman and an undercover narcotics officer might have very different needs. The mounted officer and the crime scene investigator have very different jobs. Some work in the deserts, some the mountains, some mostly indoors, others mostly outdoors. Agency policies can be restrictive as to what is carried.

Throw out the information on what is available and let the professionals make up their minds. I don't even make recommendations to my coworkers, because what they want is usually different from what I want, even though we work side-by-side.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Lumens doesn't convert to candle power and CD doesn't convert to lumen. Check here for an explanation(Lux is similar to candlepower in what it measures).

So from what I understand, you want a reasonably sized rechargeable light with a very narrow beam with no side-spill. Am I right or wrong?

srt2fast4u

Newly Enlightened
Yeah maybe a little more light spill then i make it seem basically i love my streamlight but want to see if there is anything better always looking for something better. that way i will keep my ultra stinger in the bag in case i need another light and like i said i already keep a strion on my belt. I wanted to see if the led was better then my conv light

Gunner12

Flashaholic
With a reflector you will always get spill, and LED will have more spill then a comparable output incan.

But the great thing is that a good optic will give you minimal-no spill with a strong hotspot.

Better is a hard thing to say, we would have to know how you would define better.

magic_elf

Banned
I find these threads entertaining to read.

I'm waiting for someone to recommend a Draco.

Toshi

LoL! I couldn't agree more, or how about an Orb Wee? :crackup:

The best are ignorant people like cruzmisl whose saying things about the light having more spill, when the original poster already said he wanted less spill and tighter spot.

And joema saying that the 6P WILL WORK, nevermind the many different types of situations which could arrise :ohgeez:

Wow, it never fails to suprise me, all these people who think they know better, when in fact what they're saying is just their personal opinions and what works for them.
Tip #1, broaden your mindsets guys :twothumbs

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Ummm.....if you want a big light you can hold in your armpit (and "disadvantage" your person being "interviewed"by shinining it in his eyes) Would a 3 D maglight work if it had well over 100 lumens of output and a bright LED color temperature? The very solution you're looking for might be a M@glite with a single Seoul Semiconductor LED. It gives a bright hotspot with lots of throw and tons of spill for zeroing in on a target.
My next door neighbor is a LEO for Fort McDowell Indian Reservation and when he saw me playing with one of my 3D M@g Luxeon mods he just had to have one. He's been crowing about it ever since. NOW the Seoul LEDs are available with over twice the output at the same electrical power. BTW he finally replaced the alkaline D cells after about 11 month's use.
Just a thought......

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well streetandracingtechnology2fastforyou, that cabelas light is a rebadged r500, which is a great light. Obviousely, runtime is not so high (50min) but it puts out about 350 lumens. That, or the pelican would be a good buy. Your decision.