I know this has been seen before, is it true?

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
It's sometimes difficult to make the distinction between a bad outcome and malpractice. Sometimes the reasoning behind a treatment plan is sound, and the care rendered is proficient and within accepted practice standards, and everything just goes to hell.

Of course, malpractice sometimes occurs. Sometimes the patient doesn't even recognize the malpractice...

I think something needs to be done to allow honest, open reporting of medical errors without inviting career-ending litigation. You can't fix a problem unless you can measure it.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I think something needs to be done to allow honest, open reporting of medical errors without inviting career-ending litigation. You can't fix a problem unless you can measure it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some small steps towards this in the current bill getting tossed around in Georgia. Interesting that the limitation on awards part, they actually got the biggest malpractice provider in the state to agree to an instant 10% discount on premiums for everyone if it gets passed. So of course it probably wont /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif But another part of it is that saying your sorry or expressing sympathy or concern, I forget exactly how it was worded, but basically apologizing to the patient will no longer be admissible in court as an acceptance of guilt. So at least your doctor will be busy making you happy rather than covering his or her backside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've always wondered something else too.... Say I'm in the hospital and they do something to me that requires me to have another surgery or something. Obviously not just a complication or an unintended consequence but the result of obvious negligence or something. Do they bill me for the procedures necessary to correct what they did to me in the first place? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll bet they do...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Of course they do ... because the'll have to pay their lawyer to fend of your lawsuit against them.
Sometimes I am glad we in Germany are some years behind you in the USA ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
bernhard

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Bernard. It is good for Germans that Germany is behind the US trend of a litigious attitude causing some physicians to be unable to afford MedMal and some insurance companies unable to provide MedMal. I suppose if our courts hadn't adopted a trend of awarding multi-million dollar settlements the US would be better off.

Also, I wanted to mention I've never feared an encounter with a doctor on the streets. Of course if he's carrying a nicer flashlight than me, I may have to ask if it is a LarryLite or a McGizmo.

JamesS -

Thanks for that stat link.

On this:

snip..."most anybody that does procedures will have a cash price for it that is considerably less than if they have to bill your insurance since with insurance they have to work much harder to recover only a fraction of the bill."

HMOs negotiate price for policy holders that is less than the usual cost. However, I have experienced (years ago) a clinic cutting quite a bit of slack for cash payers. So, I've seen both scenarios.

It would be good if that Georgia bill got passed but, as you've pointed out, sometimes good bills are injected with a stinker that makes it un-passable. Still, we can hope? Good bill.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Tom ... I mean that usually Europe is a few years behinf the USA regarding the most recent developments in technics and society.

Ice ... we will have it, too, I am quite sure. It has already started ... there are more and mroe lawsuits ...

bernhard

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was it Mark Twain who said that there are three types of liars -- liars, damned liars, and statisticians?

Want to guess who's ultimately responsible for your health care and very nearly everything else in your life? Mostly, it's you. Not doctors, lawyers, teachers, the government, talk radio, or the guys flying the black helicopters, either. Just you.

Whether somebody makes an "oopsie" with a pill or a gun, you should be alert to the fact that it can happen and look after yourself. Better to not walk blindly through life and then look for someone else to blame.

Especially better to not walk through life blindly when you are heavily armed, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Don't believe everything you read or hear.