NEW Fenix E16 700 lumens (beamshots added)

blub

Enlightened
Re: NEW Fenix E16 700 Lumens

I just got mine, totally bummed, more orange than warm, turbo flickers then lasts maybe ten seconds if that and gets very hot then shuts down, this is not 700 lumens. Even after turning it off, turbo will not come back on. Read two other reviews and they did the same thing mine did. Using AW ICR 123. Tried all my batteries, same thing. Also, the magnet is very wimpy compared to the Olight. My Olight S1 is way nicer. Back it goes. You might want to hold off buying one. I've never had a problem with Fenix lights before, kinda odd they'd put their name on this.

Last edited:

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened

I just got mine, totally bummed, more orange than warm, turbo flickers then lasts maybe ten seconds if that and gets very hot then shuts down, this is not 700 lumens. Even after turning it off, turbo will not come back on. Read two other reviews and they did the same thing mine did. Using AW ICR 123. Tried all my batteries, same thing. My Olight S1 is way nicer. Back it goes. You might want to hold off buying one. I've never had a problem with Fenix lights before, kinda odd they'd put their name on this.

I agree. Definitely not 700 lumens, light flickers on turbo and shuts down within seconds! This is the first light by Fenix that I've been disappointed with. Shame.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I get one, I'd run it on primaries, since I prefer the output levels and runtimes on primaries compared to rechargeables.

Power Driver

Newly Enlightened

Have you contacted Fenix to let them know your issue?

I ended up buying some of those new Fenix "High Discharge" 16340 batteries (ARB-L16-700UP) which actually worked and my light no longer flickers on turbo. I wish somebody would do a review on these new batteries, seems to also work better in my Fenix CL09 lanterns as well. Slightly brighter.

Pila

Newly Enlightened

Docs of the Cree XP-L Hi V2 give us: Max Power 10 W and Max Light Output 1175 lm and let's gues that the E16 is driven near the max. For 4v that gives us about 2,5A. Just 8W would still be 2A @ 4v. For a 16340 that is at 3-4C. A general rule of thumb for LiIon cells is a maximum 2C for discharge. Where on your battery specs says: 3C discharge or better? Where it says 2A contiunous current or better? This level of discharge needs High Current capabable batery. Yours is not.

So, assign the blame to your low or inadequate quality battery. Not to the Fenix. Do not make a statements based on opinions based on lack of knowledge. And it keeps Turbo longer thant I can hold it that hot, with absolutelly no flickering! Of course, using a proper 2,5A capable battery. I use Fenix ARB-L16-700UP.

As for the maximum output: posters above do not understand what is Lumen (total output) and that it can not be measured or even estimated using eyes or walls. When I point e.g E16 and LD15R to the wall at 3lm, E16 looks very intense and LD15R dim. So, if you do not know what are you talking about, you can say LD15R is weaker than the E16. That is what most peoplke on the Internet do. No, both have total output of (e.g.) 3 lumens but due to different beam pattern, E16 has very concentrated hot spot has much higher intensity. It is all in the declaration: intensity/reach. You probably comment the intensity (Lux) compared to some other light not understanding the difference. Warmer colour of E16 does not help as it weakens intensity to our eyes.

Why do many silly people spend their time and money trying tu build useful light sphere to aproximate the Lumen measurement? And all of them, every single one of them, is using Fenix lamps trying to calibrate their measurements. Why do you think they are so naive to use Fenix for calibration and build devices if they can see it all? Actually, you could estimate output quite well using a wall and measuring areas and their intensities. I will not even comment here that one can not measure just any light without accounting for different wavelenghts and our eye different sensitivitiy to them. I tested E16 and it throws even a bit over the declaration, so that means its Lumen ratings are perfectly valid. Of course, using a proper 2,5A battery.

Fact remains that this is a wrong LED for such light. But E16 works perfectly fine with turbo running longer than comfortable to hold and with absolutelly no flickering (until the battery falls below 3,6V). Of course, using a proper 2,5A battery.

Jimmy Ray

Newly Enlightened
I bought this light and returned it. It got too hot to hold in about 30 seconds on high. I also had it turn on in my pocked and the client was sub par. I bought the Olight S1 mini instead. I like Fenix products but this one has design issues in my opinion.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
I bought this light and returned it. It got too hot to hold in about 30 seconds on high. I also had it turn on in my pocked and the client was sub par. I bought the Olight S1 mini instead. I like Fenix products but this one has design issues in my opinion.

you can't expect that one of the smallest 16340 lights will sustain 700lm without getting too hot...

with all the other modes it doesn't have any temperature problem

The S1 mini has better UI, although is easier to turn on in a pocket so you should carry it locked. Remember that the Olight is bigger and the tint is ugly

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
I bought the E16 for use at 3 or 30 lumens but it's nice to have more power temporarily if necessary. That's what turbo is for. If you need 700 lumens for a long time, you need a bigger light.

Jimmy Ray

Newly Enlightened
To be honest it was my first LED flashlight. I told the clerk what i needed, I was going to buy the TK16 but he recommended the E16. He made it seem like 700 lumen mode was a standard mode. I took it back and got the tk16 and ordered the olight s1 mini online. I have to say I like everything about the s1 mini better than the e16.

striegel

Newly Enlightened
Magnet is not strong, clip is great, lock mode is good, works well as a bike headligh

..., the magnet is very wimpy ...

Agreed. The magnet is not strong enough to hold this light onto a vertical surface unless it's perfectly dry and does not vibrate. It's just strong enough to hang pointing downward if the surface above is perfectly flat.

The clip is handy because it works in both directions. With a cap, I don't have to hold it in my teeth. :)
It also works well to cover the switch so it doesn't accidentally turn on in my pocket if I haven't locked it.

Lock mode is a good option and it clearly indicates when it's active by flashing twice when activated. It also reminds you if you forget by flashing twice and not turning on until it's unlocked (by a double press).

I'm using this as a handy headlight on my bicycle handlebars with an adapter. Its attention-getting flash mode is ideal during the day for being seen by traffic. In twilight or dark, it can run on high without overheating if I'm moving.