Help me pick a flashlight for my Dad - for boat use

bobjenkins

Newly Enlightened
Hello I just want to add something waterproof with a lanyard clip .. so you can attach something that will float to is just incase he drops it:) ... If it does get dropped chances are that he would be using it at the time while its on so hopefully it would be easy to recover

guntotin_fool

Newly Enlightened
as one who has sailed transoceanic, I will say this, flashing a really bright light on the empty bridge of a container ship is going to do you no good. First of all, they keep crappy watches, I have seen several sail by never once seeing a live body moving around (using good binocs from fairly steady boats, and using digital steady glasses too.)

THey usually have some sort of a pinger on their radar that is set for a minimum cross section, and that is the only thing that is semi reliable. There are some radar reflectors which work well, and some that do not. Go to one of the open water sailing forums and ask there which have had the best luck.

A lamp bright enough to get the attention off the bridge watch on a ship that looks like this is going to be fairly large.
medhighway-kline1.jpg
That said if they are keeping a proper watch a 50 lumen light is like a car head light at night on the dark ocean.

Keeping white star shells handy and not being afraid to use them works too.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I own, and highly recommend the Stanley HID. It sounds to me like he is going to need that kind of extreme power. It is rechargeable, compact, lightweight, and comes with a 12V DC adaptor cord which can be used to directly run it from a 12V cigarette lighter type source.

It uses a 12V sealed lead acid battery, which will be reliable as long as it is properly cared for by being fully charged before and after each use. I would also recommend having one of the powerful LED lights recommended above for a backup.

ntalbot

Enlightened
Is a white star shell some kind of parachute flare? I'll see if he has a flare gun.

I like the idea of researching radar reflector reviews. I know my Dad has a reflector, but I bet he did not research it much, if at all. I'll look into that.

I like the idea of a HID, but the L35, N30 and Stanley HID do not look very water proof -- sooner or later most of my Dad's things get dunked in water, oh yeah me included. Maybe there is another HID that is more water resistant? A HID with an LED thrower as a backup sounds good.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
my suggestion would be something like a dive light. Other suggestions are fine too but I havent seen anyone mentioning one made for water. I dont know what size boat your dad has but having a waterproof flashlight is good for the sea water.
UK makes some good ones with large reflectors. I think they have an LED version but I do not know how bright it is.
Made in america too I think.
If he wanted something smaller that he always carried but did not use heavily then go with CR123 batteries for good shelf life. Maybe a streamlight supertac?