Master thread for disasters and generators.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Completed the 3-step break-in without anything terribly exciting happening. At the tail end of the run I determined experimentally that a single unit will not reliably start a small crappy window unit AC that I've got - overloaded the first attempt on both units, but curiously started the second time (post-reset) without complaint. Does pointedly illustrate the real limits of starting a major inductive load with that 2kW starting limit.

Need to contact an electrician and determine what they can do about an inlet interlock/transfer switch, and how much work I can do on my own.

I have had same problem starting an a/c with eu2k. Trick is to start using both units together, then turn thermostat all the way down and shutdown one unit. But, you are probably close to max load at that point so be careful.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have had same problem starting an a/c with eu2k. Trick is to start using both units together, then turn thermostat all the way down and shutdown one unit. But, you are probably close to max load at that point so be careful.

I expect that 'normal' operation will run both generators for a multi-hour or workday outage then scale back if it turns into a prolonged outage.

BVH

Flashaholic
More or less for larger ac units, the soft start device works very well.

http://www.hypereng.com/

I installed one on my 4-ton Trane condenser/compressor unit with the following results:

Before: 122 Amps Inrush current (nameplate indicates 124 Amps)
After: Start 1 was 58 Amps, Start 2 was 51 Amps, Start 3 was 51 Amps. Instructions said up to 6 starts to set optimum start program. So a 58% reduction. I'm happy with that!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect that 'normal' operation will run both generators for a multi-hour or workday outage then scale back if it turns into a prolonged outage.

+

re: your WEN units

- Noticed today, the sale on the WEN units is over.
Not sure how long ago it ended, but if you would've waited a couple weeks, your generator decision would have been more difficult.

scout24

Flashaholic
We had 50mph winds here yesterday, with branches and trees down everywhere. Lost power at about 3pm as a tree took out lines a mile or so from here. Still out this morning, power company outage map says we'll be back on late this afternoon but they have pockets with more people out than us so I'm not holding my breath. This was my first real run with the eu7000i since the house was built, so it is a great learning experience since the weather isn't too cold and snowy. Finding out what I can run at the same time, and using the meter on the unit to see what some of the bigger individual loads are. Small stuff is easy, a little math or the Kill-a-watt plugin meter which I love. It's not a whole house generator, you can't walk around like you're connected to the power company, but with a bit of thought it runs everything here. Great practice, if a bit inconvenient.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread, not sure how I've missed it before.

I may be in a different situation as many here, as my career/job requires me to be at work in many/most "situations" that can result in the loss of power.

My wife and I were engaged (2016) and we were preparing to combine 3 households into 1, as we were going to move my (then future) Mother-in-Law, along with myself, into my wife's house.

While discussing "things to consider" she told me how her power would be lost for hours/days at a time, and how on multiple occasions during the winter, she would need to load up the kids and relocate to her mothers house, sometimes for 3 to 4 days.

This option (MIL's house) would no longer be available, and with me (my wife also, as she is a Respiratory Therapist) likely not being available "at home" for much/many of these types of "situations", the use of any portable device that requires moving and running cords, etc is/was NOT an option, for my almost 80 y/o MIL to use!

So I had a 22kw Generac installed (NG) in early 2017.

The first time it "ran", was approx. 15 min after I left the house for work, and it ran for 30+ hours.

My MIL called me to make sure if there was anything she had to do, with it running, and I can't begin to tell you what piece of mind it gave me knowing all was well at home.

The money I spent going the "whole house" generator route has proven to be trivial, and frankly, some of the best money I've ever spent.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Only thing about NG whole house units is that you need eye protection when using them. The dials on the gas meter spin so fast, they can fly off and poke you in the eye.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing about NG whole house units is that you need eye protection when using them. The dials on the gas meter spin so fast, they can fly off and poke you in the eye.

Try knowing that your family is freezing at home, with NO power, and you can NOT get home to help them, you'll find out quickly what it is worth!

Frankly, I find the whole "what does the NG cost" argument a complete and utter joke (at least for my situation, yours may certainly vary), as the minimal cost is NOTHING, in comparison to knowing your family (and house) is being fully taken care of.

I'm using a 22kw and at least for me, the cost of running it, for at times more then a day or two, is hardly worth mentioning, compared to replacing spoiled food from refrigerators and freezers, and having my family living in comfort, not having to worry about them needing to relocate, when I can NOT be there.

Also, try replacing spoiled food, from refrigerators and freezers, see what that costs.

Also, for many elderly or handicapped folks, utilizing anything other then an automatic whole house generator may be next to, if not impossible.

Again, I understand everyone's situation is different, however, for some of us the cost is minimal, in comparison to the "piece of mind" we gain, as we may be unavailable to our families when these are needed.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Like scout24 mentioned, Kill-a-watt plugin meter is a must own item.

Been thinking alot about my enclosure setup & accessibility factors. I think a small vertical shed is the only way to go.
Trying to place my units down inside a box, connect them all together, get then pull started, refuel ect.. it will be a genuine no-go.
especially in really challenging conditions/dark

So, a return of the box I bought & getting a vertical shed is a must. One that the front opens & also the top.

= This rethink is part of the process & can be a bit of a fuss.

scout24

Flashaholic
Poppy- With a full sized fridge and a stand up freezer running with one room's electric baseboard on, I can run either my well pump, water heater, or coffee pot. Just a bit of juggling breakers, up and down the stairs to turn stuff on and off. 30 amps/5500 watts sounds like a lot until you try to live like you're plugged into 200 amp regular service. Propane fireplace just draws a little bit for the blower fan, and our oven/cooktop is propane as well.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

It's only a matter of time that you'll connect a L14 30A 4-prong cable to your EV,
use that for emergency power in your house.

85~100 kWh will keep things running for a while..

turbodog

Flashaholic
Try knowing that your family is freezing at home, with NO power, and you can NOT get home to help them, you'll find out quickly what it is worth!

Frankly, I find the whole "what does the NG cost" argument a complete and utter joke (at least for my situation, yours may certainly vary), as the minimal cost is NOTHING, in comparison to knowing your family (and house) is being fully taken care of.

I'm using a 22kw and at least for me, the cost of running it, for at times more then a day or two, is hardly worth mentioning, compared to replacing spoiled food from refrigerators and freezers, and having my family living in comfort, not having to worry about them needing to relocate, when I can NOT be there.

Also, try replacing spoiled food, from refrigerators and freezers, see what that costs.

Also, for many elderly or handicapped folks, utilizing anything other then an automatic whole house generator may be next to, if not impossible.

Again, I understand everyone's situation is different, however, for some of us the cost is minimal, in comparison to the "piece of mind" we gain, as we may be unavailable to our families when these are needed.

Couple of things. First, humor is a real thing. Second, I'm one of the few that have a whole house NG unit in this thread. Go back and catch up.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a small 3300W Firman inverter generator with some gasoline. I got it for emergency back redundancy for my Kerosene heaters and wood stove. I don't anticipate any type of power outages will be an issue for me any time of the year.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple of things. First, humor is a real thing. Second, I'm one of the few that have a whole house NG unit in this thread. Go back and catch up.

My apologies

Humor, and sarcasm, can be very difficult to "sense" on a site such as this, especially with 23 pages of responses

Again, my apologies

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

Took me awhile to go back and find your post #503 (of 675 posts, page 17 of 23).

Very sorry I didn't remember THAT post, about your 14kw set-up

Also, you're correct, humor is a real thing

Again, my apologies for missing post #503 out of 675 posts.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Poppy- With a full sized fridge and a stand up freezer running with one room's electric baseboard on, I can run either my well pump, water heater, or coffee pot. Just a bit of juggling breakers, up and down the stairs to turn stuff on and off. 30 amps/5500 watts sounds like a lot until you try to live like you're plugged into 200 amp regular service. Propane fireplace just draws a little bit for the blower fan, and our oven/cooktop is propane as well.
scout24,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Oh yes, I can see how an all electric house, (except for fireplace, and stove top) can be a challenge for a portable generator.

Having natural gas, and city water, my electrical challenge would be minimal during any season, except summer where I might want to run AC.

My big draw items are:
Refrigerator, freezer, clothes washer, gas fired dryer, whole house 450 watt fan. I don't think the hot water circulator pump for my gas fired furnace is a big draw item, my guess is about 400 watts. (edit ... probably more like 100 watts. I have a single floor ranch.)
Items that may or may not get used, include: Toaster, Mr. Coffee, hair dryer, and dish washer.
I'm hoping that TV, modem and lights, combine to be minimal. (edit... about 300 - 350 watts.)

One of these days, I'll borrow my friend's Kill a Watt, and do some math, maybe set up a spreadsheet.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
scout24,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Oh yes, I can see how an all electric house, (except for fireplace, and stove top) can be a challenge for a portable generator.

Having natural gas, and city water, my electrical challenge would be minimal during any season, except summer where I might want to run AC.

My big draw items are:
Refrigerator, freezer, clothes washer, gas fired dryer, whole house fan. I don't think the hot water circulator pump for my gas fired furnace is a big draw item, my guess is about 400 watts.
Items that may or may not get used, include: Toaster, Mr. Coffee, hair dryer, and dish washer.
I'm hoping that TV, modem and lights, combine to be minimal. (edit... about 300 - 350 watts.)

One of these days, I'll borrow my friend's Kill a Watt, and do some math, maybe set up a spreadsheet.

Fridge/freezer are low draw items unless they are 50 years old.

Gas dryer is low also. Yes it's got a motor, but it's also got gear/belt reduction.

Circulation pump here is less than 100 watts. Yours is probably larger, but I would be surprised if it's over 150.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My fridge/freezer, and freezer are each less than 2 years old.

If I had to cycle the generator on and off, how long, and how often, do you think I would have to run it, to bring the temps back down to safe food temps?

hmmm a little google search says that the average refrigerator runs about 8 hours a day.
That translates into 8 hours ON, and 24 hours minus 8 = 16 hours OFF.

So I guess I can turn the generator OFF for two hours at a time, and then run it for an hour.
Maybe at night when the fridge isn't opened and closed, I can turn the generator off for six hours, and then run it three hours in the morning.

In part I was wondering, how I could help my neighbors. Two out of three of them do not have a generator. SO... I can hook one up with power for a couple of hours, and he should be good for about an additional four, and then power the other neighbor for a couple of hours, and he should be good for about four. Two hours later the gennie can be moved back to the first house.

Last edited: