I got my Arc AAA-P DS Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Did the side by side test of my older AAA-p CS w/ the new fresh out of package DS version.(Still etched as Arc -P).

I'm not a light meter but it appeared to be nearly twice as bright, whiter and with a wider corona than the CS.

Very impressive and definately worth the extra $ to go a step up from the standard P

Does anyone actually order the standard $29 version? Why bother?

Anyway the light output actually rivals a standard C cell flashlight at like, what, a fifth of the size?

Nice work Peter. My Army buddy gets the "who is worthy" award for getting my older AAA.

I'll put a fresh lithium ion battery in that for him, what a guy, huh? ;-)

georget98

Enlightened
When I got my original AAA (non-P) in early 2003, I was disappointed at the output. I had been reading so much hype about it that I expected it to outshine the sun.

But, I put it on my keychain and used it occasionally. Over the 4 1/2 years it's dwelled in my pocket, it's been used many times. It was (and is) always ready and waiting for those random moments when a lighting tool was needed. It looks a bit used, but most of the black is still black.

The DS arrived today. This time I thought I knew the limits of a 5 mm LED and inserted an L92. As I was screwing the head on, I suddenly thought, "Maybe this shouldn't be pointing at my face." In the millisecond or two it took my hands to stop, it came on.

Ouch, my poor eyes!

Side-by-side with my original AAA, which is the whitest of the Arcs AAA's I've owned, it's whiter. The hot spot is about 3 times the diameter, and the corona around the hot spot is brighter than the hot spot of the original AAA.

I like the more aggressive knurling, too.

This one's definitely a winner.

Thanks Peter.

(W00T! My 300th Post.)

Last edited:

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
How would one who has never had an Arc AAA be able to distinguish the DS from the CS model? I have two Arc DS AAA's due to arrive tomorrow and I'm getting nervous. In essence, I have no reference or means to know which one I have.

knifebright

Enlightened
In recieving mine i can tell you that the package is hand labled "DS". Ah fret not aaa's are so wonderful :)
jimmy

How would one who has never had an Arc AAA be able to distinguish the DS from the CS model? I have two Arc DS AAA's due to arrive tomorrow and I'm getting nervous. In essence, I have no reference or means to know which one I have.

carrot

Flashaholic
Just got mine today. The beam is noticeably brighter than my CS Arc-AAA Camo and so is the corona. Wish the beam could be whiter but it's not really a problem. I like it, but don't foresee myself ordering any more for a long while, considering I bought four Arcs within a month.

ibcj

Enlightened
If someone could take a beamshot comparison of the DS vs the latest version CS, it would be greatly appreciated.

On the latest AAA-P (CS) that I purchased, the rubber o-ring shows when in the off position. Is this the case with the new DS light also ?

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone could take a beamshot comparison of the DS vs the latest version CS, it would be greatly appreciated.

On the latest AAA-P (CS) that I purchased, the rubber o-ring shows when in the off position. Is this the case with the new DS light also ?

I could try to get beamsots up, but 'll have to wrestle the CS version away from the very happy IT employee who now owns it!

I do not see the o-ring in the off position.

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
I was out of town when my DS arrived, but I have it now!

Way brighter than my original P, even with a Li battery. Brighter than my P.CS by as much as my P.CS is over my original P! Slightly dimmer than a MicroStream but much smaller and 4X the runtime.

I'm not a 'blue snob' so no report on color, it's bright and that's all I have to say about that.

I like bright, but not at the expense of runtime. So the AAA P.DS is just what I've always wanted! Thanks, Peter!!

Bob

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the rubber o-ring shows when in the off position...

Try a new battery. The length tolerances are not all that tight for batteries. I have mulitple Arcs. The head on my standard exposes the top half of the O-ring. The rest (5) have a recessed O-ring. Some are up to 0.5mm deep. I mixed and matched heads and bodies to get my EDC Arc which has a deep recessed O-ring. One CS head was not compatible with one of my tubes marked Arc-P. So as a consequence I have a standard head on a "Arc-P" tube and a CS premium head on a "Arc" tube. Confusing yes, but as long as I have one in my pocket it is no big deal what the output is IMHO.

When the 3 lumen version was the only game in town it was quite satisfactory and still is!

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
I just spoke with someone at Arc and found out that my DS AAA's are shipping today and won't arrive until Tuesday (FedEx). NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I was originally due to receive my lights tomorrow. I was told they ran out and just created a new batch. I can't take this kind of torture!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what CPF does to people....creates light addicts! I need my fix and I need it NOW!!!!!!!!!

Moat

Enlightened
On the latest AAA-P (CS) that I purchased, the rubber o-ring shows when in the off position.

Possibly, the battery's solder contact (blob) in the center of the circuit board may be a little too "tall" - if you're handy with a soldering iron, you might try and re-solder a smaller "blob" in place, allowing the head to thread into the battery tube a little deeper before it makes contact.

err0r

Newly Enlightened
Possibly, the battery's solder contact (blob) in the center of the circuit board may be a little too "tall" - if you're handy with a soldering iron, you might try and re-solder a smaller "blob" in place, allowing the head to thread into the battery tube a little deeper before it makes contact.

An easier method, I believe, is to remove the stick foam donut and file or sand the pre-existing solder blob to a smaller profile. Try to keep the top of the blob dome-shaped, just lower the height all round.

Photon

Newly Enlightened
Like many others, I ordered the Arc-DS after already having an Arc for many years.

Like many others, I found it to be brighter, less blue, and an altogether fantastic little light.

Like many others, I really did not need a new flashlight. But, like many others, I got one anyway.

A few years ago, Arc Flashlights was having problems and announced they were going out of business. A few days prior to that I had sent in 2 Arc AAA's for service, one of which was a CPF special edition. Ordinarily, one might expect never to see the lights again. However, Peter fixed and returned them within a few days.

For that reason, and because they are such nice lights, I'm sure to purchase the Arc AAA-P ES, FS, and whatever else comes down the tubes in the future.

There. I feel better now. Thanks for listening.

KR

jdawz

Newly Enlightened
Got my THREE I ordered today, one for me, one for dad and one for my uncle. What to do with the old one? (The new is MUCH whiter and obviously brighter)
Thanks ARC
Waiting for your next offering.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I got my order in last Thursday and have been using the new DS version of my all time favorite light a lot. It is a brighter and much less blue light in the same bomb proof form factor that is easy to always carry. I love it!. Peter and company did very well. I just cant say enough good things about it.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The funny thing is, I dont feel like I need to pocket carry another light for EDC anymore. :sick2:

I put my Arc DS' on my key chains (Work and personal) and carried it last night. This light puts out more than enough light for any task but long distance (50+ Ft.) illumination. I am beyond impressed. Its great if not perfect for walking, oncoming cars can see it easily. 5 hours runtime on a Alkaline AAA. Damn. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.