Magnetic Control Ring Popularity

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still currently edc a rrt-01 with an 18350 battery. great light still imo. guys if your worried about accidently activating the light, then mechanically lock the light out by a third/quarter twist of the battery tube ? thats what i do anyway :).

i also have an eye 10 and a v11r and a tn31. love all of them.

I am glad it works for you but I don't intend to have an EDC light that I have to lock out. It is bad enough to have to grad it,orient so the ring is where I need it to start and then dial to where I need.
At least with some others there is also a tail switch so I could preset the level and leave it there while the light is off.

Oh Wait! mine changed in the pocket on its own so that is out too.

Like I said,I may be the only one who has had this turn on it my pocket by itself but I am the only one who needs to use the light I carry too?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have a SF U2 and T1A - the T1A never impressed me much since most of the time I would have to ramp up through the lowest output to get to where I needed.

The U2 is somewhat better as the output can be pre-selected prior to turning on but I use it only very seldomly - just not that useful of a light IMO.

Honestly, I've had the T1A for a few years now but I still prefer a pair of good single mode lights or a good multimode like the L1 over the more-fiddly infinitely-variable lights.

kamuro

Newly Enlightened
given the complexity of the moving parts in the srt-7, what little play is there, i find acceptable. i've personally found no quality issues with the nitecore srt-7 in the week or so that i've had it. i like the MCR for the fact that it's easy to switch outputs on the fly...i prefer a side button UI for an EDC however. the klarus st11 i picked up will be carried much much more than the nitecore. but the nitecore is there when i need a bit more throw, or a dim red night light.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it seems obvious that having infinite control of the light level would be ideal, but in real world use it depends a lot on how you typically use your light. I bought, and enjoyed for quite a while, a Nitecore Infinilux IFE2. I felt the magnetic control implementation was superb. The ring action was smooth as silk, but would stay in place with no issues at all.

However, after a while I found that, for me, it was cumbersome and slow to use one handed, so I ended up selling it and getting a Zebralight SC600. With the side switch and quick access to multiple fixed levels, the SC600 works better for me.

It comes down to personal preference and what works best for YOU. If I were you I'd go ahead and get a light with a magnetic control ring and try it out and see for yourself if it fits your style. Many folks seem to love them.

Bumble

Enlightened
I am glad it works for you but I don't intend to have an EDC light that I have to lock out. It is bad enough to have to grad it,orient so the ring is where I need it to start and then dial to where I need.
At least with some others there is also a tail switch so I could preset the level and leave it there while the light is off.

Oh Wait! mine changed in the pocket on its own so that is out too.

Like I said,I may be the only one who has had this turn on it my pocket by itself but I am the only one who needs to use the light I carry too?

i can add some more info to my post :) i would NOT edc my rrt-01 at work (construction) for some of the reasons you have mentioned, i use an olight s20 baton for work. my rrt-01 which i use outside of work is used sporadically and not everyday :). mind you my sc52 is getting very close to relegating my rrt-01 to the shelf ;)

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can add some more info to my post :) i would NOT edc my rrt-01 at work (construction) for some of the reasons you have mentioned, i use an olight s20 baton for work. my rrt-01 which i use outside of work is used sporadically and not everyday :). mind you my sc52 is getting very close to relegating my rrt-01 to the shelf ;)

Same here exactly,also in construction.

Also EDC the SC52 and Fenix LD12 or LD22 because the tailswitch is just more convenient for the hundred times a day I need light quickly and at a preset level every time.

I also carry an HDS Clicky but do lock it out electronically and it is not as convenient as the lights that I don't lock out.

It is interesting how much the lights usefulness can change or reveal itself depending on our exact needs?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
V10R Ti - becoming a cult classic. Amazing light.

Battery Overhead - How often do you need to run your light on low for 200 hours? Use a rechargeable battery, end of story. If you want a battery vampire get a separate light for just that purpose and enjoy the pleasure of infinite variability.

The control ring rocks when you want to set level before turning it on.

The control ring rocks when you don't want to click twenty times to switch levels.

If you love a twisty based interface then control rings will be for you. If you like a clicky interface you may have trouble adjusting.

Danielight

Enlightened
I have a Sunwayman V10A, which uses the magnetic control ring. It's a nice light, but I don't use it as often, so it tends to sit on my dresser. I have noticed that after not using it for weeks at a time that the battery drain takes its toll. I use an Eagletac 14500, so I just pop out the battery & recharge it.

david57strat

Enlightened
I love control ring lights because I can select the mode I want before turning the light on. Sunwayman does a great job of this, I really like the old v10a and the v11r.

the Thrunite TN31 is a beast with a control ring :twothumbs

As for the shorter run times on low levels in real world use, that's rarely important in the light you have on you all the time. My bedside light I want long run times in moonlight mode because I don't want to change the battery very often ;)
how much moonlight mode per day do you use on your edc ? I use less than a minute of moonlight mode while at work per week, and hours on max or medium.
For me ill always have control ring or programable lights in rotation, either as edc or backup. Controlling the amount of light I produce, is one of the many reasons I'm a flashaholic ;)

I have a Thrunite TN30, and I love the control ring on that. Six outputs to choose from, and nicely-spaced.

I also own a Sunwayman V11R, and absolutely love the infinitely variable control ring on that.

Seriously, there is no one light that does it all - which is why I EDC eight. I, too, wish there were more control ring options available on other lights, but the cost associated with that makes it kind of prohibitive to manufacture, for the average flashlight user - which is probably why we don't see them in abundance. Of course, if you're a member of this forum, you probably are not an average flashlight user (and neither am I), and people who swear by that particular feature, are willing to invest the extra money associated with having such a feature.

The point is well-made, as by others, that the control ring is more susceptible to failure (At least - over time), because there are a lot more moving parts involved. That's another serious consideration for the person who needs the bullet-proof light that works every time, all the time, no matter what (as long as it has fresh batteries in it, obviously).

I personally would love to find a light that has the build quality of a Surefire, at the price of a Maglite, with the focusing features of a LED Lenser, the run times of a Zebralight, the size of a single 18650 light, that could run several hours (fully regulated, of course), if so-desired, at the highest output, and the available power of one of those Night Suns, that the cops use in thier helicopters.

One can wish..........just a few years ago, no one would have thought it possible to have 600 plus lumens, available in a light that one could literally carry in a pocket, if they so chose. Manned space flight was but a pipe dream. All in good time....and that's why I love being a flashaholic.

Last edited:

sjalbrec

Newly Enlightened
for me, one of the big advantages of having a torch with a magnetic control ring is its accessibility and ease of use for the uninitiated. they are great for having around the house for family members (kids), when camping with friends, or (temporarily!) loaning to coworkers. when i send a flashlight with my son to his three-week summer camp (just picked him up a jetbeam RRT-21 for $69.95), it just isn't feasible for the modes to be controlled by some cryptic tail cap click pattern. i love no longer getting that tell-tale blank look when i used to have to explain how to twist the head to activate the brightest mode.

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a few control ring lights, and my V11R HCRI is my EDC. Nothing else can compete when it comes to versatility and predictability. I am so used to having such complete control that anything else feels lacking. ;) Sure, there are some downsides, and if I could only own one light it might be something else. But I don't have to own only one light.

Gryffin

Enlightened
The magnetic control ring user interface is like the gesture functionality on my phone. A multi-mode clicky is like setting the time on my clock going in one direction; if you pass over the time you intended, you start over and cycle.

Nice analogy. :)

With a magnetic control ring type of interface, I can immediately get where I want, and in either direction (higher or lower).

With a magnetic control ring I can adjust the brightness levels real time. As I'm walking and have the light pointed down, I can be on lower power. When I need more distance, I can select higher power. I can go back and forth real easy and fast, and very intuitive.

For EDC, I simply see clicky and twisties as archaic technology, though will still have a niche.

Oh so very much THIS. The idea of a single click/twisty switch to both power on/off AND change modes today seems about as antiquated as the hard-wired LOW-OFF-HIGH-OFF switches with a resistor to reduce output, that we put up with ten years ago.

I'm with you, the ability to choose the output level *before* powering on is a huge advantage. Likewise, the ability to retain momentary-on for signaling, or short-period use, without cycling through modes.

Control rings are more difficult to produce, they also make flashlights bigger and more expensive. Personally I really care about the size of my flashlights (except 2x18650 thrower) so control ring is a no-go for me.

More expensive? Well, yes, but I for one find the additional functionality worth the price differential. Bigger? Au contraire. My Sunwayman V20C is dimensionally identical to my most compact P26 lights, namely Surefire C2 and Dereelight CL1H. Likewise, my SWM V11R with AA adapter is as small as any 1xAA clicky light I own. A control ring doesn't necessarily add length.

battery drain. most continuously variable MC flashlights have a max runtime of about 4 days. quarks or zebralights could run for weeks or months.

A valid point. The extra circuitry takes it's toll. But I don't see this as a valid real-world issue: even when I lost power for over a week during Sandy, I never even had to change batteries in my lights. I had a Coleman Micro Lantern (4xAA Eneloops) to light up the camp stove in the kitchen, the V11R for general navigation around the house, and the Thrunite Scorpion for outside use (dog walks / security patrols) including a few instances of "reach out and torch someone" usage when suspicious strangers were spotted. If I'm off in the woods, I carry spare cells. Fact is, I can't think of a realistic use case that would have me running a light continuously for weeks and/or months, especially on a single cell / set of cells.

There are some reports on Nitecore products, not particular the SRT7 or SRT6.
But there are some who mention the "play" in the control-ring of the SRT7, which probably only gets worse after a while. Also not a fan on their way for anti-reverse polarity.

The SRT7 control ring is my favorite to date. Not as draggy as the SWM ones, but with very positive detents. Time will tell how it holds up, but so far, it reeks of quality construction.

As for the reverse polarity, it might look funny, but dang I love it. The extra spring travel makes it one of the few 2xCR123A lights I own that can accommodate 2x18350 cells comfortably. All my cells are small-button, so I have no complaints whatsoever.

How often do you need to run your light on low for 200 hours? Use a rechargeable battery, end of story. If you want a battery vampire get a separate light for just that purpose and enjoy the pleasure of infinite variability.

The control ring rocks when you want to set level before turning it on.

The control ring rocks when you don't want to click twenty times to switch levels.

If you love a twisty based interface then control rings will be for you. If you like a clicky interface you may have trouble adjusting.

Amen, bruthah. :D

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why I don't like them?

1. Too much overhead in the circuitry. They are terribly inefficient and the batteries run dry even when off.
2. I like to know how much run time I have with a given battery / charge.
3. They don't seem as durable.
4. I'm perfectly fine with 2 or 3 output levels.

And lastly, I'm a type AAAAA personality. Overkill isn't enough. I hate frivolity and anything that even hints at weakness, whether real or not. Just me. I stick to my Surefires and Malkoffs.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why I don't like them?

1. Too much overhead in the circuitry. They are terribly inefficient and the batteries run dry even when off.
2. I like to know how much run time I have with a given battery / charge.
3. They don't seem as durable.
4. I'm perfectly fine with 2 or 3 output levels.

And lastly, I'm a type AAAAA personality. Overkill isn't enough. I hate frivolity and anything that even hints at weakness, whether real or not. Just me. I stick to my Surefires and Malkoffs.

Gryffin - love all of your responses.

Brasso:
1 - Terribly inefficient? I don't agree. Less efficient than just a regular driver - yes. Batteries run dry even when off - how is this possible when you have a clicky to physically disconnect the battery from the circuit path? I disagree.

2 - I know how much runtime I have. Besides, when you run your light at high (clicky or variable) you drastically reduce any low level extended time.

3 - Based on what evidence. I've never had a failure of either a clicky or a variable interface so hard to really say.

4 - That is perfectly fine which is why there are different option available.

There will always be people who love and hate everything out there. Just the way it is. Conversations go the same way in the neutral versus cool white threads.

Bucur

Enlightened
I am relatively new to modern flashlights but the second thing I have discovered about them, after their addictive performance, is how confusing their UI's can be for me, if I own many of them. Half press, full press, single click, double clicks, twisting the head clockwise and then anti-clockwise, and all this in either fast sequence, or slow; resulting in different levels or modes… I am now carrying the user manuals of some of my flashlights in their holsters (and referring to them after accidentally turning them on at turbo!). Nevertheless, a description like "half-press" or "in less than one second" does not mean exactly the same thing according to different manufacturers so, even the manuals may not be of great help, sometimes.

All this started when I decided to renew my old 6D Maglite with a Fenix TK71. What a difference (in terms of illumination!)… Then, I renewed my old no-name head-lamp with a Surefire Maximus. After getting the taste of having more lumens than I actually needed, a Nitecore TM15 was my next joy (the TM26 was not yet released). Then, I bought an EagleTac G25C2. This was before a Klarus MiX6SS became my pocket EDC. My addiction was building-up but even if my new Nitecore EA4 had similar UI as my TM15, I was still forgetting how to operate so many flashlights, with the exception of the Maximus (thanks to its rotary dial).

After replacing my G25C2 with a Nitecore SRT5, however, I never forget how to operate it. This is no different than the volume knob of an old-school audio device. The logic is either intuitive or already pre-set in my memory. I don't have to memorize, once again, that rotating clockwise increases and rotating counter-clockwise decreases the intensity. This is so straightforward. The same applies to the tail clicky: One click means "on", another click means "off". That is it and that is all. I am now replacing my MiX6SS with a Niteye 10TIC and I regret that I didn't get something like the Niteye 30 instead of the TM15 for the sake of its rotary adjustment. I hope the next Tiny Monster comes with a rotary dial. Or, shall I hope the opposite so that I can resist my urge to buy another hyper-lumen flashlight, simply because I will not forget how to operate it?...

I may be too old (I am 58) for so many flashlights with different UI's. No other flashlight for me, from now on, unless it has a rotary dial (and zillion lumens and/or candela, of course). For me, what matters is that the dial is rotary but not necessarily that it is a magnetic ring or that it is infinitely adjustable. I can do with detents for well-spaced levels. When the size of the flashlight does not matter as much, an additional clicky ON/OFF switch could be handy, though. Just my 2 cents.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Still love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

firelord777

Enlightened
Honestly, my favorite UI of all time is the Fenix TA21's selector ring. It is an absolutely beautiful flashlight,

Cheers:)

buds224

Enlightened
Honestly, my favorite UI of all time is the Fenix TA21's selector ring. It is an absolutely beautiful flashlight,

Agreed. Combination of step levels, control ring, and still have a forward-clicky with momentary. I have x2 and wouldn't mind finding myself a 3rd. Although not impressive on paper, the sucker still throws like crazy.

firelord777

Enlightened
Agreed. Combination of step levels, control ring, and still have a forward-clicky with momentary. I have x2 and wouldn't mind finding myself a 3rd. Although not impressive on paper, the sucker still throws like crazy.

Yeah,

I just came back from a game of "ball tag", and what we do is go out into our backyard in pitch black darkness into the wilderness and one person has a soccer ball that is supposed to tag others with.

Mind you, it's very competitive since we all have camo, and can disappear just as fast as we can be found.

Point is, we heard something in the bushes and I had my TA21 with me set on low, and I turned it on and in a second I was already on high, after I quickly turned the ring around.

And yes, although by today's standards it's hardware is outdated, it still remains one of the best flashlights out there, clean tactical beam, and generous spill. Not to mention its cool looking appearance and awesome UI.

Fenix told me they cancelled the TA25 and TA40 developments. I think they should do another TA21 like flashlight.