Lifetime Supply!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until you find the 3 cell bulbs, you could run it on 2 cell bulbs with a dummy cell - won't be as bright but it will light up.
That's actually no good for flashlight bulbs as it won't allow the gas fill to return tungsten back to the filament.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever this subject comes up, I look back and feel a sense of relief that I stocked up on 8 different bulb types. With my infrequent usage they should last a lifetime.

One thing I haven't loaded up for is the E2E. Thanks to TAD, and Lumens Factory there are still aftermarket options, which is fine as the stock bulb just doesn't do it for me.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I do love incand bulbs, I am rarely using them in real life. I still like taking some lights out of the box just for fun. Hence the selection of bulbs that I have stashed:

1. wa1111 - I use them in my M6 with the phd power pack, in my 6p with the fivemega sunlight module and aw 3-stage tail switch.

2. Fivemega's 1794, 11v axial and 1499 that I use in his 2x18350 and 3x18350 hosts

3. Fivemega's 6.6v axial, same as (1)

4. Mag 5D, same as (2)

5. All possible options for surefire A2: fivemega's, lumens factory, tad's, stock surefire

I do also have some wa1185 and 1909 but I have never used them

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ma tumba - Excellent choices. You've also named 5 bulbs I considered important for me to get while still available, and/or cheaper than now. The FM1794, 11V axial, Carley H1499 (thanks to Litho!), WA1185, and FM1909.

Also have a small stash of 623, 458, and some PARticularly high throw, GE PAR46's that I can't remember the name of at the moment (still available I think, but 3 - 4 X the price now).

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I`v got a fairly healthy collection of e10 MES bulbs in assorted voltages from 1.2v to 12v lensed and unlensed, as well as a few 7.2v flange types for my 6Ds. But I`m really finding it hard (impossible) to source a bi-pin for 3 AA `maglite` clone/copy, I can`t seem to find anything even close, I`d buy half a dozen if I could.

Brinkmann had a 3aa light called TriMax or something like that. Their bulbs are named Nexstar. Try searching eBay for some of those if you haven't found any yet.

There was a thread here about some bulbs by Lamptronix where a bunch of surplus bulbs from American F-14 fighter jet dashboard lamps were released. Tough as nails those are. Ugly beam but great for bi-pin 2 and 3 cell aa flashlights. There may be some of those still out there too. Sellers sold them 12 at a time for about a dollar apiece if I recall correctly.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Brinkmann had a 3aa light called TriMax or something like that. Their bulbs are named Nexstar. Try searching eBay for some of those if you haven't found any yet.

There was a thread here about some bulbs by Lamptronix where a bunch of surplus bulbs from American F-14 fighter jet dashboard lamps were released. Tough as nails those are. Ugly beam but great for bi-pin 2 and 3 cell aa flashlights. There may be some of those still out there too. Sellers sold them 12 at a time for about a dollar apiece if I recall correctly.

Thanks! I just had a look and they only have the 2.4v bulbs at the moment, but it`s great having another keyword I can use in searches for future use! :-D

325addict

Enlightened
I stocked up on WA bi-pin lamps while still available (more than 70 pieces of various types) and I've got a FULL carton box of 12X12X12" of all kinds of original Maglite bulbs... too many to list!
Also, 6 pieces of P90 Surefire D26 dropins, and various other SF bulbs and Lumens Factory bulbs... and 30 Carly bi-pin bulbs and 5 pieces FM1909 bulbs and and and....

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love this thread.

Actually, over last few months after I had resumed my every night walks in the park, I have been carrying incand lights only, with multi-level switches. I started with a 3x18350 fivemega focusable host with the 11v axial but swiftly moved to 2x18650 wa1111 in fm sunlight d26 module.

Today I will be trying an M6 with the 6v axial and the phd6 pack, for much more throw. I have 5 those axials and twice more wa1111. Almost zero right? :)

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
here`s my Incan collection/supply:

the top left isn`t empty it has my 3v Bi-pin bulbs in there, and the bottom right are my PR to E10 adapters that I made.
I collect a lot of retro incans and most of them take E10 MES bulbs, that`s why there`s quite a lot of them :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Looks like you have some really nice amounts of really old oem style bulbs.
Nice!!

(far left, 4 down, those 3 look similar to really early bulbs from the 1910's or so).

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's actually no good for flashlight bulbs as it won't allow the gas fill to return tungsten back to the filament.
This is referring to the halogen cycle which only applies to... halogen bulbs. So yes in that case it's best to run them at rated voltage or perhaps slightly below. But for regular incandescent bulbs (as in: no halogen gasses inside the bulb), it's different: lower working voltage = exponentially longer life. To find out more, search the intertubes for "lamp rerating".

Myself I own only a few incandescent flashlights. And I wouldn't consider stocking more than say, 3..5 spare bulbs for each. Unless they get thrown in my lap for free (which happens occasionally :) ).

Why? I rarely use these lights anyway. And each bulb represent a # of hours runtime. Say each bulb is designed to last ~1000h at rated voltage (do note that especially small bulbs are often overvolted in their normal applications). A stock of eg. 5 spare bulbs then represents 5000hrs of runtime, which is ~30 weeks or more than 1/2 year of continuous operation. No way I hit anywhere close to that with occasionally-for-fun use.

Yes there's drops etc, but I'm careful with my gear. So given the above it just doesn't make sense to keep money tied up in a lifetime stock of spare bulbs. Never mind that it's only a matter of time before popular bulb types are produced new again (if not already happening). Same as happened with old media like cassette tapes, vinyl records etc, or even some types of electronics tubes :huh: (no I kid you not!).

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Looks like you have some really nice amounts of really old oem style bulbs.
Nice!!

(far left, 4 down, those 3 look similar to really early bulbs from the 1910's or so).

Thanks, I have some quite old ones in there and I try to buy new old stock where possible as well (they last longer and most are a much better quality)
those you mentioned are 2.2v lensed bulbs, not sure of their age, but the frosted bulb in brass on the top row and 3 across is probably the oldest in there.

I wouldn't consider stocking more than say, 3..5 spare bulbs for each. Unless they get thrown in my lap for free (which happens occasionally ).

Why? I rarely use these lights anyway. And each bulb represent a # of hours runtime. Say each bulb is designed to last ~1000h at rated voltage (do note that especially small bulbs are often overvolted in their normal applications). A stock of eg. 5 spare bulbs then represents 5000hrs of runtime, which is ~30 weeks or more than 1/2 year of continuous operation. No way I hit anywhere close to that with occasionally-for-fun use.

Yes there's drops etc, but I'm careful with my gear. So given the above it just doesn't make sense to keep money tied up in a lifetime stock of spare bulbs. Never mind that it's only a matter of time before popular bulb types are produced new again (if not already happening). Same as happened with old media like cassette tapes, vinyl records etc, or even some types of electronics tubes (no I kid you not!).

That`s the difference though, I use mine every single day for about an hour, it soon mounts up! the idea that some of these bulbs and flashlights will outlive me someday makes me smile, because some of these bulbs and torches have already outlived their previous owners too! and so the cycle continues... :D

konifans

Enlightened
It is time to update my list. :devil:

ModelSpec.Base / GasQuantity
Maglite 1-cell AAA1.2V 0.3ABi Pin Vacuum?100Germany
Maglite 2-cell AA/AAA2.4V 0.3ABi Pin Xenon180Germany
Maglite 2-Cell C/D2.4VBi Pin Xenon
Maglite 4-cell C/D4.8V7
Maglite 6-cell C/D7.2V22
Maglite 4-cell C/D4.8VP13.5S / PR Xenon
42Mexico
Maglite 5-cell C/D6V16Mexico
Maglite 6-cell C/D7.2V32Mexico
Maglite 4-cell C/D MSA44.8VP13.5S / PR Krypton70Mexico
Maglite 2-Cell C/D2.4VP13.5S / PR Krypton
200Hong Kong
Maglite 3-Cell C/D3.6V100Hong Kong
Maglite 4-cell C/D4.8V15Hong Kong
Maglite 5-cell C/D6V2Hong Kong
Maglite 6-cell C/D7.2V66Hong Kong
WIXPR31017 XPR33.6V 0.85AP13.5S / PR Xenon160Japan
Osram HPR522.8V 0.85AP13.5S / PR Halogen
34+Germany
Osram HPR534V 0.85A24+Germany
HPR516.5V 0.7A7
Philips 2.4V 1.2A2.4V 1.2AP13.5S / PR Krypton9Hong Kong
Philips PR208.63V 0.5AP13.5S / PR Vacumm25Hong Kong
Philips 2222.25V 0.25AE10 / 222 Vacuum100Hong Kong
CEC 368 S.C.2.5V 0.2A 0.5WMidget Flanged20Taiwan?
Lamptronix LTX2429JT2.4-3.6V?Bi Pin Vacuum18
Streamlighte 6V Bi Pin4.8VBi Pin Xenon3
Maglite LR000016V 1.5AG4 Halogen60USA
UKE 14801 6V 2.1W4.8V14801 Xenon15USA / Mexico
Surefire P60 6V4.8VP60 Xenon
40+USA / Mexico
Surefire P90 9V7.2V2USA / Mexico
Surefire N903.6V + 3.6VN90 Halogen / Xenon13USA / Mexico
Surefire N33.6V + 3.6VN90 Halogen / Xenon2USA / Mexico
Surefire N14.8VN1 Xenon-Halogen3USA / Mexico
Surefire MN157.2VMN15 Xenon-Halogen7USA / Mexico
Surefire MN609.6V?MN60 Xenon-Halogen2USA / Mexico
Surefire MN619.6V?MN61 Xenon-Halogen1USA / Mexico
Philips 66056V 10WG4 Halogen42000hrs
Philips 73876V 10WG4 Halogen8Germany
Philips 73886V 20WG4 Halogen26Germany
Philips 57616V 30WG4 Halogen20Germany
Philips 702712V 50WG6.35 Halogen15Germany
Philips 702312V 100WG6.35 Halogen4Germany
Osram 642506V 20WG4 Halogen72Germany
Osram 6461012V 50WG6.35 Halogen6Germany
Osram 6462512V 100WG6.35 Halogen6Germany

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember a few years back looking for bulbs for my Streamlight Keymate and Pocketmate (basically solitaire and aaa minimag clones) and I ran across a site at eBay for some. I ordered all the guy had. Several twin packs if I recall correctly. So later that day I get a PM from the guy telling me he had some other bulbs from the 1980's. We exchanged a few messages back and forth and by the end of the day I had acquired a bunch of really hard to find bulbs like Maglite 7 cell, Pelican Big D bulbs, super rare Sigma bulbs and Pelican modules for long defunct dive lights and such. He was moving his hardware store across town and wanted to liquidate old stock. I ended receiving a box of stuff that was about a foot square and 6 inches tall.

If you have old Laser Products P60's there's a chance the bulb is a Streamlight Scorpion bulb. For a time before Osram got the contract, John Matthews was buying bulbs from Streamlight. Not that many bi-pin bulbs for 6 volt lights were being made so SureFire struck a deal with Streamlight for a short term solution to a bulb shortage. That helped save Streamlight actually. Streamlight lost a big case against Maglite not for a carbon copy of the minimag but for stamping the name on the bezel ring of C and D sized Excalibure lights. Tony had patented the name stamp on the bezel ring and when Streamlight infringed Tony nearly wiped out Streamlight who was famous with NASA for making 1-5 million candle power lights in New Jersey in the 1970's.

It's a small world in the flashlight biz. In the late 1960's Streamlite was contracted to mimic sunshine for the space program. They did a 5 million candlepower hand held (with shoulder carry near automobile sized battery) for NASA. Wealthy boaters and hunters loved the 1 million candlepower version. In 1973 the light was $99 and the battery $499. Good luck finding a bulb for that dude these days. Anyway Streamlight later joined the ranks of those trying to out Maglite Maglite. Tony was very protective of his patents. So when (now called) Streamlight bought Kel-Lite from Tonys buddy Don Kellers arch nemeisis and later infringed on Tonys bezel ring stamp patent he pounched. He won and Streamlight was bankrupt.

Well, Streamlight being in good graces with the US government built a light not that far off from John Matthews 6 volt number called "the SureFire". It was called Scorpion. John was familiar with folks in the US govsrnment as well and was trying to sell lights to the military under the name SureFire. So was Streamlight. Streamlight had won a small contract with metropolitan police departments on the east coast. SureFire had begun to gain traction with law enforcement on the west coast under the name Laser Products with its SureFire model. (Sidebar: procurement agents were reluctant to enquire about that 'laser products surefire 6' and kept asking "got any sure fires in stock?" so hence the name change.) So when SureFire was selling lights at a brisk pace to police departments John Matthews struck up a deal with Streamlight to supply some bulbs at a deep discount in order to avoid being hassled about that dang near clone called the Scorpion. Still hurting from the Maglite lawsuit they agreed and the rest is history. Eventually both went on to sell millions of flashlights to the US government along with state and local agencies.
So next time you use your old SureFire 6 remember it may have been one of the lights that helped Streamlight stay in business.

Last edited:

konifans

Enlightened
I remember a few years back looking for bulbs for my Streamlight Keymate and Pocketmate (basically solitaire and aaa minimag clones) and I ran across a site at eBay for some. I ordered all the guy had. Several twin packs if I recall correctly. So later that day I get a PM from the guy telling me he had some other bulbs from the 1980's. We exchanged a few messages back and forth and by the end of the day I had acquired a bunch of really hard to find bulbs like Maglite 7 cell, Pelican Big D bulbs, super rare Sigma bulbs and Pelican modules for long defunct dive lights and such. He was moving his hardware store across town and wanted to liquidate old stock. I ended receiving a box of stuff that was about a foot square and 6 inches tall.

If you have old Laser Products P60's there's a chance the bulb is a Streamlight Scorpion bulb. For a time before Osram got the contract, John Matthews was buying bulbs from Streamlight. Not that many bi-pin bulbs for 6 volt lights were being made so SureFire struck a deal with Streamlight for a short term solution to a bulb shortage. That helped save Streamlight actually. Streamlight lost a big case against Maglite not for a carbon copy of the minimag but for stamping the name on the bezel ring of C and D sized Excalibure lights. Tony had patented the name stamp on the bezel ring and when Streamlight infringed Tony nearly wiped out Streamlight who was famous with NASA for making 1-5 million candle power lights in New Jersey in the 1970's.

It's a small world in the flashlight biz. In the late 1960's Streamlite was contracted to mimic sunshine for the space program. They did a 5 million candlepower hand held (with shoulder carry near automobile sized battery) for NASA. Wealthy boaters and hunters loved the 1 million candlepower version. In 1973 the light was $99 and the battery $499. Good luck finding a bulb for that dude these days. Anyway Streamlight later joined the ranks of those trying to out Maglite Maglite. Tony was very protective of his patents. So when (now called) Streamlight bought Kel-Lite from Tonys buddy Don Kellers arch nemeisis and later infringed on Tonys bezel ring stamp patent he pounched. He won and Streamlight was bankrupt.

Well, Streamlight being in good graces with the US government built a light not that far off from John Matthews 6 volt number called "the SureFire". It was called Scorpion. John was familiar with folks in the US govsrnment as well and was trying to sell lights to the military under the name SureFire. So was Streamlight. Streamlight had won a small contract with metropolitan police departments on the east coast. SureFire had begun to gain traction with law enforcement on the west coast under the name Laser Products with its SureFire model. (Sidebar: procurement agents were reluctant to enquire about that 'laser products surefire 6' and kept asking "got any sure fires in stock?" so hence the name change.) So when SureFire was selling lights at a brisk pace to police departments John Matthews struck up a deal with Streamlight to supply some bulbs at a deep discount in order to avoid being hassled about that dang near clone called the Scorpion. Still hurting from the Maglite lawsuit they agreed and the rest is history. Eventually both went on to sell millions of flashlights to the US government along with state and local agencies.
So next time you use your old SureFire 6 remember it may have been one of the lights that helped Streamlight stay in business.

Interesting story!!
I though all Surefire bulbs were made by Carley.
Didn't know that Streamlight is the first using 6V Xenon bulb.
So the Scorpion was released earlier than Surefire 6?
It makes Osram the game changer of flashlight industry >> from Krypton PR bulb to high output Xenon bi pin bulb:laughing:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I said Osram incorrectly. You are right it was Carley.

The SureFire 6 came before the Scorpion. There was a time though when SureFire needed some bulbs and got them from Streamlight. I do not know if it were a few dozen, a few hundred or what. There weren't all that many SureFire 6 made back then afterall. Just that Streamlight supplied the bulbs for a batch of P60's to go into them.