I out shined security

allburger

Enlightened
Ok, anyone here not going to say anything about starting a bonfire at a apartment complex? You should have been arrested instead of just approached by security.

ARRESTED???? Since when is having a bonfire grounds for being thrown in jail and having to appear in court. We did this in a safe manner and posed no harm to anyone or anything.

Worst case scenario, the cops or security in this case would tell us to put it out and clean it up in the morning. Like they did in this case.

In some cases i could see a ticket or a fine, but everyone here is talking about going to jail and getting arrested. Come on!

ghostguy6

Enlightened
First of all welcome to CPF:welcome:

I work security for one of the largest security firms in Canada and the only lights we are issued 2AA dollar store incans with the exception of a 2D maglite and traffic wand that are kept in the security vehicles for emergency purposes. There arent even any extra batteries in the vehicles:shakehead I am currently stationed at a hospital where the policy on flashlights is " Security is not permitted to carry any flashlight that exceeds 8 inches in length. Flashlights using 2 or more "C" or "D" sized batteries are not permitted while on hospital property as they may be perceived as impact weapons and will result in immediate termination". Throughout the hospital all the nursing stations, storage rooms and emergency stations have 2 D cell Eveready light. The nurses even allow the patients in the psych ward are allowed to carry 2D cell lights but security isnt?
I am one of the few people who work there that carry a decent light ( 6P with a BOG drop in), the other being another gaurd who carries a streamlight stinger. Most of the other guards can not afford to spend the money on a decent light that fits into to rules set by the hospital at the pay we make If there was ever a situation that required a mass evacuation at night that hospital would be in serious trouble since none of the guards would be accurately be prepared for the low light conitions.
I hope your outshining that security guard inspited him to upgrade to something useful.:wave:

husky20

Banned
ARRESTED???? Since when is having a bonfire grounds for being thrown in jail and having to appear in court. We did this in a safe manner and posed no harm to anyone or anything.

Worst case scenario, the cops or security in this case would tell us to put it out and clean it up in the morning. Like they did in this case.

In some cases i could see a ticket or a fine, but everyone here is talking about going to jail and getting arrested. Come on!
a flying ember enters someones attic and wipes out a half dozen people or burns down part of the complex ya bonfires at an apartment or condo brilliant idea must have been started by a couple of rocket scientist:buddies::whoopin:

allburger

Enlightened
a flying ember enters someones attic and wipes out a half dozen people or burns down part of the complex ya bonfires at an apartment or condo brilliant idea must have been started by a couple of rocket scientist:buddies::whoopin:

I'm quite sure we were doing just fine. Thank you for your interest and concern though.

winston

Enlightened
SECURITY IS YOUR OWN JOB - I cant begin to tell you how I feel about this statement.. If it is your own job, then maybe you can, on your own free time of course, do the following: 1) Patrol your neighborhood 2) Issue summonses and make arrests regarding public safety since they indirectly affect you in some way 3) Answer your communities concerns, or at the very least handle your very own concerns 4) Put yourself in dangerous situations with only a split second of reaction time to protect someone you dont know or even yourself 5) Take your own criminal reports and investigate them
And develop nuclear weapons. I don't think it's much of a stretch to categorize the deterrent effect of a nuclear missile shield as "security."
-Winston

Off-topic: I always think of nuclear weapons and streetlights whenever I hear someone complain about taxes. I wonder why that thought just popped into my head?:thinking:

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
my concern was not for you but for the other Innocent people who live in that complex Einstein.:twak:
He could slip and die in the shower in the morning too. Or get hit by lightning and maybe even win the lottery. The odds of any of those happening is not very good.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
o ya i forgot Fire is just so very predictable

Some kids in my town, many years ago, were lighting coal dust, and putting it out by urinating on it, etc. They thought it was out, and went off to the public pool. Not much later an entire block our our town was in flames and we lost many historic buildings.

http://www.pennridge.org/p/p-fire88.html

Last edited:

jag808808

Enlightened
allburger:welcome:

I too started with more affordable lights! I was given a Steamlight TwinTask 3AA and was my EDC for 5 years before I purchased a Fenix L2D-CE.

I now have multiply Fenixes, Surefires, and miscellaneous lights!!! I just traded for my first MilkySeouled L1!!! You have entered a fun and expensive hobby. Next purchase is a Ti McGizmo...:bow: Or a Malkoff drop-in...:D

I love outshining someone during a blackout. Nothing gets more giggles from a flashoholic than when you light up a park or shining an object a hundred yards away.

You have joined a great forum for expertise. Not to mention the great deals in the Marketplace! I find myself spending alot of money and time here but nowhere near the big dawgs. Enjoy and welcome! Aloha!!!

allburger

Enlightened
allburger:welcome:

I too started with more affordable lights! I was given a Steamlight TwinTask 3AA and was my EDC for 5 years before I purchased a Fenix L2D-CE.

I now have multiply Fenixes, Surefires, and miscellaneous lights!!! I just traded for my first MilkySeouled L1!!! You have entered a fun and expensive hobby. Next purchase is a Ti McGizmo...:bow: Or a Malkoff drop-in...:D

I love outshining someone during a blackout. Nothing gets more giggles from a flashoholic than when you light up a park or shining an object a hundred yards away.

You have joined a great forum for expertise. Not to mention the great deals in the Marketplace! I find myself spending alot of money and time here but nowhere near the big dawgs. Enjoy and welcome! Aloha!!!

Actually ive actually been on this site for quite some time. I would say its been almost a year now. Now until probably 6 months ago did i register.

Actually i started with buying a fenix. Im not counting the 3d mag and the mini mag and that stuff. Its not until recently that i got the ultrafire. Which happens to be a great little light. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a 2 123a light. Its a great little light for the price considering im 23 and working part time at menards while going through college.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
All you did was buy a flashlight. That's not an accomplishment or point of pride. You bought something. I'm impressed by the people who figured out how to get more light out of an LED, and how to package and market a light so people are willing to pay $100's for it. Those people did something to distinguish themselves. Anyone with money or a credit card can buy something, and they won't be any more special for having done it.

So....you have no pride in any of your possessions? Perhaps your car or your home or a collectible somethingorother?

tobjectpascal

Banned
When i did Security when i was landed with the job of keeping this half a million dollar mobile circus safe (creates of every kind of beer, spirit) just laying around on the floor not even locked up, we got given wait for it a MAGLITE 4 D Cells, ok fine 2 years ago LED's were only just appearing for general use of 120+ lumens same brightness as a maglite but my issue is now that we have 200+ lumen output from just a couple of aa's and 500 lumens from 3 XR-E led's in a single unit flashlight why is it security in particularly love maglites

The answer my friends is that you can carry one of them around and it's not considered to be a weapon however it can inflict just as much damage as any baton lol, that's why security love maglites what innova need to do is make a nice big solid flashlight people can use to beat people around the head with, it could be just 5 lumens as long as you can hit a person with it :))

That's my view.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes no sense to me, here are people we are ENTRUSTING to keep things secure, but pay them as minimully as we can. If thats not an oxymoron, I don't know what is!

Really, using the term "security" guard in most instances is absurd. Ask most any "security" guard what he has been told his job duty is, and he will tell you it is to "observe and report."

tobjectpascal

Banned
Really, using the term "security" guard in most instances is absurd. Ask most any "security" guard what he has been told his job duty is, and he will tell you it is to "observe and report."

Not totally true when i worked for Castalloy / Ion (they made rims for harley davidson) the contract specified checking water levels, pulling dipsticks out of tanks to measure the level, checking furnis temperature checks having to call out an engineer if it got too hot or too cold, one job was to monitor the level of a certain bay if it rained too much it would overflow now the last time it overflowed toxic chemicals were released into the normal sewers and SA water fined them $250,000 for it now security were being held responsible for this and if we failed to do our job we could end up in court no laughing matter, i know a gaurd who had to check a pump, this pump decided to catch fire he turned it off, if he had not of done so who knows what would have happened, another job was to switch on the oven and switch it off pulling the chain lifting up the gate ... none of which we were trained for none of which was in the job description but the contracts employers agree to, to get the job can often take advantage "do this do that" nobody else will agree so whoever does gets the job, it's really quite pathetic.

I got so pissed off with all this "extra" work half expecting you to be a worker as well as doing your own job, i mean security are the first ones to get the call we forward it on, we're the ones who have to deal with bomb threats, we're the ones who have to deal with all the prank phone calls, do I expect someone who puts molten metal liquid into a mold to do my job? so why should i should i have to do their job.

I know security get looked down on, but you try spending the day handing out keys, stopping every single vehicle that enters and looking in the back, signing books to say who's in and who's out as well as taking phone calls, i would quite often be alone dealing with 5 calls in a row leaving a queue of 5 or 6 cars as well as huge trucks, i would spend most of the morning with people complaining i'm holding them up because i have to do what i'm told, while that's going on i also had to sign taxi vouchers for workers who were ill or had accidents to take them off to the hospital, sign pieces of paper so a person can go and unload the truck while that's going on i had to issue keys to people and to top it off every 40 minutes i had to patrol locking down the front gates having to rush back when a truck came...

to put it simple, if you're unlucky security is a stressful job, nobody's happy and when the sh*t hits the fan you're the one who has to explain why you let something get stolen either from an employee or because you never wrapped the chain around the all gates properly and locked all the locks, as you can tell from my tone i absolutely hated this job..

Crowd Control, interesting but always concerned about getting hurt breaking up fights, stopping brawls, dealing with angry customers, i've seen it all..

As for night work doing patrols, yeah easy enough and you don't get paid much but as someone else pointed out, almost every other officer i've worked with have all pointed out how they got hurt or came close to being seriously hurt from idiots who decide to try and stab you, one guy was in his patrol car he rolled down the window a guy a few meters away said "hey mate what's the time" next thing he knew he lunged at him through the window with the screwdriver luckily he managed to duck out the way.. you might feel a little nervous coming home on a dark night to your own home you don't know who's lurking in the shadows but if that's your job to go into those shadows there's that constant worry....

so instead of just mocking security please have a little respect this might be you one day for whatever reason that is and believe me, $10 an hour is not worth your life.

Latest posts