MKN SST-90 MOD Flashlight

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what I was referring to.

2945581050048953316S600x600Q85.jpg

I thought QtrHorse was selling some of these as well.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The SST-50 version that Lighthound.com has now is brighter than the SST-90 that they used to sell, I have both versions. I'm assuming because the new SST-50 version that they are selling uses a 4.2A driver instead of the 2.8A that the SST-90 uses. It could also be the color temp of the LED but the SST-50 is noticeably brighter than the SST-90 that I have.

No disrespect meant but I would imagine it could be easy to make an error in judgment between the SST-50 & SST-90 since the "50" projects a much tighter hot spot. Having compared the 47's S12 to the X7 sometimes leaves one with the impression that the X7 is brighter since the eye naturally focuses on the hotspot and ignores the massive amount of spill from the S12. It's only when you perform a ceiling bounce test and the S12 nearly doubles the lux number of the X7 on the light meter that one realizes what's happening there. Obviously the XM-L is not an SST-50 but the principle and effect are similar. 730L compared to 525L is fairly decisive and I suspect that MKN is very familiar with the differences. Perhaps you could do a light meter test for us if you have access to one. :)

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be correct in regards to the difference in beam profiles. The 50 is more of a thrower compared to the 90 which happens to be almost all flood. To be honest, I lean more towards floody lights but the 50 is a perfect ballance for me. I like that it has a nice wide beam and also gets out there. As I stated, it also may be just the tints that makes the 50 look so much brighter.

As a matter of fact, I do have access to a IS. The only problem is that Mr. Gman and Ti-force have made it very clear that the sphere I have access to is no where near as accurate as the $300 foam spheres they have made. When I explained that info to the company I work for, they were very angry that they spent close to $40K on the sphere they have. There is a lot of legal action that has been filed with the company we purchased it from. They have since ordered a 36in foam ball, $200 light meter, Texas Instruments calculater, a few note pads, some very nice mechanical pencils and are currently using the much less expensive foam sphere for all their tests now. :twothumbs

No disrespect meant but I would imagine it could be easy to make an error in judgment between the SST-50 & SST-90 since the "50" projects a much tighter hot spot. Having compared the 47's S12 to the X7 sometimes leaves one with the impression that the X7 is brighter since the eye naturally focuses on the hotspot and ignores the massive amount of spill from the S12. It's only when you perform a ceiling bounce test and the S12 nearly doubles the lux number of the X7 on the light meter that one realizes what's happening there. Obviously the XM-L is not an SST-50 but the principle and effect are similar. 730L compared to 525L is fairly decisive and I suspect that MKN is very familiar with the differences. Perhaps you could do a light meter test for us if you have access to one. :)

Last edited:

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
but min order =10:mecry:... we need this in dx or cpf marketplace

I want buy only one or two, not 10!!!!!!!!:rant:

http://es.tradekey.com/product_view/id/1320430.htm
See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images. Please host on an image site, Imageshack or similar and repost – Thanks Norm

You just need to contact the Seller and ask for samples. I also did order 2 of them, 1 with sst-50 and one empty. And the 190$ at lighthound are way overpriced, i paid around 130$ for 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLumens

Newly Enlightened
I made one heres the video[video]<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jp-yy7MKwcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

Last edited:

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
Bought the Torchlight JM07 SST-50 back in December when Lighthound had them on sale for $69.99. They also had the version with the larger head, for $79.99.

I didn't get the larger head one, but in retrospect I probably should have as well.
I do professional mineshaft exploration. Till now had been using a L2p with a thrunite xm-L that I've been really happy with, both with and without the tube extender.
I'd been wanting to get an SST-50 for quite a while though, so when I saw this one on sale I snapped one up. Haven't gotten to use it underground yet but hopefully next week I'll get to test it out. Really looking forward to it.

I noticed it makes my Thrunite xm-L dropin look really weak. I don't recall what amperage that one is drawing off the top of my head, but after I saw what someone had mentioned about "fade" I thought perhaps that might have occurred to some degree. I'd have to get another one like it to be sure I suppose. Or the SST-50 just always looks that way in comparison. Not sure.

The 4000mAh 26650's that I got for it off batteryspace are ICR not IMR. It's been a while since I've been on here, is there a large functional difference between those two?