LiteFlux LF5XT - the ultimate AA light? (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mighty82

Enlightened
mine is almost 2 years.
i think my unprotected 14500 cell chemistry is useless already.
I tested with LifePo4 cell freshly charge at 3.7v and my LF5XT shut down at 1.85v.
So this function in my LF5XT is working fine.
:thanks:
Mine was 2 weeks old. Charged 3 times. The chemistry should have nothing to do with it. If the cell reaches 2.8V it should shut down, no matter what. But the light just skipped that and let it go all the way down to 0.8V.

If your LF5XT shut down at 1.85V, what's fine about that?? It's suppose to be 2.8v.

another question, how do you find the timing period of the press and hold (PH) 100% output and of the click + PH 100% random strobe? it is now set at 1 second. Do you think it should be reduce to a shorter time period?

thanks.
khoo
Yes!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was 2 weeks old. Charged 3 times. The chemistry should have nothing to do with it. If the cell reaches 2.8V it should shut down, no matter what. But the light just skipped that and let it go all the way down to 0.8V.

If your LF5XT shut down at 1.85V, what's fine about that?? It's suppose to be 2.8v.

Yes!

i tested 2 types of cell.
one is li-ion 14500 - safe to discharge until 2.7v ( YMMV )
one is lifeP04 14500 - safe to discharge until 2.2v ( YMMV )
and just tested with Sanyo nimh 2700mah - it shut down at 0.8v ( YMMV )
Like they always said - only use AW li-ion cell - FWIW

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
how do you find the timing period of the press and hold (PH) 100% output and of the click + PH 100% random strobe? it is now set at 1 second. Do you think it should be reduce to a shorter time period?

thanks.
khoo

Cut it in half, or almost in half as far as I am concerned.. Not that it will help the ones I have but oh well...

mighty82

Enlightened
I just got a mail from khoo where he offered me an exchange for a new LF5XT head from a later batch, where liteflux had fixed the flickering issues and the "momentary on and memory off" issue. I guess that's why you guys that got your ligths from the second batch don't have any of the problems I have. Maybe the battery protection will work better too :)

I'm just worried about getting one with a "less perfect" tint, because the one I have now has a PERFECT warm tint and beam.

Last edited:

h.g.trunnion

Newly Enlightened
@mighty82:
Maybe my English is too bad, but I wanted to say, that my very light didn't show any of the reported problems.

@orcinus:
Ouch! That must've hurt! :duh2:
Did you use an endoscope or have you just shoved it down your ear canal? :nana: ;)
Boy I can tell you! Some parts of the LF5XT still have not shown up again from the depth of my ear canal. :poke:

Of course I meant cartilage. ;)

---------------------------------------

Regarding the overdischarge function: my lamp shut down after some fast flashes. Measuring my AW protected 14500 it showed 2,78 V. Congratulation, LiteFlux, function very well programmed!

Right now, I'm writing a manual for the LF5XT in German and found out about some missing programming steps in the original little manual in chinese and english, they put to the box. (to be honest, I didn't read the chinese version). Namely, that when in SFM (special function menu) in any of the functions you of course have to enter 3C+PH first to read the actual setting, before you might toggle with 1xC.
And I think, you will never be able to leave the SFM with 3C+PH, but simply have to leave this level of programming by 3xC. :cool:

Does anybody here have a description of the various beacon and strobe frequencies and settings? Or can give me a link?

@LEDcool:
Yes, I also would prefer a faster reaction time for the momentary functions.

But I'd rather prefer LiteFlux to work on an AAA lamp with the same UI. :whistle:

Regards from Germany,

Norbert

mchlwise

Enlightened
The more I have my LF5XT, the more I love it.

I just got the Nitecore D10, and for me there's no comparison. The LF5XT is by far the best AA based light out there at this point.

mighty82

Enlightened
Regarding the overdischarge function: my lamp shut down after some fast flashes. Measuring my AW protected 14500 it showed 2,78 V. Congratulation, LiteFlux, function very well programmed!
Yeah... :green: When it's working that is... Obviously it can't be trusted with unprotected batteries when it have failed for others already.. It worked with mine too, with aw protected and ultrafire protected, but not with my unprotected ultrafires.

LED Cool

Enlightened
@LEDcool:
Yes, I also would prefer a faster reaction time for the momentary functions.

Norbert

there is no time lag when using momentary function.

or may be you were responding to this question below ?

"another question, how do you find the timing period of the press and hold (PH) 100% output and of the click + PH 100% random strobe? it is now set at 1 second. Do you think it should be reduce to a shorter time period?"

khoo

gunga

Flashaholic
I just got a mail from khoo where he offered me an exchange for a new LF5XT head from a later batch, where liteflux had fixed the flickering issues and the "momentary on and memory off" issue. I guess that's why you guys that got your ligths from the second batch don't have any of the problems I have. Maybe the battery protection will work better too :)

I'm just worried about getting one with a "less perfect" tint, because the one I have now has a PERFECT warm tint and beam.

Sorry, they fixed the flickering and memory/momentary issues? Well, that's kind of annoying to find out right after getting an earlier gen light...

:shakehead

h.g.trunnion

Newly Enlightened
Hi Khoo,

or may be you were responding to this question below ?

"another question, how do you find the timing period of the press and hold (PH) 100% output and of the click + PH 100% random strobe? it is now set at 1 second. Do you think it should be reduce to a shorter time period?"

yes, that was what I was trying to respond to. :cool:

On the other hand side, for the programming issues a PH with clearly noticable difference to any C is probably needed for the MCU?

(will anybody outside this thread understand that sentence? :laughing: and what about the insiders?)

Norbert

h.g.trunnion

Newly Enlightened
To whom it may concern:

some 15 minutes ago I loaded my 'Handbuch LiteFlux LF5 XT' in German on THE forum over there.
(my guess is, I'm not allowed to link here to any other websites outside the CPF, right?):sssh:

Should anybody over here be interested, then he or she may contact me by PM.

Regards,

Norbert

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I have my LF5XT, the more I love it.
that's awesome, that exactly how I feel about my NiteCore D10!!

I just got the Nitecore D10, and for me there's no comparison. The LF5XT is by far the best AA based light out there at this point.
I can't wait to get my LF5XT to compare!! The much higher price of the LF5XT though, may mean I'll have to be satisfied with just one for now for a while, while I have multiple D10s.

I'm soooo looking forward to my LF5XT. :popcorn::popcorn:

mchlwise

Enlightened
that's awesome, that exactly how I feel about my NiteCore D10!!

I'm liking the D10 a little better than I did at first, now that I've spent some time with it. One thing that I noticed that makes it MUCH easier to use for me is putting a "standard" battery in it. My 14500 is protected and is a good 2mm longer than a "regular" battery - this makes pressing more difficult and the light harder to operate. Putting a L91 cell in it makes operating the D10 easier.

Of course... the LF5XT doesn't have this problem, and the switch is consistent every time, regardless what I feed it, and it's much easier to use (especially in a cigar grip)... so the LiteFlux is still my favorite. :thumbsup:

Doug

Enlightened
Ok, I can not seem to figure out how to change the modes, I can take it in and out of momentary, go to max, and strobe, and even switch between strobes, but not able to go to the other brightness modes.... I looked at the manual, and I guess I am not getting it (of course this sinus headache does not help, and the heat!) ... ahem.... so, anyone care to re-word the manual for me, as far as changing brightness modes?

Doug

Edit: Ok.... turn light on, double click for next mode... now to figure out have to make the lowest mode 1%, and the highest 100%.... Suggestions?

Edit: Say after me "youtube is good, Youtube is good"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tAj_mAOmOo&feature=related

Last edited:

Doug

Enlightened
Is it possible to change the strobe (or beacon) to 1 flash, at lowest brightness, instead of two, at what appears to be 50%? So it's like the locator strobe/beacon on the HDS/Novatac's.... also, how long would the battery last in that mode? Thanks.

Doug

Norm

Retired Administrator
Is it possible to change the strobe (or beacon) to 1 flash, at lowest brightness, instead of two, at what appears to be 50%? So it's like the locator strobe/beacon on the HDS/Novatac's.... also, how long would the battery last in that mode? Thanks.

Doug
Yes, 3 X C & PH, now PH and each time you PH the function will change, there is a single flash function, now 2 X C (this will step down the brightness) keep 2 X C until you get to the lowest setting 3 X C & PH now you have set one memory to low beacon mode.
I find it much easier if I think about this light as having 5 independent memories, you are able to set any mode and any brightness to 1 of the memories.
How long would it last?
I have no idea.
Norm

EDIT just been watching the LED in this mode, it never fully switches off the LED is still glowing between flashes, also noticed that when you turn the light off it doesn't shut right off right away but has a slowly dimming very faint glow before it totally goes off.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
i just found out that from OFF position you can access to multi strobe by performing 2xC & H quickly.
That's :cool:
1 C turns on and then you go into the 1 C PH and that is the documented strobe mode, it's in the book.
Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.