Help a cop pick a new flashlight

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican LAPD cop light. A good choice. I have talked with several PD who duty carry this unit and to a man they prefer it to the mag and all had great praise for it.
Another option for a smaller belt carry light will be the Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M60 drop in unit. this is a fantastic light for auto searches and traffic stops at night. it is mighty bright and a very good attention getter.
It will give you good light penetration into vehicles you will see more with it that you ever have with any other Incandescent flashlight. it emits a good White light. A good choice.
Yaesumofo

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Well my bro-in-law prefers the Streamlight Scorpion with LED for EDC. I see why...it's great! I am even tempted to say that it's my favorite light that I own and I do have a few cool lights. I say this primarily because of its functionality and for the fact that it simply will NOT FAIL. I don't mind beating the crap out of it because its not some fancy light..it is just ergonomically correct and well put together.

I would like to design and manufacture a light some day for the benefit of LEO and firefighters, and if I do, it will definitely take cues from this Scorpion.

Edit: First of all, I would like to recommend that you purchase an American made light. That's not to say that some of the lights coming out of China aren't good, cause they are...and in some cases they are very good, but I would not trust them in a situation where my life could be on the line. This of course eliminates a lot of lights and will probably **** off a lot of CPFers..but I'm just putting it out there for your safety. Streamlight, Inova, Surefire, Pelican are all great companies, and if I were you I would search amongst them for your new light.

Also, I would stick to LED technology for it is advancing at a great pace and they are lower maintenance. I noticed you would like to keep the light under your armpit in certain situations, so I'm not entirely sure the Scorpion will fit this description. GOod luck!

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...looking to try an LED flashlight thats similar size to my ultra stinger so when i am on a traffic stop i can stick it under my armpit. I am just alittle confused on the way the brightness is labeled. I want something brigh like my ultra stinger but something with a more directed light the ultra stinger I feel sprays to wide...
The good news is you can get a small LED light with about the output of the UltraStinger. E.g, Fenix P3D Q5: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3220
It works with rechargeable cells: http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2515
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1155

It is extremely bright, but may be too small for your use. Also most (not all) Fenix lights are a bit slippery.

Most LED lights are fairly small, not big like the UltraStinger.

How about the Fenix T1, it's a bit bigger, has a knurled finish for good grip, and is very bright: http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-t1.html

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I recommend NOT getting a surefire 6P unless you switch out the tail cap for a forward clicky. It only has momentary-on unless you twist the tail cap for full-on which means the light has to turn off first so you can grip the end with your index and thumb (one-handed, of course). I guess you could twist it while it's still momentary-on but it's very awkward to do with one hand. If you get the 6P and a Malkoff drop-in, you're already looking at $120 and that's not including the $40 clicky from surefire or from somewhere else. It looks like the Pelican 7060 is your best bet for $120 or so. And it's a little bigger and non-metallic so it'll stay secure under your arm. I've never used it but I have friends who have and they love it.

Last edited:

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
First of all, I would like to recommend that you purchase an American made light. That's not to say that some of the lights coming out of China aren't good, cause they are...and in some cases they are very good, but I would not trust them in a situation where my life could be on the line. This of course eliminates a lot of lights and will probably **** off a lot of CPFers..but I'm just putting it out there for your safety. Streamlight, Inova, Surefire, Pelican are all great companies, and if I were you I would search amongst them for your new light.
I don't see why a Fenix is not as reliable as a Streamlight, Surefire, or Pelican? Somehow American-made is better? Does that include cars too? (GM/Chrysler/Ford:thumbsdow) How about firearms? (S&W auto 9mms are jammers:thumbsdow)
I can tell you that my crappy Surefire P6 is the worst of all the brands I've owned (that includes all of the aforementioned brands). The tail cap is not reliable at all. I barely use it and it's not even a clicky!!!

Please stop spreading FUD.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit: First of all, I would like to recommend that you purchase an American made light. That's not to say that some of the lights coming out of China aren't good, cause they are...and in some cases they are very good, but I would not trust them in a situation where my life could be on the line. This of course eliminates a lot of lights and will probably **** off a lot of CPFers..but I'm just putting it out there for your safety. Streamlight, Inova, Surefire, Pelican are all great companies, and if I were you I would search amongst them for your new light.

You wont trust a light cause of it's nationality?
:thinking:

I always find these "trust my life"-statements kind of amusing. ANY light can fail, regardless of where it's made. And it's been proven over and over that the higher quality chinese lights are as reliable as american made lights(and the opposite, apart from marketing, nothing has proven that american made lights are more reliable). And of the brands you mentioned, IIRC correctly, Surefire is the only one that is entirely american made.
Maybe I have a different view point (and IMHO objective)since I'm either american or chinese. I don't care where the light comes from, as long as it suits my needs.
The OP want's a light with a narrow and throwy beam, since he allready pleased with the spill of his Ultrastinger, I would suggest one of the super throwers out there. Like the DBS that has been mentioned.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the years I have gone through many different "duty" lights on the belt.

Pelican
Stinger
8NX
Scorpion
G2
G2Z
PILA
Wolf Eyes
Gladius

It depends on a lot of factors, I work an evening shift where it gets dark just before I'm going to head to the shop to do paperwork. I carry a Wolf Eyes FOX right now. I have the Pelican 7060 and it is one of the brightest lights I own in the size factor. Being rechargeable is a definite plus.

The 7060 is about as good as it gets in a light you can place in the arm pit and write a ticket. It has great spill and really nice throw. It isn't all that heavy.

personally no one light meets all the requirements so I keep buying new ones and carry them based on the mission.

I will say for uniform use the 7060 is almost as good as you can get.

magic_elf

Banned

BigD64

Enlightened
I've been a LEO for 20 years I recommend a Surefire 6P or 9P with a Malkoff M60 Dropin. I'd also carry an L1 as a backup. The L1 and a set of 3 spare CR123's can fit in a shirt pocket. I carry an L4 and an L1 but I just recently grabbed a Malkoff for my 6P and I retired my L4. Built in redundancy. And the L1 Cree can fill in for the lower light level tasks. In the trunk bag a Lumapower MRV, Deerelight or Tiablo Thrower is good for the woods.

magic_elf

Banned
Y do so many people keep recommending the SureFire + Malkoff combos?
Its totally off.

He already said he was looking for something similar to the Streamlight Ultrastinger which can be held under his arm, or do are you guys not familiar what an Ultrastinger is?

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Its totally off.

He already said he was looking for something similar to the Streamlight Ultrastinger which can be held under his arm, or do are you guys not familiar what an Ultrastinger is?
Funny i was thinking the same thing.

It always seems to be the case when this question is asked that the answer comes back "buy a surefire" regardless of the parameters set out by the OP. And hidden in these threads there will always be a post similar to this

Edit: First of all, I would like to recommend that you purchase an American made light. That's not to say that some of the lights coming out of China aren't good, cause they are...and in some cases they are very good, but I would not trust them in a situation where my life could be on the line.

I am curious where the basis for such a comment comes from? It is misleading and whilst it may be your opinion from my point of view it is rubbish, and this is coming from a LEO not just a WE fan.

Back on topic, I would agree with a lot of comments that the Pelican 7060 sounds like the ticket for the OP, considering it is rechargeable out of the packet (no need to buy extras) and from all accounts plenty bright enough.

EDIT: here is another option that you could consider, probably a little more expensive than the 7060, but should be brighter i would think http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-126-130-6441 or http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-99-118-6373

here is some pics of the beam, third pic from the bottom https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173535

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y do so many people keep recommending the SureFire + Malkoff combos?Its totally off.

Because some of the posters are LEOs themselves with years of experience, and know a Surefire 6P-size light will work in his application.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barbolight U-15 or B-15

make sure it's the newer version with KLC8 LEDs

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
[B said:
magic_elf][/B]Y do so many people keep recommending the SureFire + Malkoff combos?Its totally off.

Because some of the posters are LEOs themselves with years of experience, and know a Surefire 6P-size light will work in his application.
No, that can't be it. Any competent LEO will know that a stinky little 6P is insufficient for traffic stops.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, that can't be it. Any competent LEO will know that a stinky little 6P is insufficient for traffic stops.

What makes you say that? I am a LEO and have used SF 6P's and similar sized lights for quite a while especially during traffic stops. With the Malkoff drop-in the output will at least triple and almost quadruple especially with the new Q5 Malkoff drop-in's. Although now I am carrying a Pelican 7060 and the SF is my backup light.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
What makes you say that? I am a LEO and have used SF 6P's and similar sized lights for quite a while especially during traffic stops. With the Malkoff drop-in the output will at least triple and almost quadruple especially with the new Q5 Malkoff drop-in's. Although now I am carrying a Pelican 7060 and the SF is my backup light.
b/c the p6 is difficult to keep under your arm. it's too small.

cruzmisl

Newly Enlightened
Its totally off.

I know exactly what a Stinger Ultra is since I own one. I also own a 6P with a Malkoff drop in and I can tell you that while it's smaller it's comparable in output to the Ultra. A 9P could probably be held under the armpit but I don't use that technique so I can't comment.

The throwers like the Tiablo don't have enough spill for close to medium range (I own an A9 too). Those who say a 6P with drop in aren't good for traffic stops are either blind, haven't done a traffic stop with one or aren't LEO's.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I know exactly what a Stinger Ultra is since I own one. I also own a 6P with a Malkoff drop in and I can tell you that while it's smaller it's comparable in output to the Ultra. A 9P could probably be held under the armpit but I don't use that technique so I can't comment.

The throwers like the Tiablo don't have enough spill for close to medium range (I own an A9 too). Those who say a 6P with drop in aren't good for traffic stops are either blind, haven't done a traffic stop with one or aren't LEO's.
First you say you don't use the under arm technique but then add that a 9P, which is not a 6P, can be held under the arm? How do you know if you haven't tried it during a T-stop and not in your bedroom in front of your mirror?
I'll retract my original statement and rephrase. There are MUCH BETTER solutions to a 6P. IMO, having a larger light is always better for T-stops.
That's strange: I'm not blind, have done traffic stops, I am an LEO, and still don't like the 6P :thinking:.
Again, a 6P with a malkoff drop-in will set you back $120. Same price for the MUCH better light (which includes a charger and rechargeable Lion batteries) that everyone else is recommending, the Pelican 7060.

Last edited:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
I like my raidfire spear but I wouldn't entrust it with my life. I like my Fenix but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I would trust a solid American made light because I am an American, as is the original poster. When it comes to flashlight reliability, I have had the best luck with my American made lights. Not trying to fuel a war of nations here, just looking out for one of our LEOs, that's all. BTW, American made cars typically suck, but they're usually assembled in Mexico in one way or another. And though our cars suck, we make some pretty damn good flash lights!