Help a cop pick a new flashlight

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real magic of modern LED lights is how bright they can be in a small package. Usually the best larger throwers use the same power supply as the compact lights.

The best light that fits your descriptions is the Dereelight DBS V2, or the first version if you really want that extra cm. However, you may be a lot happier with a compact light. Since they use the same power source, compacts are just as bright, but do not have as much throw, as there isn't room for a larger reflector. I highly recommend the Dereelight CL1H for that, which has an extremely useful clip, so you may not miss being able to hold it under your arm. The Regalight WT1 V2 is also a great choice - between DBS and CL1H in size, no clip, between them in throw. Known for its excellent build.

I took a long time to figure out exactly what all the battery types are... I'll summarize it for your purposes. CR123As, the non-rechargeable lithiums, have the highest capacity, but may become expensive to continually buy. RCR123As are rechargeable versions of the CR123As, but be careful: they have a higher voltage, so not all CR123A lights take them. They usually last about half as long, with a bit more brightness, flat output, and a sudden shutoff. 18650s have the most capacity of the similar-sized rechargeable combos, but due to the fact that they are twice as long, a 2xCR123 flashlight taking them will receive only half it's normal voltage. Flashlights tend to have poor regulation on these batteries. However, Dereelight's digital versions ("D") are built for 18650s, and have excellent regulation and runtime on them.

One last note: Wolf Eyes products are known to feel like Surefires, and have arguably better build quality, as well as being brighter. They aren't as bright as a CL1H, but are a big step up from a similar-sized Surefire. Unfortunately their website is very unorganized and incomplete - if you're interested, pm me and I can tell you a lot more about their products.

trucarp

Newly Enlightened
For writing tickets why wouldnt you use some sort of small light clipped to you hat or on your chest like the firemen wear. Keep your hands available, instead of fumbling with the armpit hold? Maybe a small light clipped on to your ticket pad?

Just my 2 cents

Andy

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Vickers Tactical has this wonderful low light shooting class. You are taught as part of that course to wait until your eyes get used to the light, then you fire at the target - which is where the light is located at.

Enough spill and ground bounce will occur to where your eyes will get used to the lighting. Hence why a lot of low light tactical schools (Vickers, SureFire, and others) will do an "light up/acquire/light off/move/light on/acquire/light off/move/light on/takedown" method to prevent the target's eyes from working properly. If the light is held on constantly, the rods/cones/iris will eventually work to where you're able to see past the light in many cases.

He'll even kid the students to not shoot his light.

So - I would never want a light in close proximity to a critical body part that isn't covered in body armor.

Under the arm - I'm personally not so thrilled with that either. I used to get all the information and then go back to my patrol car to write the tickets, while forcing the driver to be outside of the vehicle in plain sight of my takedown lamps.

However, the under the arm position is not as bad as having a head mounted lamp.

-Steve

For writing tickets why wouldnt you use some sort of small light clipped to you hat or on your chest like the firemen wear. Keep your hands available, instead of fumbling with the armpit hold? Maybe a small light clipped on to your ticket pad?

Just my 2 cents

Andy

srt2fast4u

Newly Enlightened
I would never write the ticket in front of the operator. But i like a big light to cut threw tinted windows etc. then while collecting info or reviewing it before going back to the car i can put the light under my arm so that i have both hands free. when i return to the car and handing them the infraction and paper work its nice to have both hands. Also i would never have them wait outside the car if i am alone it takes away my advantage

Beastmaster

Enlightened
And I'd never do a traffic stop without backup if I was in a single man car.

But - a bright light is definitely worthwhile.

I would never write the ticket in front of the operator. But i like a big light to cut threw tinted windows etc. then while collecting info or reviewing it before going back to the car i can put the light under my arm so that i have both hands free. when i return to the car and handing them the infraction and paper work its nice to have both hands. Also i would never have them wait outside the car if i am alone it takes away my advantage

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
SRT, have you seen a Tigerlight? It might be something you'd be interested in.

I'm not a frequent user of the light-under-the-arm hold, but it is a valid technique.

There is also the FirstLight Liberator ST, a Cree LED anglehead light that can either clip to a vest facing forward or be strapped to the back of your hand. I have been using one for a couple weeks now. It won't allow you to hold thick items like a Tigerlight, walkie talkie or a gun, but it does allow the use of fingers to manipulate and hold thinner items, like door handles, gun magazines, a clipboard (not box type) radio controls, ASP batons, pens, pepper sprays (barely), etc. It isn't as bright as the bigger flashlights, though, so mine is mostly used for administrative tasks.

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
The best are ignorant people like cruzmisl whose saying things about the light having more spill, when the original poster already said he wanted less spill and tighter spot.

Well since you're the flashlight guru, then you should suggest one. The Tiablo A9 is a thrower and has too tight a spot for a traffic stop. The Ultra has a muddy spot and more flood. The Surefire/Malkoff has a great combo of both. I own all three and that is my opinion.

You should suggest a light that you've used on your traffic stops that works the best.......

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
how about a 3d mag with elektrolumens new 3 seoul drop in.
is 3 hours runtime enough?
it's very very bright.
i missed if you said you didn't want something too bright, cause this sucker could be.