Mr. Bulk, tell us your next project: Li-on Cub?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: Mr. Bulk, tell us your next project: Li-on Cub

MY - enough pot-stirring for one day (or even one week or longer actually). I will announce exactly what I have when I actually have them in my hands...but one thing - I believe in an intense blue-white tint, some thing only the YO's or YA's will provide, not Xx's. Those wanting warm or creamy or any of the other multitude of terms to describe "not really white" should stick to WO's or WA's or Xx's or the like (as usual, thass muh story an' ah'm stickin' to it).

bmstrong - to answer your question, actual Natural HA3 tint is always a crapshoot, depends on type of Al, the alloying process for that particular batch, plus the usual factors like specific material density after forming (as well as consistency of same throughout the entire billet piece), etc. But let's hope so...

Bill - but you have to admit that this is indeed a catchy name, eh? When I get some free time I will have to cogitate on exactly what next thang would fit such a moniker...

MY

Enlightened

OK Mr. Bulky, my pot stirring stick is officially holstered for the duration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

Regards.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it's a testament to the esteem to which MRbulk is held by the number of people willing to pony up $300 plus dollars , sight unseen for a light of unknown parameter, know only that he is the designer. I think it's kind of amazing and I would be willing to bet that if new observers from other forums were to witness this, they would be amazed., Buying what? they would say!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Dang keithhr, you mean it's not April 1st yet? 'Cause this was all a big joke! Just to see who would buy! And then Dan and I will split the $1.72 interest from all the prepays and then refund everybody! Hoo Boy!
February Fool's! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

(WHUT in HECK am I doing here? I have WORK to do, dang it!)

zackhugh

Enlightened

Amusing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

He lives! He POSTS!!! Get yer fingers ready fer raw-tips-time buddy, as it is coming just a Little sooner than expected... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Turt

Enlightened

Just curious... could you give us a ball park figure with the lux readings on the stock reflector? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

vikingboy

Newly Enlightened

MY wrote: ...in another thread you implied that a UXOH bin may go into the lioncub

Is there a newbie guide to what a 'bin' is? Whats so special about UXOH?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Turt,

Please take this response with full understanding that everything about this whole run was a month or so premature:

Using the same components that will go into the 1-inch diameter LionCub head (as opposed to the 25% larger head of the LionHeart), the output Still drove the LM-631 meter to "OL" (or "OverLoad") on range setting 3 (zero decimal places), and the highest number this range is capable of measuring is 1,999 lux before it overloads. Thus I had to move the meter into the x10 range setting which is not as accurate (once removed from zero decimal places), and then the average readings were 1,780 lux.

Also these tests were done with "only" TYOJ-binned Luxeons as the new Luxeons to be used exclusively in the LionCub are still enroute.

In comparison with other current "hot" light mods, my Katokichi Ichishiki for example produced a reading of 660 lux.

vikingboy, think of the Bin Codes as being similar to the Octane Ratings of gasoline...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Oh please, Newb - yer killin' me!

But seriously, premature babies usually have to spend some time in ICU just to catch up to regular life, and this is the case with our lil' baby Cub due to its still-unhatched status (yet with prepaid reservations absolutely flyin' out the door in a feeding frenzy unmatched by anything anyone has experienced recently).

But in good time some of these tests will occur and results will then be made known, such as after I ship a few primo Luxeons to George for true controlled-lab testing.

BTW, I never did say they were UXOH Bin Codes. In fact I don't even particularly Like the XO tints from what I've seen so far, although admittedly I haven't seen enough of them to authoritatively say - however, there Are variations in every binned batch of Luxeons, and in fact there are occasionally Big-Time swings in each range - so we need to proceed carefully. Very carefully indeed...

zackhugh

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
He lives! He POSTS!!! Get yer fingers ready fer raw-tips-time buddy, as it is coming just a Little sooner than expected... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're *only* doing 200 of these and since they're roughly 2/3 to 3/4 the size of the LH they should only take 2/3 to 3/4 of the time to make them, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, as long as it's not like the VIP it should be OK. I think if you ask a certain HAT member he'll tell you how much work it was stripping and tinning wires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MY

Enlightened

I also like YA or YO tints. I really liked the "Y"s that you put in the lionheart.

Mr. Bulky, I also had an idea about how you could make the head smaller. Could you use one of those folding cup mechanisms where the tubes go into each other and you're left with just a small form factor. Or maybe like a colandar where the head expands outward. Maybe this thinking is too far out of the box?

Regards.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

MR Bulk said, "BTW, I never did say they were UXOH Bin Codes. In fact I don't even particularly Like the XO tints from what I've seen so far, although admittedly I haven't seen enough of them to authoritatively say----"

Notice that MR Bulk never said he disliked the U bin, just doesn't care for XO.

Bill

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Man, you guys are flushing me out of All my corners!

Okay then, let me ALSO say that IMHO the U-flux bin codes have been inconsistent, with some of them bright, but some of them not. Way too big an investment to have to possibly weed half of them out. They're too recent and it could be a crapshoot involving thousands of dollars.

But I do know for sure that many T's can be, and indeed have been, as bright or brighter than U's. If you had to put several thousand dollars of your own money on it, which would you choose?

Hopefully this helps narrow it down a bit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
If you had to put several thousand dollars of your own money on it, which would you choose?

Hopefully this helps narrow it down a bit... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll put mine on "Charlie-Binned". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Radagast

Enlightened

Is it too early to talk accessories? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

There will be only one - the Lh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened

Hmmmmmm.....

Lion Heart
Lion Cub
Lion Kittens, for the kiddies
Lioness, for the ladies
Lion King, for the manly man

With matching serial numbers

If you own them all does that mean you have......

The Lion Pride

Leadfoot

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Radagast said:
Is it too early to talk accessories? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as we don't let AI get involved. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif