Malkoff Bodyguard

ETC.. I too would prefer to pack my M61T or HOT.. I don't wear breast pockets. So, i cargo or rear carry.. IMR 18650 is my choice of power, and i always keep a car charger at hand.. Mr Tacicools LOL!!

Folks use the term "tactical" because it just sounds way more man-lee-man than "niche". Carrying a tactical item exudes more testostorone prone individuals, while the French word pronounced 'neesh' sounds like a term used when exploring your feminine side while watching a chick-flick with the girl who dumped you for the leather clad jerk-weed while saying "we can be friends" or "you don't mind sleeping on the sofa while he's here do you?"....

No "tactical" is way more burely.

If it were bored for 18mm, then it couldn't be made E-series compatible. Maybe E-series compatibility was a requirement from whatever agency requested these lights.

Just food for thought.

--flatline

Folks use the term "tactical" because it just sounds way more man-lee-man than "niche". Carrying a tactical item exudes more testostorone prone individuals, while the French word pronounced 'neesh' sounds like a term used when exploring your feminine side while watching a chick-flick with the girl who dumped you for the leather clad jerk-weed while saying "we can be friends" or "you don't mind sleeping on the sofa while he's here do you?"....

No "tactical" is way more burely.

Or maybe...just maybe...the agency that requested the light be built to certain specifications had a pretty good idea of how and why those features would be beneficial in use.

Nah...that could never happen. Must be a bunch of posers. :rolleyes:

Please pass the brie...

Folks use the term "tactical" because it just sounds way more man-lee-man than "niche".

Actually there is a difference between a true "tactical" light and one intended for more utilitarian purposes. To your point though, some lights labeled as "tactical" actually aren't.

The primary consideration for a tactical light is that it must - without fail - activate on maximum output every time. Programmable lights are prone to becoming deprogrammed; lights that require multiple pushes of the switch are obviously a non-starter; the Malkoff bezel switch could become loosened during carry and result in the light activating on reduced output at the next push of the switch; even the two-stage "gas pedal" switch used on some newer Surefire lights could also prevent the quick deployment of maximum output if the tail cap backs off enough.

Most of the time, a tactical light needs to be deployed quickly and with a single hand.

With that requirement, a single output light with no high-low switch (or the ability to be programmed/deprogrammed) is the usual choice for this application. However, the ability to have reduced output for extended runtime and for situations where retina-burning output is not required is where the Bodyguard shines: it will always without fail activate on maximum output and there's nothing to prevent the light from doing so ​short of a depleted battery. At the same time, leave the light activated for more than 10 seconds and the reduced output mode is available if needed.

The Malkoff Bodyguard's UI is intended solely for this application and in that regard, may now be the best available.

Thank you, NH Lumens. These are valid points. I only want to say to the group, but to no one in particular, that I hope this thread doesn't follow the Elzetta thread down the path of "tactical" debates. I can't bear it if this devolves into further arguments regarding the proper use of the term, who rightfully owns it, who's a poser, who's a couch commando, and whose resume is most fit to frame the discussion.

I'm obviously in no position to police the thread, but Malkoff is first rate manufacturer and I think his products deserve frank evaluation by the group. What seems most relevant to me is how this tactical product stacks up against similar offerings from other makers. Just my two cents.

Thank you, NH Lumens. These are valid points. I only want to say to the group, but to no one in particular, that I hope this thread doesn't follow the Elzetta thread down the path of "tactical" debates.

The word "tactical" is truly over-used and is too often applied to things that aren't the least bit so. In that regard, I have to agree with the previous comments.

And for walking the dogs I still prefer either my Wildcat v.6 or Hound Dog 18650, both of which are equipped with the high-low bezel switch. ;-)

Thank you for opening the current thread; this will be a much better long-term solution as the 'Junkie' thread will close shortly, while this thread (& others) will continue to be active while also getting their own reference links in the new thread.
Best regards,

I have one of these arriving on Monday. I'll let everyone know my thoughts after I have had a chance to use/test it.

:buddies: guilty of doing this with most of my purchases lol

+1 to Sierra Nevada.. on my 3rd round, and got a bodyguard in my cart - The more i visualize using the UI the more want to try it out first hand.. Price is not bad utilizing "Mil" discount, oh what da heck it's only money!

Just had a look, i like it! I also think its cool having the chance to purchase lights like this, awesome stuff Gene! :)

I am sure for any malkoff junkie..........................surely it must be a must buy for their family. :naughty:

Is anyone buying the bodyguard head over the body complete body and head? I can't see not buying the head and body for $20 more...I have plenty of shrouded 16340 bodies but the cost for a bodyguard body is so negligible. I feel like the body should be a little bit cheaper on this light or the head should be a bit cheaper.

Is anyone buying the bodyguard head over the body complete body and head?

I am, only because I already have several MDC bodies to use it with.

I ordered the head on Tuesday 6/26, was supposed to be delivered by end of day Thursday - but I'm still waiting. The head was shipped immediately from Malkoff via Priority Mail and USPS moved it from AL to NH (to a distribution center within 12 miles of my house) in 32 hours. But over the last few days it's been bouncing around post office to post office, and as of this moment still not at the one that actually delivers my mail.

Once again, the U.S. Postal Service demonstrates why it sucks so bad....