Malkoff "Hound Dog"

Oh, you're the lucky dog who got that deal from dhunley1. Nice catch.

On the MDC, is the serial number on the head? Or the battery tube? I don't own one, so I can't compare.

Thanks! Yes it is on the head. Sorry about the photo quality

38230832394_c03383af5d_z.jpg
[/URL]IMG_5656 by wildweed78, on Flickr[/IMG]

It's such a capable light for so many outdoor purpose, it's tough not to like. Congrats on the purchase!

Yeah, I'm really liking it for using in the backyard and for night time dog walks.

Can you please post a picture of LED inside?

I'll see if I can snap a pic later. My picture taking skills aren't the greatest so no guarantees! lol.

I'm always curious about serial numbers. In particular, why is it that only Hound Dogs have serial numbers etched into the head of the flashlight? Well, I don't have any of the smaller MDC variety, so I can't speak to that point. But none of my MDX heads have serial numbers.

My HD 18650 has serial number 0295. I purchased it in August of last year. What's on yours?

Mine is 0418.

Just joined the Hound Dog 18650 (neutral) club. What a fantastic light. 0421 s/n.

Does anybody know what the predicted Low runtime would be?

Last edited:
Just joined the Hound Dog 18650 (neutral) club. What a fantastic light. 0421 s/n.

INFRNL did some extensive run time testing recently, including some low beam tests. I believe you can find his data on this thread a few pages back. If I weren't rushing out the door for work, I'd go back and find them for you. The short answer is that the low beam runs for a really, really, really long time.

INFRNL did some extensive run time testing recently, including some low beam tests. I believe you can find his data on this thread a few pages back. If I weren't rushing out the door for work, I'd go back and find them for you. The short answer is that the low beam runs for a really, really, really long time.

Hmm I noticed the graph with the 18500 low runtime, but not the 18650 HD low runtime. But I agree, many many hours sounds right!

I have both N and 'regular' and the tint is very similar. The regular is a higher brighter. while the N has a hair better tint.

Md3 low mode test ran for so long, i was not about to run md4 test. I do not have enough time to sit and baby sit high mode test let alone low mode.

I do have 2 data logging light meters now, so i will start doing some tests on lights i still own, as i get the time to do so. With data logging, i may possibly do some low mode tests but don't hold your breath.

I have also concluded my primary battery tests and will post graphs and thoughts. I may have to run additional tests as i had some different results that makes me question things. I will post my results later tonight or tomorrow and go from there. Although I think i initially posted the initial results in the junkie thread

Just now doing a run-time test on the Super Hound-Dog, neutral tint, on the low setting. Using 2x18650, with 3400 mAh capacity, in the MD4 host.

So far, I am at 22 hours and there is still plenty of light left. Eye-balling it, it may have started to fall out of regulation. Will continue tomorrow, I hope, until the light stops or at least gets to be not very usable (moonlight).

On the high setting, I get a run-time close to the "official", Malkoff-website, posted time.

Is it possible to run the hd 18650 on 2x primaries? I think this light has 6v max input. With a load i would think primaries would be safe to use but it may be borderline, idk.

Also, i think I ran a low mode 18650 test several months back for the hd 18650 but not sure where my notes are. If i recall, it ran for nearly 40 hrs before I called the test.

Maybe at some point I'll think about it but it should run for a very long time being it only puts out around 30lm iirc

Is it possible to run the hd 18650 on 2x primaries? I think this light has 6v max input. With a load i would think primaries would be safe to use but it may be borderline, idk.

Also, i think I ran a low mode 18650 test several months back for the hd 18650 but not sure where my notes are. If i recall, it ran for nearly 40 hrs before I called the test.

Maybe at some point I'll think about it but it should run for a very long time being it only puts out around 30lm iirc

I remember someone conducting a low mode test on the Hound Dog 18650 using primaries. I thought it was your test?

Just now doing a run-time test on the Super Hound-Dog, neutral tint, on the low setting. Using 2x18650, with 3400 mAh capacity, in the MD4 host.

So far, I am at 22 hours and there is still plenty of light left. Eye-balling it, it may have started to fall out of regulation. Will continue tomorrow, I hope, until the light stops or at least gets to be not very usable (moonlight).

On the high setting, I get a run-time close to the "official", Malkoff-website, posted time.

OK, test now completed (I am quoting myself to have final results together).

Malkoff Super Hound-Dog on low just went out, at close to 24 hours.

It looks as if the SHD goes out completely rather than having a long time of declining output (like several other Malkoff drop-ins behave).

Rather like the M30 in that regard, which must be some kind of champion in using all available current at its highest rated regulated output.

PS -- I just though of something more, the "regular" Hound Dog could have longer run-time on low (40 hours quoted by infrnl) because its output is significantly lower, at 30 lumens. The Super Hound Dog I think has much higher low, somewhere 60-100 lumens.

Last edited:
OK, test now completed (I am quoting myself to have final results together).

Malkoff Super Hound-Dog on low just went out, at close to 24 hours.

This is excellent information. Thank you.

When you say that the high beam run time was close to the official specs, do you mean that is was regulated for one hour? Or was there a decline? I've never run my Super until battery cut off.

This is excellent information. Thank you.

When you say that the high beam run time was close to the official specs, do you mean that is was regulated for one hour? Or was there a decline? I've never run my Super until battery cut off.

It was on for a bit over an hour (on high), and then it switched off. No time period with a declining output that I could see.

I should really run a test on low with a Hound Dog that's configured for 3x18650.

Yeah, it will run just fine. Just don't stick primaries in it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the HD 18650 is an awesome light. The neutral tint is warmer than any of my other neutral Malkoffs, and i really like it. The low is great for general use and the high is great for when I want blast out some light while still being "practical". I really like that I can just toss it in my coat pocket since it's nice and cold now, too.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the HD 18650 is an awesome light. The neutral tint is warmer than any of my other neutral Malkoffs, and i really like it. The low is great for general use and the high is great for when I want blast out some light while still being "practical". I really like that I can just toss it in my coat pocket since it's nice and cold now, too.

Yep, it's a champ. Bit of advice? I'd loosen the head for low beam while it's in your coat pocket. Our Aussie friend, XR6Toggie, recently melted down the lens on his HD 18650 by accidentally switching on the high mode while it was in his coat pocket.