Maglite to introduce LED's in near future

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: Maglite to introduce LED\'s in near future

Interesting. Although I do believe one of our members here also received a similar e-mail from Mag CS about a year or two ago...?

Darkaway

Enlightened

Just a fantasy, but I hope they get slapped with a ton of lawsuits by existing LED light makers when their new products come out. That would be poetic justice.

My bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
"Best Flashlight" is a Patented trademark identity of Mag instrument.

No other flashlight (in America) can legally call itself the "Best Flashlight" unless they risk copyright infringment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it figures. Typical Mag tactics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

pangris

Newly Enlightened

Wow, I had no idea that mag was such a bunch of *******s. I only have on 6D mag that I think of as a club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Everything else is Surefire or various LED.

I'd expect maglight to come out with an LED that is as expensive as focus groups show the public will buy....

Paul

Mark2

Enlightened

My bet is that Mag will introduce a whole line of LED products, and that they WILL be using at least 1W Luxeons, probably 3W, too. As for quality and price range, I expect them to stay where they are, maybe go a bit above it. There is no way the Mag LEDs are going to challenge Surefire/ARC LED lights, that's not their market and price range. That talk about introducing the best LED light is pure marketing brabble.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wonder if they have been sneaking around here and have modded m@gs with the Hotlips heatsink.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

hey Charlie ... right on target ... wanted to say the same, but you were faster ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
I don't think Mag wants to be the best flashlight in the market the way flashaholics percieve the market. They want to be the best flashlight that you can see hanging on the rack at Walmart, Target and Home Depot. There is a big difference. As far as Mag is concerned, those 3 stores ARE the entire market and they are basically right in terms of mass merchandising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!

I will take the sales and Profits of MAG over all the other Flashlight companies COMBINED! (Well, streamlight and surefire would be tough competition).

But think of the PROFITS that MAG has! AND remember that they ARE all AMERICAN BUILT.

Mgz

Newly Enlightened

I LOVE to see how will their Solitarie LED do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I love their design, building and the twist mechanism..and more impartant it is EASY to find/buy.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I prefer the mag solitaire switch to my arc aaa. I can tighten down the mag TIGHTLY so it will stay OFF. No such luck on the aaa arc.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have to see it to believe it.

But, just in case, all CPF modders/manufacturers/assemblers should get your patents now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

If a large population currently thinks that Mag produces "the best" flashlight now, that same group of people will most likely think that Mag's LED light will be "the best" as well.

flash....

Enlightened

I would bet Mag reps are on CPF somewhere, I mean if I were a Mag engineer (Oxymoron and I'd be a whole lot dumber) or marketer and I knew about CPF, I sure would spend alot of time here. .
Kinda makes me feel uneasy.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

If Mag goes with a high-power LED, I wonder if they'll bypass Lumileds and go with Nichia, Osram, or just use Cree chips in their own LED packaging (they're a big company - they can afford such extravagances). Odds are they'll get better prices from an up-and-coming manufacturer, since price is something they need to compete on.

turbodog

Flashaholic

I think we will all agree that their legal tactics are heavy-handed. However, ask yourself this: would you be more or less critical of an elektrolumens blaster/etc if it said Mag on the side?

We rave about Wayne's lights, and they are nice to be sure. I have heard that he is able to do them full time now, having quit his job. Mag is such a company that they could put a light of equal or better (sorry Wayne) quality in every wal-mart in the country within 90 days or so.

Would YOU like to be able to mosey down to wally world and pick up a smokin 3x3 watt light for $35? With a lifetime warranty? With parts that are precise enough that they will swap out with another similar light bought halfway around the globe?

I am excited at the prospect of their led offerings. I figure they'll come out with something new, or a really nice quality improvement on existing lights, or a set of combined features that we all have been wanting (can anyone say U2?).

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can see one major advantage to GAGlite going to LED systems. The lighting source will still work after using the 5 d cell model as a club which is their main use. I also agree All the modders we have should patent every item they have developed; heatsinks, battery conversions, every thing that makes the LED function and sue gaglite as soon as any similarity appears on one.

Mark2

Enlightened

turbodog: As I understand, most of the Elektrolumens lights are OEM products of Chinese manufacturers. If Mag continues to produce their lights in the USA (which is what I expect), then even with good automation they won't be able to match the ultra-low prices of the Chinese OEM factories. So Wayne is not really in danger regarding prices (I bet he could even lower them a good deal if competition would require it), unless people start to buy Mag instead of Elektrolumens just because the Mags are made in the USA. But given the fact that Wayne is generally liked around CPF while Mag is, well, less liked, I guess Wayne will not have a problem at all.

bonvivantmike

Enlightened

As far as Elektrolumens vs. Mag, the competition will not be on price point. It will be on availability. No criticism of Wayne intended, but if something comparable to a Blaster is available at Home Depot, rather than waiting months for the slow boat from China, it's bound to cut into Wayne's sales.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm guessing that Mag's LED's won't have any circuitry beyond a resistor in order to keep the failure rate as low as possible. Their reputation is based on reliability and they won't want to lose that.

Latest posts