• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLuxIII-T (titanium) : would you be in if another run takes place?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not miss the chance if it came around again. I would love to see him make it in the PD form, I use the momentary feature far more than the constant-on.

It would also be great if Don would offer the 27T head as an upgrade to the current PD's as well as the Ti (if they will work on both)

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
London Lad said:
I would be up for one 100% (would prefer the PD and / or large head if they ever happened)

Well, actually, I'm one of those who would like it as it's been built first time.

Let me explain:
- Before I got a PD, I was clearly anti twisty... Now that I know what a silk smooth twisty is, I'm clearly pro twisty, almost anti-clickie. The fact that the first T did not have the piston-drive was (and still is) some kind of an advantage to my eyes : event more KISS, more reliable (smaller number of parts to fail/break and also no water seal to worry about at this end of the light...)

- The large head is GREAT, I love it, still it is not intended to match the same EDC use. As you say, it would be a great "option" to get, for times that you need it for a particular job, but for the rest of the time, I would definitly stay on the small but incredible small reflector.

Woww... 26 strong YES and 7 quite interrested... Thats far beyong my expectations :wow:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep I would definitely be in for a Ti, timing wasn't right for me on the first round…..Holidays = :broke:

The 27mm head should be an option thats a killer looking light, surely a few of the current Ti owners would step up for one also :devil:

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so in it hurts! In In In In In In

Oh, y'all get the idea... :naughty:

Fringe

Enlightened
Tino,

You make great points about the absent piston. And I believe this was Don's intention, not to mnetion a huge cost issue as well to machine the piston out of Ti. Kiss is right on with this light.

F.

kevindick

Newly Enlightened
I'd be in for any McGizmo Ti light. I'm especially interested in the 27LT. I like the 2x123 with 27L size.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Hi all

Yep I'd love one of the Ti-IIIs- I like the original twisty with smaller reflector, not the 27LT. I love the fact that you can upgrade the LED.
Good luck everyone.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I'm fortunate to have a McLux-T Ti light and my single biggest gripe for EDC use is lack of the Piston Drive tailswitch especially for quick momentary operation. Don had stated the Ti and standard McLux PD heads are not interchangeable, and I found he was half right. I placed the Ti head on a Chrome McLuxIII-PD body and achieved a Piston Drive McLux-T Frankenlight of my own. The Ti body will not accept standard PD heads, but the Ti head fits and works as a twisty and PD on a PD body. Cheers to PSM for the inspiration to do the "mod". Heres a quick and dirty pic:

dsc00255red4oo.jpg

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
ICUDoc said:
Hi all

Yep I'd love one of the Ti-IIIs- I like the original twisty with smaller reflector, not the 27LT. I love the fact that you can upgrade the LED.
Good luck everyone.

I'm with you!!!
This makes the titanium host a lifetime investment. Whatever happens:
- do not like the tint
- find by chance a terrific bin, UYOH or so...
- LED or concerter failure
- huge improvement in the future that would justify an upgrade
You can always count on your McLuxIII-T to be tweaked.

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Hey, if you find a UY0H somewhere, be a pal and grab one for me!!! That would be one HELL of a dream LED....

Don promised a step by step LED replacement guide after SHOT, but didnt have time before hitting the warm waters of Maui, so after his return, be sure and remind him of that......

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

The step by step will be rather quick!
There is only two wires to unsolder, and one screw to take off.

Still I agree that a step by step "DIY" would be usefull for those who are not used to mod, and are (rightly!!) scared of spoiling anything.

I think there are also a few tips to know about, just like the use of a non adhesive thermal compound between the heatsink and the titanium head...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys! :wave:

I hope to subject some of these Ti lights to clean salt air and water here on Maui. :)

Last year, I was here with a PD and HD45 proto and gave them similar exposure. At present, I am inclined to take a look at a refined revision of the PD and get it quoted in Ti. My last night home, I machined a Ti PD [candle] head that is absent any optics what so ever. It uses a window seal design that I have implemented in some 12V fixed light fixtures that are currently in production stages. This simple light will allow me to test the weather resistance of the design. I have a couple other protos to test and play with to get some ideas of where to go next.

The 27L reflector is a part that I am real happy with and it's a bummer that I was finally in a position to build some 27LT's just prior to leaving but no time with which to build them. :( It has been suggested that a 27L Ti head would be nice as an option. Well I suspect that such an option would be too pricey and not in demand enough to support its undertaking. :shrug: I have to take these small but expensive runs one at a time and carefuly! :green:

Any way, to re cap, tentitive plan is to look at a Ti PD with minor revisions and improvements over the original PD. Of significance would be the Al heat sink as used in the T and some refinements in geometry that should improve the fit and function of any given set of parts but not be of any reconizable difference to the user. There may be partial compatability with existing PD's but not as a primary design goal or consideration.

There is no list and I will not attempt to keep any e-mails sent as a request to be on this non existant list. Sorry but I won't take orders or try to keep track of potential customers for vapor ware! If and when a project takes some form and life, I will keep you guys appraised of this but not to any great extent or as an open topic of discussion or design options. If it is, it will be what it is.

:wave:

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
>>There is no list and I will not attempt to keep any e-mails sent as a request to be on this non existant list.

:mecry:

>>It has been suggested that a 27L Ti head would be nice as an option. Well I suspect that such an option would be too pricey and not in demand enough to support its undertaking.

How about a list for that one? :naughty:

I'll take one...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If I may dream ... Don ... a 27L head on a 2x123 body with a piston would make quite a few people here happy ... at least I'd be drooling like seldom before ... :D :drool:

bernie