New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: ML25IT

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: New Mag C-cell incandescent twisties: M25IT

Yessssssss!!!
Crossing fingers...

Never did get a reply on the pm I sent.
I included the thread a few posts incase they send you an assembly. He describes how to get the pressed in reflector out.
But Streamlight is tight lipped about everything... like the cheaters aint figured out how to copy them. But I suppose they figure "we aint gonna make it easy for 'em"..

Glad you understood the 10psi reference.
Many a motor gives out past 6 or so psi boost.
(My ML's are gentle old saab type boosted... oh, maybe 1.5 psi. lol)

mjgsxr

Enlightened

1.5 psi !!!!!!!!! Thinking I could blow harder than that LOL, but that's going to give a nice smooth power delivery and from what I have heard saab were leaders in turbo tech back in the day. You got a love the classics. Were I am from diesel the fuel of choice running 15psi standard from factory.

Back to the ML25IT. If anyone is looking a good 26650 cell for the 3 cell model that actually will fit I can recommend two A123 2500mah lifep04 battery. Slides in to the torch like a glove, so well it slides slowly as the air escapes (great no battery rattle).

z83IFf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Battery measures 26mm x 65.3mm, so if other manufactures actually made there 26650 to spec they would all fit. Not so lucky, tried efest, kingkong and mnke 26650 batterys all to big. I don't want to bore out the light and I am sure most people won't either so its looking like these A123 or any 18650. The case for 18650 is strong as you can find them with 3500mah now and this light won't be drawing more than an amp with mag bi pin bulbs.

The only thinking going for these A123 lifep04 is the flat discharge voltage. They will give a flat 3.2v per cell under 1 amp load to end of discharge were voltage falls of a cliff. Kind of like having a regulated light so I would expect very little dimming till the end. Have not tested yet as these 2 a123 cells are part of a set of 6 I use in a 6d mag 64458. Might pick 2 more up after reflector prob is sorted.

See battery test link

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/A123 26650 2500mAh (Green) UK.html

mjgsxr

Enlightened

GREAT NEWS. Reflector has been shipped with shipping notice.:D
BAD NEWS ETA April 29. :(
Time to hit the sack :sleepy: and dream.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Where can we source the featured batteries?
I was scouring the internet for lifepo 18650's but everything was mega ouput vapor types and what you show seems to be exactly what the 3 cell light could use while plastics are still inside the head.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

:huh:STILL AWAKE. Only joking.

If you click on the link for battery test you will see these can do 30amps no problem and would be suited for vapours. Yes these batteries are over kill but bulb won't care would be great for a 5 or 6 cell bi pin bulb having 6.6 volts normally. Sourced mine through ebay a while back. What I really like is how good a fit they are and a flat voltage curve to pot.

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Parts have arrived. Going to be some modding tonight when I get home from work :tinfoil:. First impressions just from looking at reflector, its not going to be as good a thower as original mag reflector. Its a bit shorter and narrower but I think I can make it work.

Or94MR.jpg

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Made a tool to remove reflector from bezel. Took longer than expected but doesn't it always. Will finish on Saturday and post pics.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like Stinger reflector assembly. It comes with plastic lens and reflector is pressed into bezel.
Have you consider about TL-3 reflector assembly? Which comes with glass lens and reflector is screwed into bezel.

I have used TL-3 reflector assembly
here .

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Looks like Stinger reflector assembly. It comes with plastic lens and reflector is pressed into bezel.
Have you consider about TL-3 reflector assembly? Which comes with glass lens and reflector is screwed into bezel.

I have used TL-3 reflector assembly
here .

Is the reflector 40mm wide like the Stinger?

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Thanks for the advice fivemega. Looked online, TL-3 head has an outside diameter of 40.09mm not sure about reflector height. Is it alot deeper than a Stinger reflector? Can't find anyone selling spare reflectors for the TL3.

I have one of your custom TL-3 ordered so will check it out when it arrives.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the reflector 40mm wide like the Stinger?
Diameter of Stinger bezel and TL-3 bezel are same but with different knurling.

Thanks for the advice fivemega. Looked online, TL-3 head has an outside diameter of 40.09mm not sure about reflector height. Is it alot deeper than a Stinger reflector? Can't find anyone selling spare reflectors for the TL3.
TL-3 bezel is about 18.5mm deep but Stinger bezel is about 15.30mm deep. Both reflectors have almost same height but outside thread diameter of Stinger is larger than TL-3, so gap between bezel and reflector on TL-3 is larger than Stinger. You can not install one reflector in other bezel.
TL-3 reflector assembly comes with bezel and lens similar to pictured Stinger reflector assembly. They won't sell reflector alone.
Brightguy.com may have them in stock.

mjgsxr

Enlightened

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ALOT OF PICS COMING UP.

I completed the Stinger reflector mod. It does require a lot of fiddley work to make it fit. To do mod you will need a few tools.
* Sandpaper ( ALOT )
* Files
* Vice
* Drill press
* Press
* Tool to remove reflector from stinger bezel
* Most importantly ALOT OF PATIENCE

This is Version 2 which requires a bit more work but will mean you can still use mag reflector again. Will show version 1 at end.

Press reflector and lens out of stinger bezel with a suitable sized piece of tube, washer and socket.

vGMiD9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Secure bezel to a block of wood with a washer on the inside. It will catch on the lip on inside of lens.

Kh6NSH.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

File away bezel to bottom part that holds the reflector in. I used a sanding disc in a grinder to speed things up a bit

eIXbXx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sand to a flat finish with P600 sandpaper

52Gb4O.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next Step is the hardest. You need to Machine out side of bezel to fit down in to mag head. You will need to leave a 3mm deep lip a top, this is the depth of mag lens and reflector lip. This is what mag bezel will screw up against.

ZrR9bh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sand away bottom of reflector to allow room for reflector to focus on bulb

pdIT77.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I have replaced plastic lens with a nice AR coated glass lens. Couldn't get correct size. Taped up both sides of lens and sanded down till perfect fit. I pulled lens and rotated a same time. Works great and keeps it round. Started with P120 and finished with P600. Make sure to spend plenty of time cleaning it for once you press head back together you can't clean inside of it again.

ypOxhV.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Put lens in bezel and press reflector back together. This is the finished unit.

5yE4XE.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You will need to remove about 3mm of inside head threads. This is to allow head to screw down far enough to focus bulb. If only reflector had been 3mm longer.

WE3B9I.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's it completed. With this version you can switch between mag reflector and stinger if you want. For now I am not twisting head to turn of and on. I like to keep bulb focused and turn tail cap to turn on. If you screw cap of a turn it will work like a momentary switch. Will look into making a tail cap switch.

LIs8Ir.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IAQ7Aj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beam is not completely round. A bit oval. Still throws well. Put a few sets of batteries threw it with a 6d bulb and so far its working great. In the 3c body might try a 12v bulb if I can find a suitable one. That should relay test it out.

71Xx6U.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is ver 1. As you can see I sanded down Mag head bezel threads to allow more room for stinger bezel. This means you can't use mag reflector again but means a lot less work is needed to make bezel fit mag head. I like ver 2 better as it leaves mag head nearly as standard.

gQMUoG.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not an overly expensive mod especially if you use the stinger plastic lens. I tested the plastic lens and it holds up to the heat of a 6d bulb on 2 imr 26500 ok. I went glass as I might try a better bulb Later on. Have a TL-3 bulb coming and I am hope full of a better beam pattern from it over a 6d bulb. Funny thing is a put a 5d bulb in and it give a great pure white round beam. Don't know why 6d bulb should be a different beam shape ?

bykfixer

Flashaholic

THANKS!!!!

So does the Mag bezel get used when completed?

I found a TL3 assembly at Streamlight parts .com. as well as Stinger stuff...decisions decisions. lol.
Still no 40.05 glass at flashlight lens. I may ask him to custom make me a couple.

I think you'll like the TL-3 bulb better.

Iirc I tried the 6 cell bulb and quickly swapped it for the 5 cell in my setup. I like any light in darkness but the 6 cell bulb is fugly in these.
Yeah, the 5 cell is much brighter and whiter, but had a tird of a beam vs the TL3 bulb.

Last edited:

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Yes mag bezel is used . All you need to do is unscrew mag bezel, remove mag reflector and lens. Drop the stinger assembly in head and refit mag bezel which secures it in place same as the original reflector.

mjgsxr

Enlightened

If you are thinking of ordering lens for stinger mod you need
34.1 mm. I ordered 35mm and sanded to fit. Lens size is reduced because stinger bezel reflector assembly after mod fits inside original mag bezel as pictured.

IYbkxf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If the TL-3 bulb gives a better beam shape when tested I might offer to carry out this mod for anyone who feels that it may be to difficult or does not have the tools to do so. That is if I can speed up the process as ver 2 took 2 to 3 hours.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Im sure things vary, but I'd be surprised if the TL3 beam isn't to your liking...but I'm speaking in terms of using a Mag reflector.
Point being the TL bulb sits a bit deeper in the reflector at the tip. The Mag bulb tips are closer to the lens in the Mag reflector.

mjgsxr

Enlightened

TL-3 bulbs came in and your right bykfixer I do like them. They give a better beam shape, I would say about equal to a mag 5 cell bulb but alot more light. I am glad I sanded the bottom of the reflector when I built it, TL-3 bulb sits much lower and you need the extra room to focus the beam.

Finished a tail cap switch mod. I used a mcclicky switch and a overready brass adaptor and it work out ok. Just need to drill a 14mm hole for the rubber switch cover and thread the inside of the tail cap to suit the switch.

B3M7fk.jpg

MkKylr.jpg

u1Ndtp.jpg

You can see on this last pic how small the TL-3 bulb is compared to a early pic of a 6d mag bulb. The mag bulb fills the reflector hole were as the TL-3 bulb has plenty of room.

Took some tail cap measurements on full charge with 2 26500 IMR batterys. Watts based on bulb getting 8 volts.

TL-3 1.3 amps 10.4 watt
MAG 6d 0.9 amps 7.2 watt

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Mucho AWESOME-ness!!!!

Is that McSpring included in the switch kit?

How's the spot vs the original reflector set up? That ever-so-slight ripple of the Stinger reflector looks about right to clean up a bit of Mag Ugly-ness when you widen out the spot to add some extra spill.

mjgsxr

Enlightened

Yes spring comes with the switch. I cut the last coil of spring to shorten it a bit . Added a bit of solder for a bigger contact as its a small spring.

Hot spot on new reflector is bigger The stinger reflector does clean the beam up but once you widen out the beam you get the usual hole in the middle of beam. To be honest once I get the best beam focus I leave it there thats why I think a rear switch is the way to go even if you keep rest of the light standard.

Will try and get some good beam shots at the weekend as my phone's not up to the job.