LiteFlux LF5XT - the ultimate AA light? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You make it sound like this is a blanket problem affecting all LF5XTs. Just out of curiosity: do you own the light and experience these issues, or are you basing the comment on the couple of posts in https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/198193.

I don't own one but I really want one. :p I was off line for 2 weeks when they started to hit peoples hands. I'm out of the loop and its hard to catch up, but I tried to read all that I could find and I was under the impression they all flickered and whined.

I don't mind the inductor whine, I have poor hearing at those frequencies.

Note:
I really liked my LF2 until it started to develop un-fixable contact issues. Customer service was excellent, but I got my $ back as I just couldn't trust the design to be my EDC. My keychain light is usually the only* light I carry.

*Not including the several lights I have scattered around my home, car and office. :p

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I don't own one but I really want one. :p I was off line for 2 weeks when they started to hit peoples hands. I'm out of the loop and its hard to catch up, but I tried to read all that I could find and I was under the impression they all flickered and whined.

I don't mind the inductor whine, I have poor hearing at those frequencies.

Note:
I really liked my LF2 until it started to develop un-fixable contact issues. Customer service was excellent, but I got my $ back as I just couldn't trust the design to be my EDC. My keychain light is usually the only* light I carry.

*Not including the several lights I have scattered around my home, car and office. :p

My advice then - just get one! IMHO the LF5XT is as good as it currently gets for AA lights (D10 included).

mighty82

Enlightened
So, the low voltage protection does NOT work on my LF5XT. I just destroyed one unprotected 14500 battey. The light started to ramp down in brightness, and I could see a the warning blinking, but then the battery was already down below 1 volt, I guess the light thought it was a NiMh battery. Resting voltage afterwards is 2 volts. Do NOT use unprotected batteries in your LF5XT!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
So, the low voltage protection does NOT work on my LF5XT. I just destroyed one unprotected 14500 battey. The light started to ramp down in brightness, and I could see a the warning blinking, but then the battery was already down below 1 volt, I guess the light thought it was a NiMh battery. Resting voltage afterwards is 2 volts. Do NOT use unprotected batteries in your LF5XT!

Sorry to hear that, 14500s aren't the cheapest cells either. I've not yet tried it with a 14500 but the low voltage cutoff works perfectly with NiMH.

clintb

Enlightened
Are you sure over discharge protection was enabled? IIRC, it's off by default.

mighty82

Enlightened
Are you sure over discharge protection was enabled? IIRC, it's off by default.
Yes, I double checked it before running a test. Checked it afterwards too, it's on. But it kicked in WAY too late. When I used a protected battery, I could see the low voltage warning right before the protection in the battery kicked in. But with the unprotected battery, nothing happened until it was down to the nimh shutdown voltage at 0,8V. The battery is then destroyed. :( Very disappointing.

Nanotech17 experienced the same thing: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2542265&postcount=14

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I double checked it before running a test. Checked it afterwards too, it's on. But it kicked in WAY too late. When I used a protected battery, I could see the low voltage warning right before the protection in the battery kicked in. But with the unprotected battery, nothing happened until it was down to the nimh shutdown voltage at 0,8V. The battery is then destroyed. :( Very disappointing.

Nanotech17 experienced the same thing: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2542265&postcount=14

Yes,That is correct.
I tried the second time and i already ruined the unprotected 14500.
But with protected 14500 it is alright.
Unless there is something wrong with my unprotected 14500 cell chemistry.
Time to order more AW protected 14500 :)

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm not disappointed with mine
I love it - i set it as a 2 modes light,memory mode ON - hi - low.
And i still can get the strobe by 2xC & H on hi & low modes.
I still can get the Super Turbo mode while on low mode by fully click it & hold.
And I can still get the momentary Super Turbo mode while on OFF mode by fully click it & hold.
:wow: I'm :sold:

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noted that Deal Extreme is now carrying this light in black.
They are charging only $68.50 including shipping.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14213

However, I still might want to get my light from Khoo. He will try to give you the light you want as far as tint is concerned. This extra service and the assurance he has personally checked out your light might make his higher price worth it.

h.g.trunnion

Newly Enlightened
Today (its July 7th in Germany) I received my beautyful natural HA-III from Khoo, who had sent me shipping notice on July 1st.

Thats pretty fast for all the airmail way from Malaysia to Germany incl. resting time at customs and so on.

Khoo added two gifts for all of us, who had to wait a little bit longer due to the Cree R2 shortage of LiteFlux: an Energizer Lithium primary L91 and a thick rubber ring, whose purpose actually isn't clear to me...
Anybody here with a good guess? Anything 'tactical'? :rolleyes:

Anyway: that again shows Khoo's care for his customer relationships, although the delay definitely wasn't his fault. Cheers to Khoo!

I already called my LF5XT a beauty: it is, in any sense. The finish is excellent; the beam is - I really don't find the right expression for this: GORGEOUS! No Cree rings, a fully filled circle of pure white with no blueish tendency whatsoever. I had never thought of any Cree lamp being able to produce such an overwhelming good spill.

The switch is a pleasure to use, compared to that oldish legacy rubber forward or reverse clickies, some of the elder members here might remember. :thinking:

The UI is no miracle at all - I had it all in less than 10 minutes and can only state: it works perfectly.

Last not least the very best: I also read some disturbing mails about flickering and whining sounds. As I'm quite sensitive to both 'bad behaviours', let me give you an 'all clear signal': there is no flickering at least on the lithium primary Energizer, nor on 1.5V Alcalines, nor on 1.2V Eneloops! Haven't tried the AW 14500 yet.
For the 'whining sound': on the factory default 50% Mode, I had to place the light into direct contact to my ear bones, to register a very, very silent tone of maybe 5 to 8 kHz. One inch away from my ear: no sound to be heard. PH (press hold) to maximum output: no sound wether in direct contact nor in any distance.
So for me there is really NO problem with any of the forementioned issues.

As a summary I can simply state: I finally have found the ultimate AA light.
Full stop.

Enjoy,

Norbert

mighty82

Enlightened
Last not least the very best: I also read some disturbing mails about flickering and whining sounds. As I'm quite sensitive to both 'bad behaviours', let me give you an 'all clear signal': there is no flickering at least on the lithium primary Energizer, nor on 1.5V Alcalines, nor on 1.2V Eneloops! Haven't tried the AW 14500 yet.
For the 'whining sound': on the factory default 50% Mode, I had to place the light into direct contact to my ear bones, to register a very, very silent tone of maybe 5 to 8 kHz. One inch away from my ear: no sound to be heard. PH (press hold) to maximum output: no sound wether in direct contact nor in any distance.
So for me there is really NO problem with any of the forementioned issues.
You can't say that none of the lights have this problem just becuase your light doesn't. Many of us have already experienced noises and flickering. The majority of these problems happens with 14500's though. I have only seen flickering one time on the lower modes on mine, but on 100% it flickers every time, and it makes a screaming noise that can be heard across the room. I still love the light, and everything else is perfect. I LOVE the beam and tint.

mchlwise

Enlightened
You can't say that none of the lights have this problem just becuase your light doesn't.

Neither can you say that all of the lights have this problem just because yours does.

Mine has no whine or flicker at all on any battery, and I run it primarily on 14500 cells.

This light is amazing! :grin2:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Khoo added two gifts for all of us, who had to wait a little bit longer due to the Cree R2 shortage of LiteFlux: an Energizer Lithium primary L91 and a thick rubber ring, whose purpose actually isn't clear to me...
Anybody here with a good guess? Anything 'tactical'? :rolleyes:

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but i'm guessing it's to facilitate the cigar grip style.

For the 'whining sound': on the factory default 50% Mode, I had to place the light into direct contact to my ear bones, to register a very, very silent tone of maybe 5 to 8 kHz.

Ouch! That must've hurt! :duh2:
Did you use an endoscope or have you just shoved it down your ear canal? :nana: ;)

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tho not necessary but it's a habit of mine now on all of my flashlights.
I replace the stock lens with UCL,tho a bit thicker but not compromising the water resistant in the bezel,now it's really nice with increase blinding bright :)

Pyros

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today (shipped July 1, arrived in SoCal July 7).

Absolutely terrific light. The beam quality is about as good as it gets, and I'm quite pleased with the (very white) tint of my particular emitter. The fit and finish are excellent -- some subtle machining marks are visible when light reflects off the flat surfaces, but the anodizing is terrific, and you really have to look for the machining marks. Overall a very attractive light.

What would I change? Well... First, the UI almost cannot be improved upon (really -- I mean it), but I would like it if I could move backwards as well as forwards through the settings. I've got mine set up so it goes dim to bright, and I wish I could not only double-click to go to the next brighter setting, but also triple-click to go to the next dimmer setting. Second, like many others, I do prefer an extremely low low. I've had an Arc4+ on the bedside table for a few years now, which I use to find my way around the house at night, and its lowest setting is much lower than this. Third, it would be nice to be able to attach a pocket clip.

All that said, this light is a revelation. I prefer single AA and AAA lights (and hotwires, but that's for another sub-forum), but I've been pretty dissatisfied with the options before now. This just about ends my search for the perfect AA light. Now if I only could find the perfect AAA light!

--Pyros

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Got mine today (shipped July 1, arrived in SoCal July 7).

Absolutely terrific light. The beam quality is about as good as it gets, and I'm quite pleased with the (very white) tint of my particular emitter. The fit and finish are excellent -- some subtle machining marks are visible when light reflects off the flat surfaces, but the anodizing is terrific, and you really have to look for the machining marks. Overall a very attractive light.

What would I change? Well... First, the UI almost cannot be improved upon (really -- I mean it), but I would like it if I could move backwards as well as forwards through the settings. I've got mine set up so it goes dim to bright, and I wish I could not only double-click to go to the next brighter setting, but also triple-click to go to the next dimmer setting. Second, like many others, I do prefer an extremely low low. I've had an Arc4+ on the bedside table for a few years now, which I use to find my way around the house at night, and its lowest setting is much lower than this. Third, it would be nice to be able to attach a pocket clip.

All that said, this light is a revelation. I prefer single AA and AAA lights (and hotwires, but that's for another sub-forum), but I've been pretty dissatisfied with the options before now. This just about ends my search for the perfect AA light. Now if I only could find the perfect AAA light!

--Pyros

Great summary pyros, I agree on every point. I especially like the idea of a triple press to go back to the previous brightness setting.

I can't believe that LiteFlux aren't hard at work on an LF5XT-2 with a lower low and a few miscellaneous UI improvements. There's not much else that can be done really.

LED Cool

Enlightened
nanotech17 & mighty82,

i tested a few protected 14500s in 3 LF5XTs with over discharge activated, and they all works fine.

how old is your unprotected 14500?

khoo

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
nanotech17 & mighty82,

i tested a few protected 14500s in 3 LF5XTs with over discharge activated, and they all works fine.

how old is your unprotected 14500?

khoo

mine is almost 2 years.
i think my unprotected 14500 cell chemistry is useless already.
I tested with LifePo4 cell freshly charge at 3.7v and my LF5XT shut down at 1.85v.
So this function in my LF5XT is working fine.
:thanks:

LED Cool

Enlightened
initially there was intention to have the ability to go forward as well as backward through all 5 modes of output. but was later decided to scrap the backward command in order to reduce the number of commands to learn/remember. besides, triple click backwards is only useful when the LF5XT is in 4 mode or 5 mode output light. going backwards is redundant if it is a 2 mode light.

and if it is a 3 mode light, the ability to go backwards is only marginally useful.

eg. user in mode 2 and need to go back to mode 1. user can triple click to go back to mode 1, or user can double click light to mode 3 and double click to mode 1. i.e. 4 clicks.

eg. user in mode 3 and need to go back to mode 2. user can triple click to go back to mode 2, or user can double click to mode 1 and double click to mode 2. i.e. 4 clicks.

the same 4 clicks goes for mode 1 going to mode 3.

therefore in a 3 mode LF5XT, the ability to go backwards only save the user 1 click.

of course, i would agree that in a 5 mode LF5XT, the ability to go backwards is a gem!

another question, how do you find the timing period of the press and hold (PH) 100% output and of the click + PH 100% random strobe? it is now set at 1 second. Do you think it should be reduce to a shorter time period?

thanks.
khoo

Status
Not open for further replies.