How concentrated a beam of light is best for self defense purposes?

nbp

Flashaholic
Let's keep on track guys. The OP is looking for a specific beam pattern, keep the focus there.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I liked something with throw for checking out spooky glowing eyes in the dark when hiking but that's so I can see what it is farther off. Maybe a tighter beam but as others have said a flashlight isn't really a self defense tool IMHO.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
If the primary purpose of a flashlight is self-defense, how concentrated do you want the beam of light? checked some youtube videos where it was made a point to look for a deep and smooth reflector because this concentrates the light, so if you're trying to blind/disorient an attacker, all the lumens you have at your disposal goes right into the other guy's eyes instead of lighting up the general area. But thinking about it, at some point it would get too narrow I should think, because the narrower it is, the harder it would be to aim it at his eyes, right? So does this ever happen, or is that point never really reached with modern self-defense flashlights?

Looking at a few now, and if we compare Nitecore P12GT to Olight M1X Striker, which would have the better beam for self defense? According to the stats listed, the peak intensity of the nitecore is 3 times that of the Olight, and the beam distance is about double.

If we assume I won't be using it as a striking weapon, which would be the better self defense light?

Thank you

i would highly recommend the Nitecore P10 for several reasons. 1: the light has 2 switches on the tail cap, and a "strobe ready" button. It is also very bright at 800 lumens and has a crenelated bezel as well. I have been carrying it for a while and absolutely love it. I also carry a P12 because of the lumens and bit of extra distance; and well I just love it.

D6859

Enlightened
Use a light to temporarily blind an attacker and run like hell.

That's what I would do if running away was an option. I think my TN12 or any of my EDC's would do the trick regardless of the beam pattern it produces. I've considered also Nitecore P10. Its instant strobe option would disorientate the attacker better and give you more time to leave the situation (or sucker-punch him but that's not what I would recomend).

When working with a partner, Police Study of tactical use of Strobe recommends using a tight beam pattern. I volunteer at a rock club and when I'm working there I carry Armytek Predator which has quite tight beam. The light is mainly for my personal use. I don't have a license to work in the security but the law allows me to help the security in the case of serious threat to property or a person. In such a situation I would prefer a light that blinds only the threat and not my co-workers.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, thoughts back to the main topic:
More concentrated light is more blinding and disorienting, as a general rule, and better for this usage. This is measured in candlepower, not lumens, so lumens is a secondary concern. With the caveats I made above, of course, that identification and maybe a very brief moment of advantage to take action is what you're hoping for. Also keep in mind that what might be best for an armed police officer (e.g., the strobe-first protocol from the Police Study of tactical use of Strobe thread mentioned above) might not (IS NOT) best for you.

For me, the ET DX30LC2-R seems to be the best of all worlds. Always come on in high, from a rear momentary clicky. Can run off 18650s and be charged off a USB charger. 20k candlepower.
The only thing that might tempt me away from that would be a Klarus XT2C with an XPL HI LED. That could be the perfect civilian defensive/utility light, in theory

MX421

Enlightened
OK, that was clever. :twothumbs Beam pattern, focus.

~ Chance

I was thinking to say the same thing when i saw nbp's post, I'm a day late though for a reply...funny.

I would agree that a focused concentrated beam with as high of an intensity as possible would be in order to blind the attacker. Then you can use whatever you want to strike the attacker on the head?

Seriously, go check out the beam pattern of those choices in a review in the review section of this forum and see which light would be more manageable/preferable for you. Most recent lights with plenty of throw have quite some spill to them to enable you to correct where the concentrated portion of the beam is going. I could name a few of my favorites, but you should pick what you prefer...

I am in the strobe camp for this scenario to disorient. Who knows, maybe the attacker is epileptic and will start having an episode because of the strobe. I couldn't hurt and only improves you chances...You gotta play the odds.... :)

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
It depends on the exact defense scenario. For walking around suburbia jungles I look for 9,000-10,000 candela and 750 lumens minimum. That means the Nitecore MT10A is perfect at 920 lumens combined with any pistol I'm carrying that day. It will physically hurt eyes that have no clue what's about to come their way.

On the night stand, you don't need as much. Waking up from a dead sleep and blasting a thousand lumens down the hall will have the flashlight operator squinting, closing one eye, looking away. Thems the last things you want to be doing, they might even trigger a pain response in your eyes. Just too bright. I've used lights enough from a dead sleep to know 3,000 to 5,000 absolute max candela with 120-180 lumens is about the max just woke up eyes will handle without causing the light user issues. On the good side of that, it's plenty to get the illuminated person to have a response of some sort to try and block the light and divert their attention away from their original task. That's exactly what you need too, more time and an adversary trying to figure out what's going on and what they will do next now.

I wouldnt rely on one light for both. I keep the MT10A on blast and it stays there. If I had to I could crank it down for night stand use and just use one, but it hasn't too much candela at them lower lumens for my likes.

If i step outside then the streamlight HL-X is going with me. If there is no immediate threat then the long running MT40GT is going out with me for more reach.

With all that said, from what the OP is saying, the Streamlight HL-X has a wonderful hotspot and more than enough spill all in one light. Might be a good option to take a serious look at. Touch over 27,000 candela and 1000 lumens reaches out pretty good too. Great all arounder.

forestlight

Newly Enlightened
I took a look at the Streamlight HL-x, but one review kinda put me off, the Ten Tap system seems to make programming it for practical use in an emergency awkward, did you observe anything like this?

banana boat

Newly Enlightened
[h=2]How concentrated a beam of light is best for self defense purposes?[/h]
Well that all depends on how big of a gun you have duh lol

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Equipment designed for self defense is not designed for illumination.

Equipment designed for illumination is not designed for self defense.

I carry my wallet, my keys, my flashlights, my Glock, my pen and my cell phone.

My wallet does not get me in a door. My keys do not pay for my oatmeal, tofu, fruit, vegetables, seeds, tree nuts or peanuts.

My pen does not make phone calls.

My cell phone does not defend me.

My Glock does not illuminate anything, even things that are threats.

My flashlight does not defend me against anything, even things that are threats.

Twice, in three and a half years in 8,000 pedestrian miles, I had self defense incidents. I did not reach for my flashlight in either of those two incidents. If I had, I would have been severely mauled by my neighbors at large ambush charging German Shepherds in a few tenths of a second. Instead, I immediately, in tenths of a second, reached for something that was not primarily designed to illuminate stuff.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I immediately, in tenths of a second, reached for something that was not primarily designed to illuminate stuff.

Some of us, when reaching for something designed for self defense, will never be grabbing at anything but the thin air. That is because some of us live in areas where their government doesn't recognize the right of a person to defend their own life with tools designed to do so. You make all good points, but unfortunately for the OP they do not apply.

I was under the impression that we weren't allowed to talk about flashlights for self defense or as weapons on this forum. But, maybe I read the rules wrong?

If it is allowed, then I would suggest a bright single-mode beam with a wide hot spot. I think what you want to really be doing is relying on some methodology of physical combat self-defense techniques. And adding in the flashlight as a way of temporarily disorienting or blinding while you strike your would be attacker and then flee if you can.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I was under the impression that we weren't allowed to talk about flashlights for self defense or as weapons on this forum. But, maybe I read the rules wrong? ....

This is a years-old thread that got bumped.

And, no you are correct.

The thread can stay open, as long as constructive discussion continues, without further mention of flashlights being used as other than for illumination. Not striking, not blinding, nor the like.

Thanks for checking.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Basically a high candella light will make a would be perp say "holy crap turn off that **** light" from a farther distance than a flooder. But anything above 150 lumens should do the trick up close.

Gene Malkoff mentions distances for his LED modules.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd get flood, in real word situation, no one will just stay and watch into your light, they will move their head, maybe even cover eyes, a narrow light is great, when you can keep it aimed, i doubt someone you intend to blind, will let you keep aim at their eyes, narrow is even better for him , but flood will get him at much wider angle, i'd stay above 5000lm to be effective, the more the better, strobe helps too

forestlight

Newly Enlightened
Wow, 5000lm seems like a lot, do you have any product suggestions at that level? The tactical lights I have been looking at are around 500-2000lm, I must be missing something!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may also be missing all of the previous posts that said almost anything over 75 lumens would be sufficient. Much of it depends on the ambient light situation. The sudden differential is what has the greatest affect.
In a pitch black room, a sudden 75 lumens looks like the sun.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
what exactly do you think a light (as in stream of photons, not a device) should do for the purpose of self defence? if you mean light up your path of escape, then 500-2000lm is plenty.

Last edited: