importing to uk

Kiessling

Flashaholic
same thing here in Germany.
all the "high class couriers" always declare things at customs and pay that bill for you in advance and collect it later.
with USPS you are often very lucky, but sometimes you'll have to fetch your package at the local customs office and pay ... and german customs offices are real nightmares, I can tell ya!
bernhard

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too have had good luck with USPS...i'm not from britain but the last time i ordered directly from arc who shipped my order via fedex, i got nailed by customs taxes. i haven't had a package lost through USPS yet. the worst that's happened is a couple of delayed packages.

Mark2

Enlightened
I like TNT very much, it's not too expensive and it's fast and reliable. UPS and DHL also worked flawlessly for me, but they are expensive. USPS lost one of two packages sent to me by Meridian Tactical and there is NO insurance, there is no way to recover the loss. In my opinion, this is not acceptable.

sc1276

Newly Enlightened
i bought my arc from peter direct, so it got sent via Fedex, when it arrived at stansted, it was kept in the bonded warehouse, they sent a fax to the university where i work to ask for the vat exemption cert. so i had to then ring up and tell them that it was for me, and not for the uni, pointing out that having it delivered to my house was kind of pointless as i would be at work, which was why i sent it to where i worked. after that they cleared it straight away, and it arrived he next day. had no charges or anything. just luck of the draw i suppose
sc

Cones

Enlightened
Hate to say it.
But I think FedEx will send you a Customs bill. They are usually sent later by post after the goods have been delivered. Charges are pre calculated by the computer before the parcel has even left the USA. That is unless the total price including postage is under £18. Which is unlikely.

I am still waiting for my ******* refund from them for the first lost parcel.

Mark

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
cones: i hear you. it was my first time getting a big order delivered by fedex, and after i'd worked out the cost to be split up including the shipping and exchange rate taken into account (did a mass order) and distributed the stuff, they nail me with the customs bill. i was so annoyed, not because i didn't want to pay it but because i didn't know it was coming, or i would have included it in the price to be split up between the people who participated in the mass order. i haven't paid it yet, and nothing's happened yet so i'll just wait and see.

Cones

Enlightened
They will wait about 3 weeks.
Then you will get a letter from their debt collecting agency. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Mark

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some goodies from a US dealer arrived at my front door today. Had to pay the postman £65 in tax and duties before he would hand it over! £65 would by me a lot of CR123's...

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I'm not talented enough to mod flashlights, make lanyards, host a review site, or comfortable enough with my 'expertise' to reply to most posts. My forte seems to be the ability to stand in line at the Post Office.

With that being said I guess I'll make my contribution to CPF by acting as a forwarding agent to International members who wish to ship via USPS.

I have no problem going to the Post Office for CPF members. I work at DTW, the big airport in Detroit, and the PO is open from 0600 to 2400 seven days a week. I go to the PO in the morning before I get off work, and rarely do I have to wait in line.

I will do this as long as it doesn't become a full time job.

I won't charge anything except what the actual postage cost.

Here is a link to the USPS web site for postage cost. A flashlight with no box, like an ARC, will fit in a small Global Priority Mail Flat-rate Envelope for $5. A small Surefire, in its box, will barely fit in a large Flat-rate Envelope for $9. These are overseas rates; Canadian rates are $4 and $6, respectively. All other items would have to be sent Airmail Letter or Parcel Post.

What works best is for you to order from whoever and put my address as the 'send to' address. When I receive the item(s) I send them along to you at the much cheaper USPS rate. Insurance on the package is up to you. I usually mark the 'gift' box on the Customs label and declare between full price and half price, whichever you'd like. If I declare a lesser value, the invoices from the senders will be mailed separately.

I have a PayPal Personal account for paying me from a checking account and I have a PayPal Business account for paying me from a credit card. PayPal charges me (and me you) for a credit card transaction to my Business account but have no charges for a checking account transaction to my Personal account.

PM me if you are interested.

M

MeridianTactical

Now you know why I ship Via USPS Global Express by default for forign orders /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A lot of customers from above, and many more who have saved lots in taxes vs. FedEx or UPS.

Plus it inexpensive.

I have heard many horror stories on inport taxes, but I have also heard how much some US items go for in the UK and Japan! OUCH!!! Its still cheaper to get stuff from the US.

Chris

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
KSBman, you da man!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I may take you up on your offer very soon... Thanks in advance!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ross

Enlightened
Guys (& ksbman - very generous offer by the way!) - follow thses rules and you should be better off:

1. Send the item in your personal name
2. Describe the item as "Lighting Part/Accessory"
3. Describe the package as a "Gift"
4. Declare a value of only US$22
5. Do not include any invoice/document indicating a price

ALways works for me.

Ross

kev1-1

Enlightened
I second bernhard's big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif for Chris...he has saved me loads over the past few months!! Thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened
GeoffChan...I believe that $22 is the amount below which UK customs won't tax you. I think...!! It may be similar in AUS?