M3, M6, or?

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
The discharge rate on the smaller and lower capacity cells with lamps such as the EO-9 or P91 is too great, and will ruin the cells quickly. Two 18500´s is better and two 18650´s is best.

BSBG

Enlightened
No offense, but why bore out a 3-cell Surefire when 2x17500 cells will already fit? I doubt the difference in output is going to be significant enough to warrant boring out the barrel of a Surefire.

The output will be the same, but the capacity is more - 1100 mah vs. 1500 mah. That translates to one third longer run time, give or take.

I probably wouldn't bother either, but that may be reason enough...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You both make good points.

I guess for some, boring out the barrel would be worth it.

tsl

Enlightened
No offense, but why bore out a 3-cell Surefire when 2x17500 cells will already fit? I doubt the difference in output is going to be significant enough to warrant boring out the barrel of a Surefire.

Mdocod's compatibility chart says that the minimum safe rechargeable for the P91 is the 18500. That cell won't fit in a SF, so my thought was that I would have to bore the body out if I wanted to use it.

The LF EO-9 will take 17500s. No boring. And the difference in output may not be that significant to the eye. Not sure about the beam characteristics though as I've heard of the P91 referred to as a wall of light and the EO-9 as being more concentrated and geared more for throw. I'll have to look at the beamshots posted here again. Any comments by those who have both bulbs would also be appreciated.

But you bring up a great point. I appreciate the feedback.

tsl

Enlightened
Well, I've narrowed it down to either a C3 or a M3. Taking into account the two included bulbs in the M3 versus having to buy a P91 for the C3, it's about a $60 price difference between the two.

So the M3 is more expensive, has a slightly better and whiter beam than the C3 (acording to my search and what Size15 has posted), and has the shock-isolated bezel. The C3 is more pocketable.

My understanding is that both will be comparable in throw outside. Perhaps a slight nod to the M3 because of the deeper and wider reflector, but is it a noticeable difference?

I am wondering how the two compare inside. It seems to me that floodiness would be more advantageous inside, and there I think the nod goes to the P91, but I haven't been able to find any indoor beamshots of the MN11 compared to the P91. Is the P91 in a C3 the better indoor light?

I'm not going to be using this light with a firearm. I do want to use it as a bump in the night light where I want more illumination than what I get from my A2. Indoors, I do want to be able to light up a good chunk of a room. Outdoors, I would like to be able to illuminate something 50-60 yards away. Where should I lean between the two lights?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Is the pocket clip on the C3 an important aspect for you? If so, I'd say go with the C3. If not, then overall; the M3 is a better choice.

tsl

Enlightened
Pocket clip isn't that important.

Can the MN11 light up a room like the P91 in this thread (7th pic from the bottom in the first post)? That's a lot of spill coming from the P91.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173535

(Added)
Granted, the P91 is being run off of 2x18650, so that's an intense amount of light, and I wouldn't expect a MN11 on 3 primiaries to do the same.

But what I'm really looking to know is how well the M3 will light up a room compared to the C3.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
But what I'm really looking to know is how well the M3 will light up a room compared to the C3.
I'd take an M3 over a C3 to 'light up a room' without hesitation.
I much prefer the brighter whiter (for longer) lamps of the M3 compared to the C3.