I'm getting married, who would be interested in making a titanium wedding band ?

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
I'm getting married next month, these are the rings we picked:

rings.jpg

White gold & Titanium

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
MayCooper said:
I'm getting married next month, these are the rings we picked:
White gold & Titanium

Congrats ! Too bad, I'll be out of the EU.

CDI

Newly Enlightened
bad idea, dude. An EMT ring cutter won't cut a Ti ring. One of the hippy-granolas in the college town south of here had one and got bitten by a copperhead on the left hand, and the ring cutter that showed up on the bus wouldn't do much more than nick it....he lost the finger because his hand swelled so much before they could get him to the hospital they couldn't even reach it with a cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool.

Any hand injuries, and that ring has to come off NOW. I thought Ti rings were cool till I heard that story.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
CDI said:
bad idea, dude. An EMT ring cutter won't cut a Ti ring. One of the hippy-granolas in the college town south of here had one and got bitten by a copperhead on the left hand, and the ring cutter that showed up on the bus wouldn't do much more than nick it....he lost the finger because his hand swelled so much before they could get him to the hospital they couldn't even reach it with a cut-off wheel on a Dremel tool.

Any hand injuries, and that ring has to come off NOW. I thought Ti rings were cool till I heard that story.

Hmmmm.....

Norm

Retired Administrator
CDI said:

Interesting story, like you that is something I'd never considered, thanks for the info.
Norm

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
CDI said:

My understanding is that a standard ring cutter can cut off a titanium ring. At least that's what I recall when I researched it a few years back.

Zman

Enlightened
I bought mine here
They have a lot of experience with titanium, and were very friendly and accommodating.

My actual wedding band is pictured here

I wasn't a big fan of diamonds, but I needed them to match my wife's band.

Charlie

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
CDI said:

I agree 100%...Ti, and the new popular Tungsten rings come with that risk. Even with an injury that may seem relatively minor, if swelling is a result of the injury where the ring must be remove to restore circulation to the finger...you're SOL.

TB

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Datasaurusrex said:
My understanding is that a standard ring cutter can cut off a titanium ring. At least that's what I recall when I researched it a few years back.
Only if it's a very, very thin band...

Big thick and chunky mens rings are very popular now.

TB

Norm

Retired Administrator
Zman said:
I wasn't a big fan of diamonds, but I needed them to match my wife's band.

Charlie
Whatever I choose won't mach my wifes ring, hers has to match my grandmothers engagement ring, so it will need to be a little oldfasioned.
Norm

CDI

Newly Enlightened
TranquillityBase said:
I agree 100%...Ti, and the new popular Tungsten rings come with that risk. Even with an injury that may seem relatively minor, if swelling is a result of the injury where the ring must be remove to restore circulation to the finger...you're SOL.

TB

You'd have to be out of your mind to have a tungsten ring. Either that or not be real attached to any particular finger.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
CDI said:
You'd have to be out of your mind to have a tungsten ring. Either that or not be real attached to any particular finger.
I'm attatched to all of my fingers equally.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I have read that the WC rings are quite hard to cut off, but I thought they could be 'cracked' off as they are extremely hard but not tough. Wouldn't that make them slightly easier to deal with than a tough Ti alloy?

Andrew

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
What if the ring were "cut" during manufacture, so it's really a closed-up C, instead of an O.
It should be possible to do this without affecting the appearance of the ring.

Then you'd only have to be able to bend the metal to get the ring off.

DasRonin

Newly Enlightened
Emergency Removal of Tungsten Rings
Rings made of extremely hard materials, like tungsten carbide or ceramic, can only be removed by cracking them into pieces with standard vice grip–style locking pliers. Standard ring cutters will not work.

Place vice grip–style locking pliers over ring and adjust the jaws to clamp lightly. Release and adjust tightener one-third turn and then clamp again. Repeat until a crack is heard, and then continue clamping in different positions until the hard material breaks away. Take care not to slide or rotate the cracked ring on the finger. If the ring contains an inlay of gold, the exposed gold can then be cut or clipped in the usual fashion.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium cannot be hardened a lot if I recall, so it means a lot of scratches. I'd go for tungsten (no I didn't miss all the finger stuff). How likely do you ever need to have it cutoff? I bet you'll be more likely to die in a car crash.

Latest posts