NEW Lowes Task Force 3W "CREE" 2C 150+ lumens (Part 3)

JHCANDLEPOWER

Newly Enlightened
Second the request.
I'm new to this forum. Went looking for a flashlight that had the best bang for the buck and came across this site with great reviews for this light. Picked up 6 (early stocking stuffers for Christmas). Lifetime warranty puts this well above the $100+ models. Just think, light goes out 3 years from now. Take it to Lowes and exchange for a 2XAAA that puts out 300+ lumens for free (technology, don't fail this prediction:naughty:)

For mine, I'd like to try the 18650 for the brighter output but probably with just the stock pill for now. I'm assuming the original pill should handle the 18650. Can someone kindly confirm my thoughts. It appears that a single 18650 has a higher voltage than the two primary C-cells in series (therefore the brighter reported output). However the mah is much lower than the two C-cells combined. Does this mean a MUCH lower runtime with a single 18650 or are there other considerations that would play a factor with this particular design? I need to balance runtime with brightness. I like the 18650 for the rechargeable feature so maybe I'll have two 18650 if two of them would equal a set of C-cells when considering runtime. Can't find a LSD C-cell rechargeables. The NiMh seem to have even lower combined mah but not sure how it might impact brightness.

Lastly, would the brighter Q5 have a shorter runtime or is it more efficient and therefore is brighter with comparable runtime?

Thank you everyone for the great information. Had to wade through 3 threads but worth it!!!! My wife is already rolling her eyes whenever I grab the flashlight just to walk to the car that's lit by the porch light:twothumbs

Best Regards!!!

Can someone post beamshots of the stock light and the Q5/18650 modded light? I'm curious as to the real difference. Thanks.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought mine last fall when they had them in the stores. Now, when I check they are back to the Luxeon version. I notice The Luxeon I LED itself costs more than the Cree Q4 at DX. Very odd considering the Luxeon I is nearly obsolete.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run mine with 18650. I have no idea what's up with runtime, but I'd expect at least 2 hours. The only full discharge was with a dodgy battery which hit the protection barrier after about an hour, I'm pretty sure I've isolated the dodgy battery though.

With C's, you get long runtime because it starts out really bright then drops off- about 700ma to the LED for a couple of hours then a big drop while still providing decent output for a long time. With the 18650 you get huge output (1A+ to the LED) for a couple of hours before the battery hits discharge protection. It regulates better than my TK11.

JHCANDLEPOWER

Newly Enlightened
Good day Jarl,
Thank you for the feedback. Glad to know it's safe to go that route. I've learned from the battery section that alkaline is horrible runtime due to poor performance in high drain environment (i.e. flashlight). So it looks like AA eneloops in a C-size adapter or 18650. I wonder in this comparison which will run better. 18650 vs NiMH LSD 2xAA (in C adapter) vs NiMH standard 2xC. Not liking the standard NiMH due to high discharge rate during storage.

Thanx again!

I run mine with 18650. I have no idea what's up with runtime, but I'd expect at least 2 hours. The only full discharge was with a dodgy battery which hit the protection barrier after about an hour, I'm pretty sure I've isolated the dodgy battery though.

With C's, you get long runtime because it starts out really bright then drops off- about 700ma to the LED for a couple of hours then a big drop while still providing decent output for a long time. With the 18650 you get huge output (1A+ to the LED) for a couple of hours before the battery hits discharge protection. It regulates better than my TK11.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........It regulates better than my TK11.

Speaking of the TK11,

Which throws better, the TF Cree or the TK11? I've been curious about this; I've thought about getting a TK11 at some point for a long throwing light, but I'd be a bit bummed if it didn't out throw the Task Force light I've already got. (Note that I'm talking about a stock TF here, with alkaline C batts).

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say, by eye, that my TK11 and TF 2C with Q5/18650 are very similar with the TF just edging it. Stock cree and 2 C's, and I'd say the TK11 will throw noticeably better.

If you're looking for a thrower, the TK11 isn't your light TBH. The spear gets ~25000 lux IIRC, the TK11 is no where near this.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does any of you guys experience any flickering, I get this sometimes:mecry: than it goes away:thinking:.

Flickering may be related to the reverse cone shape of the positive terminal spring. With some rechargeables, only the center tip is conductive surrounded by non conductive plastic. I though my light was bad when I first tried rechargeables. I wadded up a bit of aluminum foil and stuck it in the center of the spring and it works perfect now.

BamAlmighty

Newly Enlightened
My local Lowes just restocked with the older Luxeon version. I had to drive across town to the other Lowes to find the Cree version.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I actually just bought a Dorcy (Yes...a Dorcy!!:grin2:) light at Sears that not only out throws this light, but out shines it as well (better spill). It is $50.00, but is made a lot better in my opinion!! Now back to the channel we all have been watching......;)

Mike

I saw that 220 lumen Dorcy in Sears, and they also had the Coleman 530 lumen CREE XR-E spotlight, which I decided to buy. The Coleman looks 5 times as bright as my Task Force and has a lot more throw.

I do still love my Task Force because it is such a great light for its small size and price. It outperforms all of my big D cell flashlights. The one thing I don't like about it is that it sometimes flickers.:)

TDKKP

Enlightened
Originally Posted by BlueBeam22
I saw that 220 lumen Dorcy in Sears, and they also had the Coleman 530 lumen CREE XR-E spotlight, which I decided to buy. The Coleman looks 5 times as bright as my Task Force and has a lot more throw.

I do still love my Task Force because it is such a great light for its small size and price. It outperforms all of my big D cell flashlights. The one thing I don't like about it is that it sometimes flickers.:)

One solution for flickering is 3 post above your post: post #28.

3rd Degree

Newly Enlightened
Does any of you guys experience any flickering, I get this sometimes:mecry: than it goes away:thinking:.

Mine would flicker because the batteries were not tight ... just wrap a sheet of paper around the batteries and see if that helps

green814

Newly Enlightened
I know this is SOMEWHERE in "Part 1 or 2", but what is the "cheap AA adapter" that you guys have used? The one that is the sprinkler riser, I think.

Also, I will cross post this ? in the bike forum, but has anyone modded this light to run with a separate battery pack? If so, how did you end up cleanly attaching the wires? And what did you do about a switch?

T.Y.
Chris

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at them the other day and they looked like they had a different LED in them but it still says 60x. No idea what it was but it had a small area emitter like a rebel.

arrowshooter

Newly Enlightened
I picked one up last night and after looking through the old posts, I looked inside. The LED is on a white backing unlike the picture posted earlier which was black. Did they switch from the Cree?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is SOMEWHERE in "Part 1 or 2", but what is the "cheap AA adapter" that you guys have used? The one that is the sprinkler riser, I think.

Also, I will cross post this ? in the bike forum, but has anyone modded this light to run with a separate battery pack? If so, how did you end up cleanly attaching the wires? And what did you do about a switch?

T.Y.
Chris

You can use AAs by cutting a piece of PVC pipe (I forget the diameter) just short of the length of 2 AAs together. That's how I'm running one of Task Force flashlights.