I HATE Twisties!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
magic79,

Size counts in these switches we are talking about and these switches with great cycles, how well will they fare in situ, if you disconnect and reconnect them from the system often? I think there are some semantics at play here too. Most of these flashlights we are talking about are a plunger type of switch that has a latching mechanisism. Other types of switches that "click" but do not lend themselves to the hosting in these lights need not apply.

I also think that at root of clickie failure is often not the switch itself but its connection to the electrical path beyond its internal contacts and latching mechanisism. System failure is the key here and if and how it relates to the clickie switch is of importance if the switch is to be ruled out as a viable solution.

I think I should point out that I am refering to a switch that makes and breaks the actual power supply to the light's electronics and is not used simply as a means to signal a constant powered on light. The HDS and the LC family fall into this category. In these, you have efficient and dependable switching and level selections made by the circuitry itself. The signal switch does not carry significant levels of current nor does it mechanically need to latch in a constant on position.

The rub with all of these switches is the electro-mechanical requirements and functions. A momentary signal or closed connection is much easier to come by than a switch that will provide both momentary as well as latched on. :shrug:

There are some well made micro toggle switches that will survive a flashlights environment and provide a lifetime of dependable cycles. However they do not lend them selves to the small flashlights and means of activation that is typically expected. With enough room and some finessing, they can be employed:

assembly.jpg

However, you need to determine how to activate them, seal them and if say a SPST switch were desired for momentary in one direction and constant on in the other, you need to mechanically make the switch momentary with a return spring if the switch is not so equiped or the application has forces that overcome the switche's internal design to return off. In the example above, rotation of the head selects the side mounted or forward projecting LED. Such a switch could be used for powering up the light instead.

I will go out on a limb and state that most switch failure, especially erattic function, is based more on bad contact surfaces than it is due to outright mechanical failure. The switches that fail mechanically are probably a poor design, poor materials or poor selection for the application. In some cases, the contact surfaces are not properly brought to bear on eachother due to tolerances or inadequate forces of engagement. There are metals which are great electrical conductors but their oxides are not. Brass and aluminum are two such metals. Contact surfaces of these materials need to be "wiped" in activation to remove oxides. There are chemical treatments that impede oxidation but in their absense......

At least a twisty has wiping action in its very nature! :nana:

When the LED's get real efficient and the rechargeable batteries get real efficient, we will have lights that have integral batteries, external charging nodes and the lights will be hard wired "on" at all times. The fancy ones will have a signal switch and UI designed in for control and the simple ones will have a cap that blocks the photons as a means of turning off the light (not light production) :green:

liquidsix

Enlightened
Yeah, twisties just don't have that same nice feeling about them that clickies do. When I got my strion, I new it was going to be a twisty, but it was still disapointing the first time I turned it on. Clickies, though apparently are unreliable and take up more space, just satisfy something in my brain, probably that same something in my brain that most flashaholics have and need satisfying (just a guess).

However, I think that a keychain size light (something the size of an Arc or Mag Solitaire) with a clickie end on it just seems wrong somehow.