Inside the Jetbeam Element (Nudity, make the kids leave the room)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is a concern to see a lack of thermal paste under there. I will mention it to JB next time I hear from them.

I just ran my R2 on NiMH for 15 minutes, and it did get quite warm. I'm glad I went back in and removed the steel washer. Steel is a bad conductor of heat. Especially when it's cupped and the little bit of epoxy under it is barely squeezed out. :p Now it's an aluminum star to copper discs to the aluminum pill. And since the reflector screws onto the pill, there is plenty of path for the heat to reach the S/S body now. :D

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, since I haven't been modding Lux to SSC, I have these little copper things laying around unused. :devil:
Man, Ive been looking for some of those for some time, can you spare some?? PM me.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM Sent!

FYI, a microscope view of the red LED die is now my avatar. :grin2:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this something I should fix on my bone stock E3P ?

The best way to tell if it's a problem is to do the following. Find another LED light that is a similar tint to the Element. Run the Element with your favorite battery for 3 minutes. Turn on your other light and compare the tints. Did the Element emitter get bluer than the other one? If so, your emitter is getting too hot and needs better heat sinking.

P.S. both these lights are prostituting themselves at the marketplace.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will mention it to JB next time I hear from them.

I just converted two Pro-ST-III, one normal and one broad voltage. Both had no thermal compound under the emitter board either! :shakehead

geek4christ

Enlightened
I just converted two Pro-ST-III, one normal and one broad voltage. Both had no thermal compound under the emitter board either! :shakehead

That's insane!

I know they at least used to know what thermal compound was, because my CL-E v2 had gobs of it under the star. Very sad that they've forgotten about it now, though.

1anrm

Enlightened
Newb here. Why shame on JB? I read the rest of the thread where some modding was going on but is this something I should fix on my bone stock E3P ?

Thanks for the education

Bob

edit EngrPaul said it best.

Last edited:

lightforce2

Enlightened
Here's disassembly of a SECOND Jetbeam.

See also a picture of a RED LED I'm going to put in.

IMG_3058.jpg

Wow EngrPaul, this photo caught my attention! Where did you obtain the red cree's on these small bases?

I've been searching everywhere for red cree's on 13mm to 15mm bases with no luck, the smallest I can find is 17mm at Cutter. I'm trying to find red cree's to fit into a Dereelight pill, even Alan at Dereelight could not find them for me

Hope you can help.

thanks

lightforce2

Enlightened
Thanks for the info EngrPaul

I "lifted" a red emitter from a 17mm base & a Q5 from a 14mm base, then reflow soldered them to opposing bases. My god, they worked too :eek:

cheers