Maglite XL100 LED Flashlight Review

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many 3xAAA lights can use a single 18500 lithium cell. I figure it's a long shot, but do you have any to try?
It's not going to work due to the need for the tailcap to have both + and - to power the circuitry, unless you do extensive modification to the carrier. Check out the pics of the battery carrier and the description of how it works.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never say never,it's not impossible just! rare thats all ;)

For instance look at this and yes it's not the battery in question but it just shows anything is poss.

001-103.jpg

McAllan

Enlightened
I don't think a metal reflector will help much, but as for glass, I investivated that. It turns out that you'll need a tool to remove the reflector, and the tool is still being developed. They said that the XL100 is similar to the Solitaire, so if you have one, you'll know what you're up against.

You're right. Will not improve light output much. But the over all quality feel would improve :wave:
I can see why some people want plastic but I prefer glass as it's harder to scratch and if it gets dirty you can just wipe it off with whatever you've got and it won't get matte. Of course I'm not using my lights in any kind of demanding military, law enforcement, extreme survival trips etc. either.

I've got a solitaire. It's very small however. But bet you could extract the reflector undamaged with a rubberized plier or similar if only it was a bit bigger. With a bit of technical ingenuity you can actually take many things apart which are generally regarded as non repairable.

It is definately not direct drive, it's buck-boost regulated. I was able to run the light off of two partially drained AAA's, although very dimly. Same LED module as in the 3D LED Maglite I believe, or at least very similar to it.

Thanks for clarifying! It's just when I see lights with 3 AAA I get very suspicious. Wonder why :thinking:
But then the nest question opens up. Wonder why it's not using 1 AA but perhaps 3 AAA are a little better at handling the load - at least when talking alkaline which I presume they've got in mind since it's clearly also marketed at Joe Average.
But then why not 4 AAA for improved output or run time? Most batterypack are sold in multiple of 4's and so are rechargeables. If using ordinary batteries you ideally should by 3 packs (4 pcs each) at a time. 3 is just such an odd number.

To be perfectly honest I can't think why anyone interested in flashlights would oversee the XL100,it's history in the making here :thinking:

You got that right. And for that purpose alone I'll get it as soon as it surfaces here in Europe. Even though the price here probably will be as much as a Fenix - Maglite is for some reason relatively expensive outside US - and then Fenix is probably cheap in China...
And one thing I'm eager about is to try the UI. As said that's some quite new and innovative departure from the usual soft buttons, reverse clickies and twisties.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a solitaire. It's very small however. But bet you could extract the reflector undamaged with a rubberized plier or similar if only it was a bit bigger. With a bit of technical ingenuity you can actually take many things apart which are generally regarded as non repairable.
I'm sure it can be ripped out some way or another, but replacement parts aren't available, so not many will try it yet. ;)

But then why not 4 AAA for improved output or run time? Most batterypack are sold in multiple of 4's and so are rechargeables. If using ordinary batteries you ideally should by 3 packs (4 pcs each) at a time. 3 is just such an odd number.
I suspect that they won't have any LED lights that use four cells because they would need to develop, support, and manufacture another type of LED module circuitry in addition to the 2-cell and 3-cell that they already have.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to remove the reflector so that I could try and add a UCL-LDF lens. I like diffusing my Mags as they make great indoor beaters, good for loaners and task lights.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried twisting the reflector as hard as I could, and the reflector didn't budge. Then the plastic made a worrisome creaking sound and it still wasn't moving, plus my fingers hurt, so I stopped. ;) Prying the tabs with a small screwdriver did nothing. I'm surprised at how tight it is...

EDIT: Upon reading the Solitaire's head disassembly instructions, I have given up until Maglite releases the kit. Too much of a chicken to try it, as Maglite does not have spare parts sales set up yet. The removal for the Solitaire is basically to shove the lens and reflector down with brute force. That will trash both the plastic window and possibly the reflector, and I can't confirm if the 2AA glass will work or whether or not the reflector is long enough to not require additional support to keep it and the window secure (or if it'll throw off the focus). The XL100 is same diameter as the 2AA's head so I think it should work, but the walls are thinner, so I'm not 100% sure.

http://www.maglite.com/pdf/CustServ/SOL_switch_repair_8_0410212004715032.pdf

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for clarifying! It's just when I see lights with 3 AAA I get very suspicious. Wonder why :thinking:
But then the nest question opens up. Wonder why it's not using 1 AA but perhaps 3 AAA are a little better at handling the load - at least when talking alkaline which I presume they've got in mind since it's clearly also marketed at Joe Average.
Exactly. And 2xAA is getting a little long for a tailswitch light and/or looking too much like a minimag for their new "tactical" claims.
I'd like 4xAAA as well, but for an entirely different reason -- 4xAAA in a carrier is typically just about 25 or 26mm diameter -- so instead of 18500, we get a shot at C-sized (25500/26500) Li-ion mods.

As for number of batteries, just get a brick of 24....

hiluxxulih

Enlightened
I just got my Maglite XL100 and its pretty sweet , interesting interface for the settings too :thumbsup:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be stopping by my Home Depot on my way home from work this morning! Thanks for the great review!!

EDIT: Stopped by my Home Depot, they don't have it yet.

Last edited:

brett09

Newly Enlightened
I stocked these at my Home Depot today, we just got them in for the first time. I'm assuming other Home Depots should be getting them in soon as well. I'm just trying to decide if I want to buy one...

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you work there, getting them at $39.99 minus whatever employee discount you have will definately make them a great deal. :thumbsup:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like the UPC (which in full is 038739660059). The Home Depot SKU is six digits and located on the price tag, not the item itself.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, thanks for trying. :)

I think it's only on store shelves though, just dug up my 2AA's receipts from last year (;)) and they only had UPC on them.