New Malkoff Flashlight: MD2 (Part 2)

Mikellen

Enlightened
Thank you MrGman for the very thorough answers. I did not expect such a thoughful and well laid out reply. It was very much appreciated.

However I do have an additional question from the information that was provided.

You mentioned that the Malkoff MD2 does not have a removeable tail cap section. So if ever there is a mechanical malfunction with the clicky switch how could the switch be repaired? Would the whole body need to be sent back to Malkoff Devices for repair or replacement?

Thanks for being patient with me. Hopefully that will be my last question.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I think I understand now from your reply. The tail cap is not removeable but the switch is. Correct?

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If ever the clicky switch goes bad in a Malkoff and thats a big IF, its under Warranty, Gene Malkoff will take care of it. However, just so you know. The switch itself screws out. Its not part of a separate tailcap piece that you normally unscrew to take the batteries off. On the MD2 you simply unscrew the entire head. The module stays tight inside the head due to the ring that secures it, and you can get a ring that is a 2 stage switch to have a low mode as well as the full power high mode. You need to look at the options more on the Malkoff website, its all there.

Xfinity

Newly Enlightened
My first post here as I just wanted to say thanks for the help in choosing a new work flashlight. I work as a cop in Stockholm, Sweden.

Before I bought the MD2 (#655) with the M60, I've used an unmodified SF 6P and Streamlight Scorpion. And needless to say, the difference is huge ;).

Got the light yesterday and I field tested it right away with excellent results. During the night we got a call of two suspects trying to take an motorcycle. Once getting there we confronted the suspects, and using the MD2 I disoriented one of them. Simple and effective with minimal use of force (no permanently harm occurred on the suspects eyes of course).

The only drawback I see on the MD2 is the power switch, I would have preferred a twisty but I love the MD2 and I rate this compact flashlight 9 out of 10.

Once again, thanks CPF and especially to Cathy and Gene Malkoff! :twothumbs

Best regards,
Daniel

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Xfinity, congratulations on that first post, and on your MD2 selection. I like mine as well, and yes, a twisty body would be excellent.

Bill

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
+10

I too would like a twistie 18650 MD2 body. Plus, wouldn't we all benefit from the more compact size if this happened.:thinking:

My GF uses the M30 in a Keychain twistie VME combo and the simplicity of it is what she likes the best.

bigC

brunt_sp

Enlightened
Good news about a twisty version in an email from Gene dated 6th July, "Also please note that I will soon be adding 1 Cr123, 2 CR123, and 2 AA twisties in the near future when the M31 is released. It will probably be about 2-3 weeks". :thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I too would like a twistie 18650 MD2 body. Plus, wouldn't we all benefit from the more compact size if this happened.:thinking:
bigC

Yes, and the benefits of reduced resistance, with no tail switch. Don't think there will be a twisty MD2. I did remove the Kroll switch and screwed in a incan minimag tailcap, and my bounce with lightmeter showed higher output using the M30. You still have a small spring, but no other switch components. Remove the spring and place a piece of copper in the spring opening in the tailcap would give a more direct contact.

Bill