I out shined security

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Don;t jump to conclusions. You just might find a security guard thats a member of the CPF forums. Not only will I give you a run for your money I might ever chat you up so much you miss the concert.

allburger

Enlightened
Thank you everyone. I like how our enlightenment is judged by the number of posts. I hope no one holds that against anyone.

To be honest, those security guards came up there with a very stern face and left laughing along with us. It turns out that being nice to people does help them like you. It wasn't me being a jerk about having a brighter light, but me mearly showing him that i dig flashlights too!! It just happened that mine was brighter

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
As a security preofessional, I rarely find anyone who can "outshine" me. I currently carry either a Fenix T1 or an ITI H2X Typhoon (twin of the Gladius).

It's hard to find security or law enforcement professionals who are flashlight enthusiasts, but there are a few of us. I tend to favor something well-built and ultra-reliable over a homebrew job.

It's hard for minimum-wage security guards to afford cutting-edge lights on the money they make.

-- Frank

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone. I like how our enlightenment is judged by the number of posts. I hope no one holds that against anyone.

Hey Allburger, for what it's worth, I got the same treatment when I first started posting here. You'll also notice that posts about flashlights worth less than $80 & without a big brand name usually get ignored as well. Oh well, I just think of it as initiation into the CPF CREW until I purchase my first Surefire light and rack up some posts.

I'm still a noob as my post count suggests and you're right, some people will use their high post count to "throw their weight around"...but for the most part, everyone's been great & it's a fun community. Stick around

warlord

Enlightened
If I were you I'd treat these incounters as a "teachable moment". No doubt when security saw how bright your "Schwartz" was you could've easily enlightened them in the ways of the flashaholics. Don't forget to mention the forums and maybe some good "gateway lights"...

Fird

Enlightened
i always get a chuckle out of outshining people, 'specially those people who carry those awful dim little surefire (incan.. cough) things... :-D 'course some day i'll run into someone with a Malkoff and then i'll chuckle as they outblast me!

layzieyez

Newly Enlightened
I started commuting to work by bike recently due to the price of gas creeping nearer to $4 a gallon. Even though I only have a Ultrafire Q5 C2 as my bike light (using the fenix bike mount), I totally outshine all of those weak LED bike lights on my fellow commuters. I'd be happy to share, but they're always so quiet. I'll probably get a helmet mounted light soon to supplement.

kts

Enlightened
I work nightshift, last week power went, and we called a electrician to fix it.
He had this huge 20x20cm Square incan 4D light, it was dim as hell, but he said it was like top of the line..imagine the look on my face:devil:as I pulled out my P2D Q5 to help him see the light :eek::eek:oo:

Last edited:

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Security guards typically make ten bucks an hour. Its likely as not they have what they can afford. Now me, I somehow find a way. But I'm a flashaholic, or on my to becoming one.

allburger

Enlightened
Hey Allburger, for what it's worth, I got the same treatment when I first started posting here. You'll also notice that posts about flashlights worth less than $80 & without a big brand name usually get ignored as well. Oh well, I just think of it as initiation into the CPF CREW until I purchase my first Surefire light and rack up some posts.

I'm still a noob as my post count suggests and you're right, some people will use their high post count to "throw their weight around"...but for the most part, everyone's been great & it's a fun community. Stick around

I understand that people like to talk about expensive flashlights. Considering we were around a bonfire and has a couple cold ones, i wasnt about to risk losing one of my fenix's.

For what its worth, the ultrafire with a p4 drop in was a great buy in my eyes, the run time is great and the beam is decent. Compared to my p3d it has a tighter beam which i like.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, all you new guys, welcome to the CPF from an old guy!

"Outshining" is one of our secret pleasures even if some of us won't admit it. At least it's a no-cal indulgence. Have fun. :wave:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
"Outshining"... good term, Jayflash. I'm guilty of having done it once or twice but not with the intention of outclassing the other person; it's more of a comparison for me, as well as a willingness to be helpful by putting a lot of light where it's needed. I'm careful not to look like I'm trying to put down the other person or his/her light, and I usually wind up gently erxplaining the many benefits of upgrading to something better, even if it's only a Mag drop-in that they can afford. There are many nice lights that I can't afford myself so I try to be sensitive to that.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I've fired up my lod q4 and had some immediate responces(mostly good),it starts conversation and ends generally on a good note.And who here is not going to admit they haven't shown off their toys or even brought out a sub arsenal for a competitor...I thought it was a humorous post;).

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
Dude, is it that bad? I work as a security guard in Sweden and I have twice that salary. Guess we are lucky over here in this aspect. BTW at the moment i am an illuminated s.o.b. carrying my 2c mag with 3 ssc svoh LEDS powered by 3 MM plus modules and 2 Nimh's.

Security guards typically make ten bucks an hour. Its likely as not they have what they can afford. Now me, I somehow find a way. But I'm a flashaholic, or on my to becoming one.

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
Some make fun of my new flashlight obsession, but I gave my brother in law my Amilite T5 last night and he couldn't put it down. He just kept saying "I can't believe how bright this thing is"!

Yapo

Enlightened
yeh its funny when you see non flashaholics use theyre dim incandesent/stock minimags or multiple 5mm led lights with AA/AAA or hand crank powered (for the ones who's trying to be "in" with technology)...but then again i was one of those ppl a few years ago i must admit...

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Dude, is it that bad? I work as an armed security guard at a facility of national interest here in Sweden and I have twice that salary. Guess we are lucky over here in this aspect. BTW at the moment i am an illuminated s.o.b. carrying my 2c mag with 3 ssc svoh LEDS powered by 3 MM plus modules and 2 Nimh's.

Yes, its that bad. Some positions pay more, some less. Better paying positions generally want LEO or military experience. Theres exceptions but in general its a very poor paying field here.

sawlight

Enlightened
It makes no sense to me, here are people we are ENTRUSTING to keep things secure, but pay them as minimully as we can. If thats not an oxymoron, I don't know what is!!!!

I have "outshined" people before! I love it when they come up all cocky about the minimag led upgrade they got at Wa-Mart telling me there is nothing like it on the market!! Or the cocky jerk cop that acts like he is going to beat you with his 2D mag, because he can, then I pull out my 120P and he wimpers away!!!
Good on you for showing them "the light"!!!! For the price of that Mag and a couple sets of batteries, he could have a Fenix, or at least a 6P (the cops here in town are finally catching up to technology that is fifteen years old):welcome:

And post count don't mean squat, it's whats in the post that matters!