New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2 (Part 2)

dilbert

Enlightened
I have two MD2s now, one in black and one in type III natural HA, and two of the high-low bezel switches.

The finish on the black one (from the first run) is amazing and flawless, but the rubber washer is about twice as thick as the one that came on my HA III one last week. Because of the thicker washer, or perhaps a slight design change, when I lock out the black one the end of the o-ring is exposed.

The finish on the HA III one is a little splotchy and chipped off in a couple of places around the front of the bezel, but since it has the thin washer, the o-ring is completely covered when it is locked out.

The two stage switch is perfect. I have a M60W in both MD2s and low level is great for general use while full power is only a slight twist away.

Right now the MD2 HA III is my go-to light and will come along whenever I head out into the dark. It fits perfect in my nite-ize stretch holster. It will also be my primary light for camping or fishing trips. The black MD3 lives in my nightstand ready for use. Both my Surefire 6P and C2 both got bumped into the storage container for now.

BlakesHitch

Newly Enlightened
I just finished a runtime test on the M60WF in a MD2 with the 2-stage bezel switch set on LOW. The battery is an AW protected 18650 (2200 mah). I checked the battery all along using a ZTS tester which indicates the charge at intervals of 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 100%. The light output seemed to be constant throughout the test, which I ended when the battery first showed 10% charge. The final voltage without a load was 3.66V.

Results: 103 hours runtime!

charge @ 33hr = 80%
charge @ 52hr = 60%
charge @ 80hr = 40%
charge @ 96hr = 20%
charge @ 103hr = 10%

I could not be happier with the results. A smooth, warm beam and exceptional runtime of this light makes it a real favorite.

BlakesHitch

Newly Enlightened
That's right. One cell, a 4.2v 18650 ran the M60WF for 103 hours with Gene's new 2-stage (resistor) switch set on LOW.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only thing that is missing for me is a hole for a lanyard (I dont care about a clip).

I'm thinking of drilling a lanyard hole (or two) in the thinner material that surrounds the clicky portion - like how surefire has the holes on the Z68 tail. Looks like it should be easy enough to do...

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened
Hi:

I really like the low mode using the High/Low Bezel Switch for MD2 with a M60WF. It is noticeably lower than the lowest setting on a Fenix SSLD01.

Definitely going to use MD2 more now for really close quarter stuff (searching for stuff under desks and dark closets). The extended runtime on low mode as determined by the previous CPF'ers makes the MD2 even sweeter.

Malkoff products and service to infinity and beyond! :thumbsup:

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
The two stage switch is perfect. I have a M60W in both MD2s and low level is great for general use while full power is only a slight twist away.

Right now the MD2 HA III is my go-to light and will come along whenever I head out into the dark. It fits perfect in my nite-ize stretch holster. It will also be my primary light for camping or fishing trips.

+1

I got the Nite-ize stretch last week, and it works great with the MD2, especially being able to swivel the holster to aim the light forward where you are walking, so you can still use both hands. I've needed to use it that way twice this week already.

Still looking for an easily removed white cap that will fit as a diffuser. Please let me know if you find something.

I have the M60 and AW's 18650, and am very happy with the light output the low gives. Seems just about perfect for dark-adapted eyes for navigating the house at night, and for not waking people up when camping. And the 103 hour run time is just nuts.

I second the "Malkoff products and service to infinity and beyond!" Again, what a great light this is. Thanks, Gene.:thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Has anyone noticed the 45 second afterglow you get from turning it off on low?

With my M30WF on low I can switch it off and quickly look into the optic and watch the light fade out as the resistor drains of all residual energy.
It's pretty cool!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone noticed the 45 second afterglow you get from turning it off on low?

With my M30WF on low I can switch it off and quickly look into the optic and watch the light fade out as the resistor drains of all residual energy.
It's pretty cool!

Resistors have a total of 0 residual energy, so this is interesting. I'll have to check mine tonight. A capacitor can have residual energy, but 45sec glow seems like way too long for that given the size of the drop-in. Sounds like a switch issue, or some other drain issue. My first though is that this would be a sign of some issue.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Resistors have 0 residual energy but they slow down the discharge of any capacitor by the additional R making the longer RC time constant that wasn't there before. There has to be some capacitance in the driver module circuitry so seeing this slower discharge and bleed off in the form of the dimming down more slowly indicates an RC time constant which seems perfectly normal to me.

Thats what increasing R from zero to some real value does, increase the RC time constant.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Resistors have 0 residual energy but they slow down the discharge of any capacitor by the additional R making the longer RC time constant that wasn't there before. There has to be some capacitance in the driver module circuitry so seeing this slower discharge and bleed off in the form of the dimming down more slowly indicates an RC time constant which seems perfectly normal to me.

Thats what increasing R from zero to some real value does, increase the RC time constant.

However the resistor is in series with the supply and if the tail switch is open there is no circuit, and there is no path for any charge to bleed off through the resistor unless there is an undesirable issue with the switch or circuit. It would also take a lot more capacitance by a substancial amount to be able to store enough energy to light the lamp for 45 seconds, even if the discharge was limited.

It could be the light has an issue with or without the two level switch, that would make more sense.

As a side note I tested my light, and there is no after glow.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
However the resistor is in series with the supply and if the tail switch is open there is no circuit, and there is no path for any charge to bleed off through the resistor unless there is an undesirable issue with the switch or circuit. It would also take a lot more capacitance by a substancial amount to be able to store enough energy to light the lamp for 45 seconds, even if the discharge was limited.

It could be the light has an issue with or without the two level switch, that would make more sense.

As a side note I tested my light, and there is no after glow.

Not necessarily true at all. I have not paid any attention to this new low mode resistor ring, it looks like it can only be between the return side of the module and the case which is common ground. So I am not sure exactly where it is in the circuit but I know this. If the resistor is in series with the return side of the supply which is case ground of the flashlight host, then it could still be changing the way the driver circuit has to bleed off and discharge that it had before. In other words we are seeing the light slowing dim that wasn't there before indicating a slower discharge path. The driver circuit has to go to a ground for control, not just through the LED itself. The resistor could be slowing down that discharge path regardless of opening the switch.

The easy way to prove this is to take this device out and if the slow dimming effect of light is gone, and then returning the device makes it have this slow dimming phenomenon again, then there is clearly a change in the discharge path to ground that the switch cannot interrupt. And again if this is true it would not be a defect or an "issue" of not functioning correctly, it would be normal for where it is in the circuit. It just might not be desirable.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It would be good if Gene would chime in here and tell us exactly how the resistor ring works. Obvious how the McGizmo resistor setup works, so am wondering if Gene's functions differently, not in design, of course, but end result wise.

Bill

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always send him an email; I'm sure he would answer all of your questions. He may not be aware of this thread.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I'm sure Gene is aware of this thread, he is probably just very busy and will chime in soon.

The resistor/pin pretty much works the only way it can, there are not really any options here. The tail switch controls the flow from the negative end of the battery to the body, the body serves as a conductor that notmally connects with the retaining ring which connects to the negative terminal/casing of the drop-in. However with the two way switch, before the top of the body makes contact with the retaining ring it will make contact with the pin which connects to the retaining ring through the resistor limiting the current.

In any matter once the tail switch is open the circuit is opened and there is no flow of current from the battery (or should be).

Is there enough energy left anywhere in the dropin to power the led even with a glow for 45sec., highly unlikely if there was I can't see the retaining ring with or without the resistor making any difference.

In the end I'm just saying an after glow is most-likely (with avery high probability) a sign of some other real issue.

Now Gene can chime in.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure he is aware of the original thread, but he might not have visited it since it split off to form this one, and he might be unaware of your specific questions.

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
Not getting the afterglow, but I am seeing spots and stars from looking at the LED when turning the light off on low. It flashed on high for a second.

Gene43

Enlightened
The M30 and M30 variants have a 4 to 5 second afterglow. The M60 and variants don't. It's just a byproduct of the driver design.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gosh, Gene . . . .

You know we'll always be glad to make room for ya' !

;)

_

Latest posts