I out shined security

yekim

Enlightened
As a Security Guard, I can tell you that if you get issued a stock 3D Maglite; count yourself lucky. The only equipment that is typically issued is an electronic "wand," used to make sure that security guards are actually doing their patrols instead of sleeping.

If you work at night, expect to be told by a supervisor to bring your own light. Mine suggested a 2AA Mini-Mag. The two el-cheapo, D-cell lights in the patrol vehicle don't even have batteries inside of them. They look like they were dug out of a dumpster. I know for a fact that the place where I work issues various Streamlight products to their employees.... but not to the security guards since we are considered "contractors." The client expects the security company to provide us with proper equipment. But that would eat a tiny bit into their profits, so they don't.

Part of my job is to check for leaks.... Leaks that if they occur, are going to be a Haz-Mat issue. Good thing I'm a flashaholic with a nice collection of lights. :ironic:

Yeah.... The security industry in general is a joke. Even more so here, in NYC.

I gotta laugh....we got 3d mags issued to us too. At least they are the LED versions which are not bad and take the abuse of constant use pretty well.

I carry an SF L2 or a Fenix l2d when on shift myself.

I work port security, not a bad gig really.

Really, using the term "security" guard in most instances is absurd. Ask most any "security" guard what he has been told his job duty is, and he will tell you it is to "observe and report."

You are demonstrating that lack of understanding about the job that most people suffer from. "Observe and report" is the standard OP of all security, along with being a visual deterrence. Our job is to prevent losses being suffered by the client, in either direct product loss, or from vandalism, etc. Much of that is accomplished by just the presence of security personnel, the rest of it done through observation and reporting of incidents, either to the client or to law enforcement. I am not a dispenser of justice, and I certainly am not paid enough to take a round for anyone...so, what would you have "security" be doing?

In the end, all I care about is feeding my family, don't disparage me.

Last edited:

mycandle

Newly Enlightened
So....you have no pride in any of your possessions? Perhaps your car or your home or a collectible somethingorother?

If someone buys a flashlight that costs as much as a house, I'll change my mind and be impressed

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: To Tobjectpascal and Yekim

Theres a difference between pride and trying to "one up" someone. Pride is a personal thing, you don;t need to prove anything

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
I am rather enjoying the different view points of the posters in this thread but there are a few who are starting to snip at each other.

Please can we keep this civilised & help prevent the Mods having to come & lock up another interesting thread.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I am rather enjoying the different view points of the posters in this thread but there are a few who are starting to snip at each other.

Please can we keep this civilised & help prevent the Mods having to come & lock up another interesting thread.

Exactly why I said in my earlier that it was a pointless thread... but I guess I'm wrong since it reached three pages!:crackup:I knew it would come to this but I just love watching wrecks.

Anyway, here where I live if you start a fire in a place where your not supposed to, you'll surely find yourself in jail. Just be safe when you play with fire.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
But imagine coming across a security professional who was a flashaholic CPFer. The tables could easily turn!

sawlight

Enlightened
But imagine coming across a security professional who was a flashaholic CPFer. The tables could easily turn!

And that would be a day I would enjoy!!!! A Professional that is actually aware of and using better tools for their job!!!
Yes, I get a kick out of "outshining" someone that thinks the Mag is the "end all beat all light", but those same people ask me "what kind of light is that?" And I get to educate them there are better options out there, and hopefully they learn and use them, then they can teach others!! If I hadn't stumbled on this site in my search for LED upgrades for the Mini-mags, I'd still be a flashlight moron!!

"If we can just save one person, then it will be worth it!":twothumbs

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Yeah, but he lives in MI, not the tinderbox known as California.

I know that I'm not stupid, I can actually see it above his post number. I'm just stating a fact. I guess people here are more civilized to actually realized that having a bonfire in an apartment complex is very dangerous... and stupid.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I know that I'm not stupid, I can actually see it above his post number. I'm just stating a fact. I guess people here are more civilized to actually realized that having a bonfire in an apartment complex is very dangerous... and stupid.

Where I live, there are lots of places that one can safely have a bonfire in an apartment complex. So it turns out that you're not really stating a fact.