New 4 D Cell Maglite ML 300

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
and how is it relevant to 2 cells in parallel? it is not, it only applies to series wiring.

Parallel may be safer than series, but it is not safe if the cells are not matched/balanced. If they are not, one cell is likely to over discharge (potentially dangerous with Li-Ions) without some sort of battery management.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Parallel may be safer than series, but it is not safe if the cells are not matched/balanced. If they are not, one cell is likely to over discharge (potentially dangerous with Li-Ions) without some sort of battery management.

as long as you do not charge 2 different capacity cells in parallel you are fine, discharging is ok, over discharging of parallel cells is not different than of 1 cell. you can not over discharge 1 cell in a parallel pack more than others, paralel pack self balances.

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
I got one from the maglite website. It's not really much brighter than the rechargeable LED maglite.

The beam pattern was horrible! Not carrying, so I returned it.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I suspect Maglite introduced the 4D ML 300 for the super duper long runtime on eco knowing their new MagCharger models were aimed at those wanting to own a Maglite that crossed that magic 1000 line. Perhaps it was aimed at milenial folks who believe earth will be dead in 9 years and on the day of the apocolyps they can still have enough light to illuminate their vegan burgers for a few more nights than a celphone will.

I scratch my head about a few things Maglite has done this year knowing at least they are bumping up runtimes instead of chasing lumen output. Same ML300 beam and output with uber runtimes is ok with me, just like the updates to ML25's and the classic LED models didn't suddenly go all super nova bright but drastically increased the runtime.

The jump in prices for some of their lights will likely mean we won't see them in WalMarts or HomeDepot who base their business around volume sales. This 4D ML300 for example.

Last edited:

USAMadeMagFan

Newly Enlightened
To me, run time is more important than the lumens. I'm considering the 6 D LED one now even though it's comically huge. 77hrs run time on high at near 700 lumens, versus 5.5hrs on the thousand lumen 4D version on high. Might be a good one to keep around just to save on D batteries. How long it holds the 700 lumen brightness I don't know. Have to go digging around forum posts now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It has been said the 750 lumens lights drop down to 75% after a few minutes and hold fast there. At least that was the 3D ML300 if I recall correct. That's still 550+ lumens.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is internal design of ml300lx, it does not allow for any serious heat dissipation, i suspect drop is a lot higher than 25% and it happens rather fast. cuz it does not take long to heat up xml at 1,5A
http://www.led-resource.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ML300LX_11.jpg

"....does not allow for any serious heat dissipation...."??

The LED module is mounted on a metal disc that is press fit to the body providing a good thermal path, allowing the aluminum parts to serve as a big heat sink.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
"....does not allow for any serious heat dissipation...."??

The LED module is mounted on a metal disc that is press fit to the body providing a good thermal path, allowing the aluminum parts to serve as a big heat sink.

no, not really, there is a thread here about smaller C version, but build the same way it was taken apart, it is not even close to what you describe.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, not really, there is a thread here about smaller C version, but build the same way it was taken apart, it is not even close to what you describe.

Take a look at Old Lumen's tear down vid:

….I don't know what thread you are referring to (link?), but all of the newer 3rd​ gen C cell models that I am aware of are pretty much the same design as the D cell 3rd​ gens.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at Old Lumen's tear down vid:

….I don't know what thread you are referring to (link?), but all of the newer 3rd​ gen C cell models that I am aware of are pretty much the same design as the D cell 3rd​ gens.

thanks for the video, but he does not take the pill itself apart as it is done in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428495-Maglite-ML-25LT-3-Cell, the heat really moves away only via edges of the mcpcb, there is nothing on the bottom of it to move heat away, looks like black plastic with a contact spring, that is why it has to drop down after 10 or so min. no matter how good you press fit the pill into the body (which is steel, a poor heat conductor) when the heatpath from the mcpcb are only it's edges, it is very inferior design compared to most modern lights where the star sits firmly either on aluminum\brass\copper heatsink, or on the body itself, as it is done in convoy c8, ZL, or skilhunt hxx, among many other lights.

mag's construction is sufficient to run at lower currents, and short time on high current, but it just can't run on full blast for long time. not that you can do it on alkaline cells anyway. i did not find in any reviews or teardowns, whether the drop is triggered by timer of thermal sensor.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the video, but he does not take the pill itself apart as it is done in this thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428495-Maglite-ML-25LT-3-Cell, the heat really moves away only via edges of the mcpcb, there is nothing on the bottom of it to move heat away, looks like black plastic with a contact spring, that is why it has to drop down after 10 or so min. no matter how good you press fit the pill into the body (which is steel, a poor heat conductor) when the heatpath from the mcpcb are only it's edges, it is very inferior design compared to most modern lights where the star sits firmly either on aluminum\brass\copper heatsink, or on the body itself, as it is done in convoy c8, ZL, or skilhunt hxx, among many other lights.

mag's construction is sufficient to run at lower currents, and short time on high current, but it just can't run on full blast for long time. not that you can do it on alkaline cells anyway. i did not find in any reviews or teardowns, whether the drop is triggered by timer of thermal sensor.

The ML25's heat sink works fine. I have tested them and heat sinks into the aluminum bodies without the LED getting hot at all until the batteries go dead. Though the batteries do get quite warm on the 2C version towards the end because the ML25s run flat out at full power without any step down with the driver drawing more and more Amps from the cells as they drop in Voltage. There is no need for the ML25's to drop down in output at all, though I kinda wish that they did to extend run time which is the reason most other Mags have a timed step down.

The heat sink on the ML300 works even better in my experience. The old 1st and 2nd​ gen D cell Mags are the ones with the questionable heat sink (no thermal path to the aluminum body) but Mag doesn't push the LEDs too hard on those and I have never heard of anyone burning one out by overheating.

michiganstud

Enlightened
what's wrong with the beam pattern? these are much improved from the previous generations.

Well....the beam was uneven - not dispersed evenly. It didn't have a real hot spot or throw.

Fast forward to the last couple weeks, I got an old magcharger - and put a terralux 1,000 lumen drop in into it. Bright as hell, great hotspot and throw, ABSOLUTELY better than the 4D LED of maglite.

They need to make better stuff, and more sensible for cops. A 3 cell light has to be developed in the 1,000 lumen range.

I do NOT like the new smaller maglite - you can't handle it as well and it doesn't tuck under the arm well.

mmalive12

Newly Enlightened
Anyone own this light to compare with 3 d version?

Also, hoe does this compare withe Terralux 1000 lumen drop in for 6 d cell?

Latest posts