New Malkoff Twisty

camaro09

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the small opening of the head will effect the beam of some of the other P60 drop-ins that are on the market here? The ones that use reflectors and not optics.

camaro09

Enlightened
Can I ask why? If the M60 drop-Ins are a direct replacement for SF lights, then why would a P60 drop-in work for somethine that fits M60 drop-ins? Maybe it only makes sense in my mind.

jahxman

Enlightened
Can I ask why? If the M60 drop-Ins are a direct replacement for SF lights, then why would a P60 drop-in work for somethine that fits M60 drop-ins? Maybe it only makes sense in my mind.

It partly has something to do with the negative contact point; on the Malkoff drop-in this contact is made between the brass body of the drop-in and the top of the battery tube; on other drop-ins usually it is necessary to use a spring to make this contact.

Also, inside the VME head itself, a normal P60 drop-in would not fit all the way in because the reflector is too wide to fit inside completely, and the bottom of the drop-in will therefore not be able to make contact with the battery tube; even if you use a spring most springs are too wide to fit into the bottom of the VME head. Possibly you could find or fashion one small enough.

Beyond the fit issues, which could possibly be overcome by cutting down the reflector and fashioning a spring that fits; the VME head has no lens, so you would need to provide a lens to protect the emitter of whatever drop-in was modified to fit.

As the Malkoff drop-in is already top-notch, with available choices for most needs, it is hard to see how someone would be so motivated to get a different P60 drop-in into a VME head.

Last edited:

camaro09

Enlightened
Alright I understand now. I guess all I'm saying is there is a few other top notch options for P60 type dropins. There are UV dropins and available P7 and MC-E that might work. I love Genes work, I just thought if It was more versitale it would be an even better little light.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
This is a really nice host. What is the brightest drop-in module available with a warm tint? Run-time is not really a concern..that's what my Arc AAA is for.

Viper715

Enlightened
In my VME head Nailbenders drop-ins fit as well as Deree Light and DX drop ins. The output is diminished by the smaller opening. The hotspot is less bright as well as the side spill. I would estimate a drop in output of 20%-40% it is fairly noticeable drop. In a 6P my Nailbender R2 driven at nearly 2Amps outperforms my M60 by a large margin but in the VME the M60 out performs it. Also note that although the above mentioned P60 style drop-ins do fit the actual Surefire P60's will not. Also the above drop-ins do not fit as well as the M60 they are a touch longer. Also you need to use a modified spring to complete the connection. A standard length outer spring makes the module to long. About 2 1/2 loops of the spring is what made mine fit and work the best. All this being said you still need a 3rd party lens when using a P60 style and that also makes it a little longer and I prefer the M60 in the VME for the above reasons. Just my 2 lumens.

camaro09

Enlightened
I saw bigchelis mention a direct drive P7. I think I remember gene making these for either limited time or a custom order basis. Is a P7 from gene something that is available for this light?

jahxman

Enlightened
I saw bigchelis mention a direct drive P7. I think I remember gene making these for either limited time or a custom order basis. Is a P7 from gene something that is available for this light?

I guess you'd have to ask Gene. If I recall correctly, the runtime for the P7 on a single RCR123 would be really short, meaning you might have to use an IMR cell to power it to avoid :poof:.

The M60 MC-E drop-in currently available needs a minimum of 5 volts, so it would not work on a single cell.

BigMHoff

Newly Enlightened
THANK YOU jahxman! Great post. Tightening the body pieces and using the head/body joint fixes the rattle, and makes the twisty function work much better. I love this body, I never thought I could keychain carry an M30!! Malkoff rocks.

It seems alot of you guys are using M60's? Isnt this body made for M30's???

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Twisty today. I put my M30 in it. Nice tint, bright as my E1B, and once I get a higher voltage rechargable battery for it, I think it'll be brighter. (Won't it?). Mine has the lanyard attachment, so I put a small split ring and a lanyard from a Mag Solitaire on it. Perfect for pocket carry, and I can still put it on a Surefire lanyard for around my neck when necessary.

And I actually like the battery rattle. It lets me know for sure that it's fully off, and not just barely off where a little pressure while in my pocket would turn it on. Just like my trusty old Arc LS-L twisty.

It's a winner in my book.

Chodes

Flashlight Enthusiast
THANK YOU jahxman! Great post. Tightening the body pieces and using the head/body joint fixes the rattle, and makes the twisty function work much better. I love this body, I never thought I could keychain carry an M30!! Malkoff rocks.

It seems alot of you guys are using M60's? Isnt this body made for M30's???

Lots of people run M60s on a single cell.
It's not as bright as M60 on 2 cells, I'd estimate 170L if the M60 does put out 235L on 2 cells.
3 hours run time on an average 18650.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Lots of people run M60s on a single cell.
It's not as bright as M60 on 2 cells, I'd estimate 170L if the M60 does put out 235L on 2 cells.
3 hours run time on an average 18650.

I would guess that the M60L would be a great choice for one RCR123, and for even better runtime the M60LL. The M30 will be fine with one CR123, pulling about 0.95A's, and for full out brightness an RCR123, though runtime at full brightness would be about 30 minutes, or so.

Bill

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I'm not looking for runtime with this tiny guy. I want output. Even 10 mins is good with me.

I just tried a Moddoo Triple off a single IMR16340.

Full output for 10 minutes (500L at about 1.7 amps)
declining output for 20 minutes (500 down to less than 100)
So half hour of good light, then several hours of moon mode

For comparison, an IMR26500 does 600L for 45 minutes (2.7 amps)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Twisty body with an E1e head (for battery crushing goodness) and a koala Rebel tower. Tiny and super floody.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
And I actually like the battery rattle. It lets me know for sure that it's fully off, and not just barely off where a little pressure while in my pocket would turn it on. Just like my trusty old Arc LS-L twisty.

It's a winner in my book.

I got my twisty with VME head today, and have tried it with an M30 and M60LL. Full brightness with M30, and have not checked output with lightmeter and bounce using the M60LL. No battery rattle with either one.

Bill

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
hi, TOTAL NOOB question...but the set up for these twisties, is it really as easy as ordering the 'valiant little twisty' and picking up an M* series drop-in from malkoff and just putting it together?

i guess i'm just wondering if there are other parts that are needed besides those two things (well besides the battery of course).

thanks.