NEW Lowes Task Force 3W "CREE" 2C 150+ lumens (Part 3)

martytoo

Newly Enlightened
Is the packaging enough to give the answer as to whether one is buying the new or old light? At my Lowe's I found an older style package on the rack.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Is the packaging enough to give the answer as to whether one is buying the new or old light? At my Lowe's I found an older style package on the rack.

I believe so. The way to tell the difference is that old Luxeon version says 30x brighter on the package, and the new CREE version says 60x brighter.:)

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
You can use AAs by cutting a piece of PVC pipe (I forget the diameter) just short of the length of 2 AAs together. That's how I'm running one of Task Force flashlights.

I had to bend the upper spring a bit with some needle nose pliers to get the spring to make contact more in the center to use AAs. I'm just using some cheapo c->aa plastic body converters.

SuperTorch

Enlightened
Re: Is it now made with the Rebel?

Well its true, my Lowes has a 60X versions but its not the same Cree as before looks like its a micro led in there. Doesn't Luxeon make a recent small led that real bright, I don't think its as bright as the Cree but I think Lowes went back to Luxeon or whom ever makes the flashlight did to Luxeons latest version. I don't know but I'm about to do a Cree hunt for this because the Cree version rocks, I guess we need to see how bright the new version is. But if its the Rebel then it isn't going to be that good I don't think, I don't really know,

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is it now made with the Rebel?

Well its true, my Lowes has a 60X versions but its not the same Cree as before looks like its a micro led in there. Doesn't Luxeon make a recent small led that real bright, I don't think its as bright as the Cree but I think Lowes went back to Luxeon or whom ever makes the flashlight did to Luxeons latest version. I don't know but I'm about to do a Cree hunt for this because the Cree version rocks, I guess we need to see how bright the new version is. But if its the Rebel then it isn't going to be that good I don't think, I don't really know,

Depends what rebel it is. Rebel 100's and Q5's are very similar to each other.

chewy78

Enlightened
I just picked one up and wow, it is a much nicer light than the big husky 4 watt. the guality is much better imho. and it puts out a decent amount of light for what I would use it for. The beam is much more use full and more easy to carry for medium to close range lighting needs at work.

Bobo The Bear

Newly Enlightened
I was at Lowe's today to pick up some other stuff and ended up picking this up also. Very nice light for the price ($25). It's a keeper.

Last edited:

Walden

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand why the switch is on the tail cap !:confused:

Do they really expect one to use this heavy light in the manner one holds a tactical light? A nice side clicky (like Maglite 3D) would have been great.

(BTW, the Maglite 3D's clicky is great! I don't know the technical term for such a switch, but I like the fact that depressing it turns the light on temporarily)

chewy78

Enlightened
My copy I got last week is the newer version I got at the Menominee falls location in Wisconsin. The Cree has a very nice warm tint and even beam with a nice golden corona around the hot spot. I wonder if its a rebel? It certainly don't look a q5 like whats in my Fenix l2d Q5. But looks very similar.

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_9022.jpg

That's a picture of 3 luxeon rebels mounted on a single board.... yours will have 1, not 3.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased my membership to the 'task force club'. I'm totally impressed. Light was on sale for $25, had a $10 coupon, brought the price to just over $16 with tax. Can't beat it! The throw is incredible, almost as good as my 3D MagLED. It's just hard to best a mag in a throw-off. Anyway, I really like the sturdy feel and the fact that everything comes apart so easily. You can take the lens off and turn it into a great flood light! highly recommended.

jblackwood

Enlightened
If you think it's hard to beat a mag in a throw-off, pick up a Husky 2D at home depot. It looks like a lightsaber. Barring that, I'm surprised your Mag LED out throws this light. Are you sure you got the right one? It should have said 60x on the package.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
If you think it's hard to beat a mag in a throw-off, pick up a Husky 2D at home depot. It looks like a lightsaber. Barring that, I'm surprised your Mag LED out throws this light. Are you sure you got the right one? It should have said 60x on the package.

Yes, I got the right one. It definitely has a cree in it. I can get the hotspot much smaller on the mag. It has such a deep and efficient reflector. I'm sure the Taskforce is brighter, but since the hotspot is bigger than the Mag, it doesn't throw quite as far. It was a fairly unscientific test. I live in the city so I hung out my 6th floor window and pointed both at a warehouse about a block away. As best as I could tell, the Mags hotspot was brighter and more focused. Kind of tough being a flashlight fanatic while living downtown.

JermsMalibu

Newly Enlightened
holm0299 - I was kind of dissapointed in the throw of my TF 2C as well until I read on here about taking off the washer that sits on the LED. I took that off and my hotspot got much smaller since the LED sits deeper into the optic, and it throws REALLY well now. So if you haven't tried that....do it. I like it a lot better now and that little washer will NEVER go back on there.

Grog

Enlightened
I won't buy a flashlight that takes C batteries. C batteries just don't go with anything.

Put AAs in it then :laughing:

But really, I lived in a hurricane area from 91-99 and one thing I noticed is that C batteries were around after the Ds have sold out. Hopefully people would have enough gear stocked up ahead of time but we all know that's not how things really are.

holm0299

Newly Enlightened
holm0299 - I was kind of dissapointed in the throw of my TF 2C as well until I read on here about taking off the washer that sits on the LED. I took that off and my hotspot got much smaller since the LED sits deeper into the optic, and it throws REALLY well now. So if you haven't tried that....do it. I like it a lot better now and that little washer will NEVER go back on there.

can you show me where that is? I can't seem to find the description (link). I would be interested in trying that, as long as it's not too difficult.

Latest posts