Just recieved Surefire E1B backup, mixed thoughts on Quality Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrot

Flashaholic
I think you should just send it back if you're going to obsess over all these details. Obviously you're not happy so why bother getting frustrated over it?

I say send it back, or learn to live with it.

I am not seeing a lot of purpose to this thread. Don't like the appearance of your SF, send it back. Never bought a SF for its cosmetic appeal, and don't plan to in the future. Even Don does not sell his lights for their purely cosmetic appeal. It is time for this thread to end.

Bill

Yup.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my E1B and Surefire but I think because your sending it back anyway just get a refund and spend that money on a HDS Ra Clicky 140 or 170. I really do love Surefire but the HDS is such a better light in that size.

Don't assume that Ra comes fantastically clean brand new. I have a 2/3 inch scratch on the battery tube before the anodizing was applied over it. The reflector do have a few dust specks on it too. But I bought this light to use and abuse so I don't care.

carrot

Flashaholic
My backup has some small spots too.
Guess, which light do I like/use more? :)
Backup-1.jpg
Nothing quite like the wear and tear of Every Day Carry, eh? Mine's got a few blemishes, too... heh.

(click the images for the full-sized version)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
ebow86, as has been said before by many, including myself, the defects you have mentioned is normal. It is not a defect per say but if you are unhappy then send it back. Mismatched ano is normal too. Unlike some other brands, SF anodize their parts individually (bezel, tube, & tail cap) to control the thickness of the anodizing and there is no way to ensure the ano color would come out consistent. If it does appear to match then you have strike the lottery. One reason why many manufacturer chose to use black for ano instead of leaving it natural is because it is easier to do black anodizing and maintain consistency in color from light to light. Chinese made lights seem perfectly matched in ano because they just dip everything into the tank. My experience with Chinese made lights shows that a lot of them either never give you real HA III but claimed they did, or they have such a thin layer it wears in a few weeks or couple months of usage. I have an SF M2 which has been with me way before I join CPF, and other than some dings from me dropping it, the anodizing is still perfect. Can't say that for my Chinese lights.

Give SF another chance to make it right. If by then you are not happy then ask for a refund. Honestly, we have not seen a single photo of your light and have no idea how bad the light may be based on your description alone.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Colour shade and hue miss-match of 'Natural' type III "Hard" anodisation is not a problem or issue. It shows the finish is created for the purpose of performance rather than aesthetic.

purelite

Enlightened
I actually really like the "mismatch" of SF Nat. HaIII lights.

Their Anno. is definitely thicker and more robust than other lights. The only one I can think of that is close is the Jetbeam IIIM.

Whats with the "Shut this thread down " stuff its pointless? Discussing this stuff is not pointless to everyone, just to you . I will use your own advice, if you dont want to read it and its pointless to you then go to another thread on here and read that one. There are plenty of other threads that you will find worthy of your time .:thumbsup:

Overall what this thread does is help the OP make a decision and also ultimately show what a great product and company Surefire is and worthy of your hard earned dollars if you can afford it.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I am not seeing a lot of purpose to this thread. Don't like the appearance of your SF, send it back. Never bought a SF for its cosmetic appeal, and don't plan to in the future. Even Don does not sell his lights for their purely cosmetic appeal. It is time for this thread to end.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

+3. It appears to me that all relevant advice has already been provided in this thread.

ztm

Banned
Guess they don't have gun shows or electronics swapmeets in your area either. Seen several dealers selling Fenix, Olight and Solarforce at my local shows.

Rarely and even then they don't have a good selection.

And to the post in general...I don't understand why some people need to point out why THEY think someone's opinion is "ridiculous" in their mind. Do you actually think that's going to change anything or just irritate people? I get both sides of this but in the end it is the OP's money and choice. It reminds me of "morning people" who think they are somehow better because they get up at 5am. It oozes smugness.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Whats with the "Shut this thread down " stuff its pointless? Discussing this stuff is not pointless to everyone, just to you.

I agree.
Closing the thread won't help anyone. This isn't the first thread about the anomaly on SF's anodizing, and certainly won't be the last.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you can ignore it. Nobody is forcing anyone to read it. I truly do not get people sometimes.
:crackup: Check this post out: "It reminds me of "morning people" who think they are somehow better because they get up at 5am. It oozes smugness." - What is all that about???:thinking::shrug:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Rarely and even then they don't have a good selection.

And to the post in general...I don't understand why some people need to point out why THEY think someone's opinion is "ridiculous" in their mind. Do you actually think that's going to change anything or just irritate people? I get both sides of this but in the end it is the OP's money and choice. It reminds me of "morning people" who think they are somehow better because they get up at 5am. It oozes smugness.
I ooze smugness so that I can crawl around CPF like a snail. Snails ooze mucus so that the sharp and abrasive ground doesn't hurt their delicate underbellies. My smugness offers much the same protection. :D :D :D

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ooze smugness so that I can crawl around CPF like a snail. Snails ooze mucus so that the sharp and abrasive ground doesn't hurt their delicate underbellies. My smugness offers much the same protection. :D :D :D
LOL!!!!:crackup:I've changed my mind, keep this thread open forever!!

James.... ;)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search said:
Are you going to actually use the light?

If so, I hope it looks like mine after a while. I've been carrying mine on and off duty for over a year and it's been to hell and come back for more. Surefire doesn't make their lights to take to light shows. They make them to work anywhere. Their main end user couldn't care less.

Search said:
Are you just going to look at it?

lol I didn't think so either.

carrot

Flashaholic
If so, I hope it looks like mine after a while. I've been carrying mine on and off duty for over a year and it's been to hell and come back for more. Surefire doesn't make their lights to take to light shows. They make them to work anywhere. Their main end user couldn't care less.

lol I didn't think so either.
lol, you do know you're talking to yourself right?

Status
Not open for further replies.