New Luxeon: Rebel

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
monkeyboy said:
You could fit 4 of these into the same footprint as the XR-e

I'm sure a reflector or optic could be designed to collimate this.

It would be very hard to collimate well. And the better it is collimated, the worse a center donut or dark cross in the beam would be.

Defocusing it enough to hide the emitter layout induced artifacts could be done, but then you would have a flood beam.

SemiMan

Banned
It is not so much the size of the die that is important as it is the "effective" size of the emission source. I will have to ask our optics guy if he knows the values for the standard Luxeon. I think it is close to 2mm * 2mm (put a ruler up against the package and that is the size you will measure, not 1mm * 1mm). I think for the CREE XRE it is bigger. Using my precision measuring tool (a ruler with mm markings), the Rebel die measures smaller, close to 1.5mm. It may just be that the die is much easier to see in the Rebel package though.

Semiman

COMMANDR

Enlightened
monkeyboy said:
You could fit 4 of these into the same footprint as the XR-e

dieil9.jpg

I'm sure a reflector or optic could be designed to collimate this.

Heat may be a problem if you pack them that tight, heat sinking them will be a challenge.

Gary

SemiMan

Banned
Well we could look at this another way, put one right in the optical center and three spaced around it with a multi-mode switch. The center LED could be driven hard for a bright tight beam, and the three others could be used to provide a powerful flood capability. They are small enough you could get really creative with the packaging.

I foresee lots of burnt fingers trying to figure out how to mount and solder these properly. Our Future sales reps says the lower brightness bins will be cheap so that will be good for test prototyping as opposed to using your good ones.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, you probably would be better off separating the emitters like in the Elektrolumens QSP for collimation and cooling purposes. I just thought it would make an interesting optical design project. I guess a large reflector would do the trick but it must be possible to design something in a smaller package?

On the otherhand this would make a good layout for a Surefire-L4-style floodlight

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi core is the future in technology.
If its CPUs, GPUs, high speed RAM, and now very possibly LEDs.

Lumileds use of ceramics and the electrically isolated thermal pad is most interesting.

pilou

Enlightened
One nice thing is the availability of various color temperatures for these LEDs.

pilou

Enlightened
Just a thought: could these show up in the new Inova T1 that is alleged to be a pocket rocket?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
pilou, I did a thread on that just last night.

Lumileds and Inova

Daekar

Enlightened
I guess this means I should hold off on buying any more lights til we find out release info and the incredible minds here figure out new and exciting ways to use more than one of them at a time. I'm thinking that 3-led side-emitter is looking better all the time...

Of course, now everything else is obsolete... That means new single-led lights too... :)

EngineeringGuy

Newly Enlightened
The two best things about these is that the 80lm/w bin are actually as efficient as Cree P4 bin at higher drive currents due to the "anti-droop" technology (what marketing idiot came up with that name), and that they work phenomenally well with reflectors. ... my 0.02.

Contrary to what a lot of other people have been saying in previous threads, in my opinion, these rebels Are about the BEST form factor for a flashlight. The small size of the dome over the die allows you to make a truly tiny reflector which actually creates a usable beam. I am imagining an Arc AA form factor which is as bright as, and has a beam as nice as an HDS EDC 60?

The one drawback to these emitters is that they are not the most freindly package for do-it-yourself modders. Reflow soldering isn't exactly complicated, but it will be a deterrent for many people.

Last edited:

chris_m

Enlightened
Maybe if you want either to get a really tight beam, or have a really small form factor light the size of the dome and the ability to have a smaller reflector is interesting. I'd suggest that for any other application (which is the majority) it's not actually that useful.

Meanwhile I'm not convinced there is any evidence of "anti-droop" technology in the data-sheet. Looking at the graph on page 16 of http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS56.pdf it seems you only get 2.1 times the lumens at 1000mA compared to 350mA, which is no better than an XR-E, and worse than a SSC P4. Then again, that also contradicts the info earlier in the datasheet, as the figure for 700mA is no better than 1.65 times (again not significantly better than an XR-E), which would imply ~130lm for the 80lm nominal part, not the 145lm they claim. I'm not sure whether this discrepancy is down to different testing regimes, bearing in mind that Lumileds are reported to test using extremely short pulses, which is bound to overrate the higher current performance.

Also given that P4 bin XR-Es have been tested at 145lm at 700mA (Q2 bin now available), and SSC P4 at 155lm, that 145lm for the best bin is nothing special.

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
EngineeringGuy said:
The two best things about these is that the 80lm/w bin are actually as efficient as Cree P4 bin at higher drive currents due to the "anti-droop" technology (what marketing idiot came up with that name), and that they work phenomenally well with reflectors. ... my 0.02.

I tried completely enclosing an LED die in aluminum once.

It dissipated heat very well, but had other problems.

:whistle:

Toshi

Lexus

Enlightened
Those neutral white 4100 K LEDs look interesting. I wonder if they render colors better than the 6500 K ones. Btw they have the same efficiency as the cool white LEDs. :grin2:

Calina

Enlightened
Gen X LEDs will likely be more interesting for us though I would be curious to see the pattern emitted by two, back to back or three mounted on a triangular base (heat dispersion problems?). Their tiny size will make them a PITN (pain in the neck) to work with.

The cool white will likely be very blue.
ooo.gif

Notable : the neutral white efficiency is as good as the cool white ones.

Vf is low, 2.55 V minimum, that is something new. I envision an exciting new generation of button cells fashlights. Can you picture new Photon at 20 lm.