Maglite came out with a new tactical light

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Maglite came out with a new light, any thoughts?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh boy I don't know. Looks like they went for runtime over output. It's a tac light. I'm thinking you want horsepower over 4 hours runtime.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quite like the look. Bit pricey. No U.K. sales at all.

Shame no 18650 support and better emitter tints. Modes also seem a little odd. I know they are aiming at "tactical". But surely that must be quite a limited captive market. If it was a bit more user friendly (or at least a variant of it) with proper multiple modes. I'm sure it's likely be a better seller with broader appeal.

That said. I'm sure like most Mags that they will have a charm all of their own. That somehow makes them more endearing than their specs might suggest.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I find it to be interesting. I cant say its really blown up my skirt like most surefires have, but I can understand this is another edition to the mag tac line. I imagine much like their originals, they will put out a rechargeable version and it prolly wont use an 18650.

BVH

Flashaholic
It was quite some time ago here on CPF but didn't a number of members end up with exploding lights due to using 2 CR123's In-Series at different Voltages (not checking the Voltage of each cell before installing). I think the low cell objected to being reverse charged by the high cell. I'm surprised a conservative Co like Mag would use this arrangement.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
It was quite some time ago here on CPF but didn't a number of members end up with exploding lights due to using 2 CR123's In-Series at different Voltages (not checking the Voltage of each cell before installing). I think the low cell objected to being reverse charged by the high cell. I'm surprised a conservative Co like Mag would use this arrangement.
That is a bizarre reaction, I cant say that has ever happened with any light I have owned. However I haven't had a mag tac product other than the rechargeable version.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
No.

Reactions: hsa

bykfixer

Flashaholic
74A2F13C-EEFF-4C19-8BA9-FAC37803E753.jpeg

Bought it a few days after it was announced in July.
I bought the smooth one for the momentary/hi/lo. Kinda pricey, yeah.
Very throwey like the XL50 with no hint of blue in the beam. I'd say 5200 kelvin if I had to guess with just a hint of neutral in the white beam.

I was glad they picked run time over output. Makes a great backup to the ML150. XL filters fit it including the antiroll device/ filter holder. Came with an XL50/ MagTac type plastic clip.

2D1E8AC2-2158-40E8-B21C-697E5436AD35.jpeg

High

915A2D7F-C2A2-4A5C-9897-058D38471FFA.jpeg

Low

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must be 1000's of lights and other devices that use CR123a's in Series. Most Surefires would likely have been this setup surely....

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
View attachment 33176
Bought it a few days after it was announced in July.
I bought the smooth one for the momentary/hi/lo. Kinda pricey, yeah.
Very throwey like the XL50 with no hint of blue in the beam. I'd say 5200 kelvin if I had to guess with just a hint of neutral in the white beam.

I was glad they picked run time over output. Makes a great backup to the ML150. XL filters fit it including the antiroll device/ filter holder. Came with an XL50/ MagTac type plastic clip.

View attachment 33179
High

View attachment 33180
Low
Seal of approval?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yeah I'd say so rw.
It reminds me of an old Pentagon number called eX2 when held with an XL50 beam type of beam. Smooth without being slippery. Bright beam without the self blind from too many lumens scattered about.

Some may think it's too much of the same old same old. I wasn't looking for a new mouse trap here so I'm just glad to see they chose run time over lumens for a change.

Chadder

Enlightened
Like Mr. Fixer I also bought this light when it first came out. I really like the light! It has really good throw. I used it in August when I did security at a remote church camp. In the very dark fields this light had great reach. I was hoping it would run on a 16650 but it was a no go. I have been through several sets of primaries, and it really does have great run time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes.
First click yeilds about 1/4-1/2 second momentary if you let it go or stays on while you hold it and off when released. Two clicks yields constant high mode. Three clicks yields the low that has a nice throw without all of those spill lumens.

sambob223

Newly Enlightened
I have to give this a pass, the price for one a flashlight like this sould be closer to $30 and 123 batteries with no 18650 support...really?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it like the rest of maglites that drop output in half, after 10 min or so?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it like the rest of maglites that drop output in half, after 10 min or so?
The others don't drop out, they are regulated to lower output and lengthen runtimes if left on for a single duration. Depending on model this is either a gradual reduction or a defined step down. Cycling the light off/on will reset the regulation and restore full power.

But no idea if the MagTac 2 does this or not. Will need someone to test it. But I'd guess yes it probably does.