M3, M6, or?

SunStar

Enlightened
I'm glad I asked! The majority have spoken "M6," so I will go to a nearby SF store in the next couple days and check one out and see how it fits in my hand.

A couple of you also posted that the 9P or a 6P with extender would really be as bright to the eye as a M3. mdocod said that a P91 would have a nice floody beam indoors. Can I assume that the throw of a 9P would not be as good as a M3? How far could a 9P throw?

From your comments, it looks like M6 > 9P or 6P w/extender > M3.

The 9P has slightly more flood; the M3 has slightly more throw. As stated, the P91 is very impressive - great flood, punchy and decent throw. Both are great lights - its just that the performance of the 9P will be almost that of the M3 in a much smaller package.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems the M6 would be a very nice fit.

With the 3 bulb options, it's a light to be reckoned with.

Enjoy and please keep us posted.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm glad I asked! The majority have spoken "M6," so I will go to a nearby SF store in the next couple days and check one out and see how it fits in my hand.

Excellent idea.

I wish I could comfortably hold an M6. But the M4 I'll be buying soon is no sloutch either.

zx7dave

Enlightened
M4 is the way to go. You can use a Lumens Factory 550 Lumens bulb for a 33 min runtime on primaries. Had a M6 and sold it...too big of a diameter for my taste.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened
I agree. The M4 has a lot of options when you consider using 17670 rechargeables. You have the LumensFactory lamps, the 2 SF 12 volt lamps and many of the 9 volt lamps will work well with rechargeables. I have a "special" M4 using Leef 2x18650 battery tube driving a WA1111 bulb which is pretty remarkable as a bump in the night light.:naughty:

BSBG

Enlightened
Another vote for the M6 if it is between that and an M3 - the three SF bulbs, plus the Lumensfactory options make it quite versatile with a range of outputs. The M4, running 17670s and an MN15 / MN16 or MN20 is an option if you want a smaller body, although the stock MN60 is a nice lamp assembly too.

My M3 does not get much use, but my M4 and M6 do. :whistle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Negative... not required...

The M2 shock isolated bezel is a direct fit to the 6P, 9P, C2, C3, etc. (1.47 in. diameter v. 1.62 in. diameter).

Oh sorry, I thought you were originally refering to an M3 head onto a 9P body.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're talking about the M6...I have a quick question.

When did Surefire change the name from "MagnumLight" to "Guardian"? Only one of mine says "MagnumLight". The other one simply says "Millennium Series M6". Any idea as to why the name changes?

tsl

Enlightened
Given the number of responses for the M4, it looks like I'll have to try that light out too in the hand when I go to the gun store. However, I did read here that the light was bezel heavy and not as well-balanced as either the M6 or M3. Any comments?

Brozneo

Enlightened

A couple of you also posted that the 9P or a 6P with extender would really be as bright to the eye as a M3. mdocod said that a P91 would have a nice floody beam indoors. Can I assume that the throw of a 9P would not be as good as a M3? How far could a 9P throw?

From your comments, it looks like M6 > 9P or 6P w/extender > M3.

Sweet! Good choice! You won't be disappointed if you get the M6 (unless you have teeny tiny hands! :crackup:)

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the number of responses for the M4, it looks like I'll have to try that light out too in the hand when I go to the gun store. However, I did read here that the light was bezel heavy and not as well-balanced as either the M6 or M3. Any comments?

Most folks dislike the "Donkey's ****" form factor of the M4. If you end up not liking the light, you might have trouble getting rid of it.

The M6 has much better aesthetics. It is a waaaaaay nicer light, more appealing too.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me be a wise guy and recommend a $20 rechargeable Vector (or similar brand) spotlight from Wal-mart or Target. You won't believe the output. Give it a try, and you may forget about the spendy ones. I keep one in the Powernoodle sleeping chamber, one in the car, one in the kitchen cabinet, . . .

SunStar

Enlightened
Most folks dislike the "Donkey's ****" form factor of the M4. If you end up not liking the light, you might have trouble getting rid of it.

The M6 has much better aesthetics. It is a waaaaaay nicer light, more appealing too.

Based on the above reference, I'm almost scared to admit it... but I prefer the M4 form factor over the M6. It just fits my hands better. Also, the M4 weighs in around 12 oz. while the M6 exceeds 16 oz. and there is only about an inch difference between the two in length.

I agree that aesthetically, the M6 wins and its tough to beat the lamp options on primaries ranging from the MN15, MN20 and MN21. There is also a rechargeable option now thanks to LF and AW. However, the M4 is easily and cheaply made rechargeable with "drop-ins" and can run the MN15, MN16 and MN20 in addition to the MN60 and MN61. Plus the M4 is cheaper. Regardless of which one is selected (you can't really lose), the M4 still has its place.

Brozneo

Enlightened

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I've never liked the form factor of the M4 but I've never quite put it like that! :lolsign:

tsl

Enlightened

OK, just got back from the gun shop that stocks a full complement of SFs (except for the Beast). I found the barrel of the M6 to be too big :( and I don't have small hands (nor large ones). Perhaps I'm just used to the small size of the A2, so the M6 is too big of a leap for me.

I really didn't care for the M4. Nice beam, but I didn't like the balance or grip in my hand.

I still liked the M3. One thing that I hadn't thought of before was how I'd properly orient the light before turning it on so that the oval beam was either vertical or horizontal. With my A2, it's easy. I rotated the lamp until the beam lined up with the clip. So, I always know that if the clip is down, the beam will be vertical. With the M3, I couldn't see any way to know since the body is round. So, I could grab the light, turn it on, and the beam would be oriented in a strange direction. Not the end of the world, but something I wanted to consider.

I went back to the C3. With anything other than a cigar grip, it actually works well. The P90 wasn't oval, so I really didn't need to worry about orienting the bulb, and if I did, I could always use the square sides and clip for orientation.

9P was also nice, but I prefer HA and would spend the extra $ to get it.

So, I'm now leaning towards the C3 with P91. I know that the run time stinks compared to the M6 w/MN15, but I just found the M6 barrel too big. If it'd been the same size as a Mag 2D, it'd be a different story. The Mag 2D barrel is really as large as I comfortably want to grip.

Any feedback? Am I off base here? Any other recommendations?

SunStar

Enlightened
Not off base... just personal preference... nothing wrong with that.

The C3 is about as tough as a light comes. Again, you can add a shock isolated bezel if needed and length wise, its shorter than the M3. There are also other lamp options with rounder beams if you don't like the SF oval - although it can be useful in practice. I'd also suggest considering a C3 with a KT1 / KT2 turbohead bezel. That way you could run the MN15 for an hour on primaries or close to an hour on (2) 17500 Li ion cells. You would also have the option of the MN16 for 20 minutes on primaries and for those special occasions, add an extender and you have full use of the M4 lamp options. Aside, the C3/KT2 w. an SW02 switch is about the coolest looking light around to my distinguishing eye.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
My M4 has been bored for 2x 18650s. For extended runtime I use the 2x 18650s, but I prefer a the Leef 1x 18650 tube. The head has been modified w/ LEDs (6 SSC and one Lux), so it runs regulated w/ one or two cells. With the 1x 18650 tube I prefer a SW02 tailcap. With the stock length tube, I prefer the big style of the SW01 tailcap, as it provides more aesthetic "balance".

With regards to the M3... I could have swore that my barrel wasn't totally round. I can't seem to find it now, but... oh well... just a thought.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Any feedback? Am I off base here? Any other recommendations?

Had the same issue with the M6. D-cell Mags are the thickest I can hold comfortably. I can hold an M6 securely in my fist, but that changes when I move my thumb to hit the tailcap switch. M4 or 10x Dominator are the brightest Surefires I can hold comfortably. I prefer the M4 a bit more than the 10x. With the M4, I can use primaries or rechargeable 17670 cells. 10x is recharegeable only and costs more than an M6.

You're not off base at all. Surefires are not cheap. Buy the models that work best for you and your needs. If it happens to be the C3 model, so be it.