Maglite XL100 LED Flashlight Review

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the head assembly of the XL100 is similar to the Solitaire's (which I don't own, so I didn't make that connection), and it requires a tool to remove the reflector.

The reflector in the Solitaire has 'barbs' (like a fishhook) on the outside diameter. Once the reflector is pushed in, the barbs set up behind a ridge in the head. I needed a reflector removed in order to strip down the light for nickle plate. The only way I found to remove the reflector was to damage it. I got a replacement from another head that I cut in half to remove the reflector. Solitaires sell for under $5, so this was not a big money deal.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sadly, Maglite alluded to that for the XL100 as well. They have a repair kit for the Solitaire that includes the tool and a replacement lens and reflector because the chance of damaging the reflector during removal was pretty high, and such a kit for the XL100 is currently still in development with no ETA.

Future XL100 purchases are currently on hold for me because of the non-removeable plastic window (my XL100 already has some fine scratches on the plastic), but I may get one as a gift for my father. I guess they needed to fix the reflector to make the light focusable, but I'm sure the majority of users will keep it on the tightest focus because anything else will cause rings and holes, so maybe a non-fixed reflector like the 2AA's would have been a better idea... :(

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Solitaire has a one piece head. The mini-mags and the C and D lights have a head and bezel to hold in the lens. I would guess the cost to machine the additional parts vs. a one piece head is higher, even factoring in the cost of replacements.

Still - it looks like an interesting light.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, probably. The one-piece head would take the pressure off of the LED module, but this is definately disconcerting for flashoholics wanting to put a glass window in. :laughing:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review! I like the way the switch is set up, it seems to be very innovative and practical to use.The size looks great for general use but I really dislike the three AAA format.Does anyone know how soon this light will hit retail outlets? What are the online sources? I just checked a couple Mag retailers and they did not have it listed.

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, reset a couple things and it's working now. Add $7.95 S/H, and Amazon is still cheaper unless you want colors. :broke:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ;)

Anyway back on topic,I have one on the way and TBH I'm really looking forward to it.Mags were my first flashlights back in the 80's in fact I have a solitaire that still functions 30 years on(need I say,not brightly tho:D) so I have high hopes for this,Maglite IMHO have at least done a little home work with this I believe.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought since i prefer AA lights. Considering how big around the body is it would be nice if they came out with one that uses 18650 cells, but now that i think about it we would be the only group of people that would buy one. Not for the average consumer i guess.

Last edited: