Introducing Mac XM-L Series

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
P1060520-vi.jpg

mikesantor

Enlightened
That last light is amazing. If I had the skills to make anything I could dream up like you I would never leave the shop. Did you get divorced within the last month because you have cranked out WAY too much cool stuff in the last 30 days to have any other kind of life...

Good stuff as always Mac.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
That last light is amazing. If I had the skills to make anything I could dream up like you I would never leave the shop. Did you get divorced within the last month because you have cranked out WAY too much cool stuff in the last 30 days to have any other kind of life...

Good stuff as always Mac.

It's called "Time to make the yearly machine payment" that I somehow forgot about.

Mac

Glowmo

Enlightened
It's a XM-L 26650 series light cerakoted Tungsten Grey with a prototype head. It's available for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks Mac

If the light has one XM-L with neutral tint in it, :takeit:

If so, please PM me the total including registered shipping to Germany.

Thanks,

Moritz

Glowmo

Enlightened
:paypal: for the beautiful "XM-L 26650 series light cerakoted Tungsten Grey with a prototype head"

Many thanks :thumbsup:

Mac,
Same question for the XM-L serie with a 18650 tube..
As I've got my birthday coming up on january 19th.. Do you think I have a chance to get it for then?

Thanks anyway for making some so beautiful lights..

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
Will the protected 4sevens 26650 fit? I believe they are a tiny bit longer and wider than the unprotected cells.

My Ti 26650 came today and the 4/7 protected battery does not fit well, the diameter is a hair to big I could force it in the tube but decided to pull out before it got stuck also concerned the shrink wrap would tear and cause a short

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Ti 26650 came today and the 4/7 protected battery does not fit well, the diameter is a hair to big I could force it in the tube but decided to pull out before it got stuck also concerned the shrink wrap would tear and cause a short

The 47 cells must be really fat as i have 3 different test cells that fit loosely.

Mac

CMAG

Enlightened
The 47 cells must be really fat as i have 3 different test cells that fit loosely.

Mac
I have 3 other brands also and all fit fine. It is the flat wire running from PCB to + on the 4/7 cell , I removed the CPB and they fit fine
Anyways there are the King Kong 26650 can still be bought from Intl-outdoor

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got Mine yesterday and love it.

Awesome! I really like the 26650 size light and am quite suprised I have only sold a few of them. Man it stinks to be sick! 8 million things to do but can't do anything with this head cold.....can barely type!

Thanks Mac

flashflood

Enlightened
Awesome! I really like the 26650 size light and am quite suprised I have only sold a few of them.

I like it too -- and in better economic times, I'd order one.

However, with limited flashlight dollars to allocate, I'm not doing any more 26650 until they improve the energy density. The 26650 is massive compared to the 18650, yet gives you only about 33% more capacity (4000 mAh vs. 3000).

I currently have only one light that uses 26650 -- ElektroLumens' Big Bruiser, which is a triple-XML light. It is powered by a single 26650, and for that application, it makes sense -- because the light draws 10A and the MNKE 26650 cells are the only thing that can sustain that.

In the case of your single-XML lights, 18650 can provide ample power, so the 26650 adds a lot of bulk but only 33% more battery life.

Also -- I have to be honest here -- as much as I love the EDC series, the XML-xxx50 series with the interchangeable heads just doesn't do it for me aesthetically. I like the look of the big one (26650), but don't like the battery; and the smaller ones just look a bit clunky. To me. I may be the only person on earth who feels this way, but speaking as a huge fan of most of your stuff, I feel I owe you the honest feedback.

easilyled

Flashaholic
However, with limited flashlight dollars to allocate, I'm not doing any more 26650 until they improve the energy density. The 26650 is massive compared to the 18650, yet gives you only about 33% more capacity (4000 mAh vs. 3000).

Please remember that these are only the manufacturer ratings which are often completely wrong when it comes to battery capacity as many real tests have shown.

flashflood

Enlightened
Please remember that these are only the manufacturer ratings which are often completely wrong when it comes to battery capacity as many real tests have shown.

True enough. In fact, reality is worse than what I stated above:

The AW IMR 18650 cells claim 1600 mAh.
The AW black 18650 cells claim 2900.
The orange MNKE 26650 cells claim 4000.

For both kinds of AW 18650 cells, this is very close to what I measure on my CellPro charger (e.g. full charge of AW IMR 18650 typically reports 1570 mAh in). For the 26650, I have never seen anything close to 4000 -- best to date is around 2800. They may improve with a few more cycles, but definitely disappointing thus far. And unfortunately there isn't much competition in the 26650 space. In fact, as far as I can tell, there is no such thing as a LiCo 26650.