New 4 D Cell Maglite ML 300

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've been playing with flashlights and other battery operated items since the 1960's. My first Johnny Lightning race track with a battery operated launcher got ruined by leaking C cells in about 1967 or so. I stopped counting the number of items lost to leaking alkalines decades ago. So I skoffed at a claim that modern Rayovacs don't leak. I bought some, tried them in a variety of items in adverse conditions and after a few months tossed any other brands I had laying around and installed Rayovacs.

To date none have leaked.

Meanwhile back to the 4D Maglite.....
You're lucky..... I've had Rayovacs leak in stuff and even sitting in the package not even close to expiration dates.
There is no brand that hasn't leaked on me other than some no name batteries that come with stuff.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do we get this light???? Why not make a three cell 1,000 lumen light!?

Probably because the light is marketed for use with alkaline batteries. Using four alkaline batteries allows for the use of a buck converter, which helps to reduce the draw on current-challenged alkalines. The extra cell also helps with the voltage sag resulting from the use of saggy alkaline batteries.

J-K

Newly Enlightened
I've just bought 6D ML300L to replace 3D ML300L thinking it was the new Mag King. Would it be possible to swap the head with new 4D and get same output and possibly extend the run time further with 2 additional cells?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just bought 6D ML300L to replace 3D ML300L thinking it was the new Mag King. Would it be possible to swap the head with new 4D and get same output and possibly extend the run time further with 2 additional cells?

Welcome to the forum J_K!

You would need to switch the driver boards which probably would not work since Mag generally sets these up for the specific number of cells/Voltage of the batteries so 6 cells running the 4 cell board would likely be too much. I wouldn't sweat the 300 lumen difference, it's not going to be all that noticeable unless you compare them side by side and you will get much more run time with the 6 cell version on high (rated for 71 hrs vs 5 hrs 45 min for the 4 cell).

J-K

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forum J_K!

You would need to switch the driver boards which probably would not work since Mag generally sets these up for the specific number of cells/Voltage of the batteries so 6 cells running the 4 cell board would likely be too much. I wouldn't sweat the 300 lumen difference, it's not going to be all that noticeable unless you compare them side by side and you will get much more run time with the 6 cell version on high (rated for 71 hrs vs 5 hrs 45 min for the 4 cell).

Managed to return the 6D, now where do I source the new 4D from in the UK?

maglite mike

Enlightened
Has anyone purchased the new 4D ML 300 anywhere other then the official maglite.com website (the prices on maglite.com seem really high compared to other sites ) ? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
There is nothing wrong with a 750 lumen light. If you get 1000 lumens for 20 seconds, well just consider it a 750 lumen light and remember the year 2005 when it introduced the LED variant that generated, what 60, lumens? Or something in that vicinity.

Except it wastes a lot of battery capacity.

michiganstud

Enlightened
So what boggles my mind is that they make a 4 cell light at 1,000 lumens, but leave the most popular 3 cell light at around 640 lumens?? Same with Streamlight...they beef up the lights that police officers hate, but don't do anything with the good old stand by's. The SL20x at 350 lumen? gimme a break.

So the question arises....(I can't carry more than three cells for work) ....has anyone tried or is there a way to put the LED components from the 4 cell light into the 3 cell light?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the question arises....(I can't carry more than three cells for work) ....has anyone tried or is there a way to put the LED components from the 4 cell light into the 3 cell light?
If alkaline is your only choice, possible to shorten a 4D cell light to accept 4 "C" cells. Since part of last cell will go inside the tail cap, total length will be almost same size of 3D.

michiganstud

Enlightened
If alkaline is your only choice, possible to shorten a 4D cell light to accept 4 "C" cells. Since part of last cell will go inside the tail cap, total length will be almost same size of 3D.

I'm not sure I understand? Can you give me more info?

It's the size of the light that matters, not necessarily the amount of cells. Can the internals of the 4D 1,000 lumen light be put into the 3 cell body?

USAMadeMagFan

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where to buy these, aside from the Maglite site? I can't find them anywhere.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can their storage accessory tube fit a 26650? A length of 2D or 3D would be nice in the hand, and carry a spare battery in the unit.

why not just make a holder that would run 2 26650 cells in parallel, have both cells work together, it will give you same runtime as with a spare but no need to remove and replace.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
why not just make a holder that would run 2 26650 cells in parallel, have both cells work together, it will give you same runtime as with a spare but no need to remove and replace.

It's always safer to use a single Li-Ion cell in a light that does not have low Voltage cut off/battery management.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always safer to use a single Li-Ion cell in a light that does not have low Voltage cut off/battery management.

and how is it relevant to 2 cells in parallel? it is not, it only applies to series wiring.

Last edited: