---NEW--- Olight S15 Baton !

kj2

Flashaholic
I've the S15 now less than 24 hours, and so far, I'm liking it :) The moon-light mode is handy at night, and on it's highest mode it's a great light walking at night.
The moon-light mode is low, but not as low as the Thrunite T10. To my eyes it looks like the S15 is twice as bright, as the T10 in moon-mode.
Hope to finish my review early next week :)

agent80

Newly Enlightened
Can the clip be reversed so that the lens is not facing up? Is the switch electronic? Is there a parasitic drain?

kj2

Flashaholic
Can the clip be reversed so that the lens is not facing up? Is the switch electronic? Is there a parasitic drain?
The clip can only be mounted at the head. So the head will always be facing up. The switch make a clicking sound, so I would say it a normal switch (I could be wrong).
I've no idea about the drain. I don't have the materials to measure it.

Edit: the switch is electronic. If the light is on and you loosen the tailcap the light goes off (of course ;) ) but when twisten it back the light stays off. If it was a normal switch, the light would turn on.

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Dang, the blue side switch ruined it for me.

I don't really have issues with the Blue-colored switch. If it were Orange, I'd hate that. I'm not a fan of Orange, at all.

I have one coming in the mail soon, I'll have a review for you guys up soon:)

I'll look forward to reading your review :).

Wish two things: They had put a low voltage warning light in the switch like the S20...and not sure why it`s output is so low...the S10 puts out over 400 from Selfbuilts test on a lithium rechargeable.

I agree - a low voltage warning light might have been nice. I've got one on my S35 (which I love) - very useful feature, and really nice light - feels solid, and it's super dependable.

I especially like the magnetic thing inside, it's really strong and I can put it on my refrigerator!

I like the idea of the magnet, being removable. Nice feature to have, but maybe not too handy in some instances. Olight showed some foresight, giving us the option of removing the magnet. Nice!

david57strat

Enlightened
Received my review-sample today. Will be working on a review the upcoming days :)

Can't wait to read it!

I've the S15 now less than 24 hours, and so far, I'm liking it :) The moon-light mode is handy at night, and on it's highest mode it's a great light walking at night.
The moon-light mode is low, but not as low as the Thrunite T10. To my eyes it looks like the S15 is twice as bright, as the T10 in moon-mode.
Hope to finish my review early next week :)

I have a Thrunite T10, as well, and love it, for its size. I never thought I'd have any use for moonlight mode, but in pitch black, it's extremely useful. I'm glad Olight have incorporated moonlight mode into this light.

Tube Extender Question
I'm also happy to read that they are offering the tube extender option; but I'm curious. they mention that run times are based on a 14500 battery, and since you can only use one of those (extenders aren't an option with the 14500 battery...?), does that mean the run times are signicantly shorter, using the extenders, when using AA batteries? What about higher end (2500 mAh) Eneloops? I have plenty of those, but also love the convenience (and the smaller carry size) of the 14500 battery (for higher output) - but that doesn't seem to be an advantage, in this light. 'Hope that makes sense. Okay maybe better asked - which would offer up the best run times - one 14500 battery, or three Eneloops (using two extenders)?

kj2

Flashaholic
Can't wait to read it!

I have a Thrunite T10, as well, and love it, for its size. I never thought I'd have any use for moonlight mode, but in pitch black, it's extremely useful. I'm glad Olight have incorporated moonlight mode into this light.

Tube Extender Question
I'm also happy to read that they are offering the tube extender option; but I'm curious. they mention that run times are based on a 14500 battery, and since you can only use one of those (extenders aren't an option with the 14500 battery...?), does that mean the run times are signicantly shorter, using the extenders, when using AA batteries? What about higher end (2500 mAh) Eneloops? I have plenty of those, but also love the convenience (and the smaller carry size) of the 14500 battery (for higher output) - but that doesn't seem to be an advantage, in this light. 'Hope that makes sense. Okay maybe better asked - which would offer up the best run times - one 14500 battery, or three Eneloops (using two extenders)?
My review; http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?366667-Review-Olight-S15-A-good-EDC-Walking-light

I would say that 2 or 3 AA batteries will give more runtime than one 14500. Yes, with a 14500 you have more lumens but think it's smarter to go for the runtime.

2l9tzq1.jpg

As you can see, longer runtime with a AA- and would be even more when using 2 or 3 AA's

Last edited:

d3debian

Newly Enlightened
I like the idea of the magnet, being removable. Nice feature to have, but maybe not too handy in some instances.

Is this magnet able to damage the magnetic strip on e.g. a bank card when they are in the same pocket?
And affect a cell-phone?

david57strat

Enlightened
Is this magnet able to damage the magnetic strip on e.g. a bank card when they are in the same pocket?
And affect a cell-phone?

I would recommend strongly against putting any kind of magnet anywhere near a credit card, or magnetic media of any type (cassette tape, computer hard drive, etc.) or recording device, because of the risk of magnetizing the device, rendering it, useless. It may not happen instantly, but could happen over time.

I'm not sure, what effect, if any, a magnet would have on a cell phone, though. It's a good question - would it mess with the phone's GPS capabilities?

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
My review; http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?366667-Review-Olight-S15-A-good-EDC-Walking-light

I would say that 2 or 3 AA batteries will give more runtime than one 14500. Yes, with a 14500 you have more lumens but think it's smarter to go for the runtime.

As you can see, longer runtime with a AA- and would be even more when using 2 or 3 AA's

I didn't read thoroughly enough to see that there was an actual increased lumen output advantage, based on 14500 usage.

I'm really glad to see that the reduction in output, while using NiMh batteries, isn't that huge, and the advantage of added run time, on a more common battery (while using the extenders) would be a seriously significant one to have, for extended use.

I'd love to get my hands on one of these, but will wait a while, until the price drops a little bit.

Thanks for the info, kj2!

ChibiM

Enlightened
I also have one, and am going to review it soon.
no light meter or other fancy measuring equipment though...

my first impression was kind of a mixed feeling.
I didnt like the UI at first, but got used to it... still I would have preferred to change modes in a different way with just tapping instead of press-and-hold.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one on order with the third extender (from Going Gear, $6 for the extra extension) . Was at Walmart looking at the AA rechargeables. They have 2 types of Ray o vac and 1 type of Duracell...the Duracell being the most expensive at $11 . Duracell claims to have some new/better "core". Don`t know what to pick...

Last edited:

obik

Newly Enlightened
I'm loving mine. I've been looking for a general use light like this for years. Nice and floody, moonlight mode, button at the head, simple UI, runs on AAs, tailstands. Unfortunately that hard blue button is a problem. I turn it on accidentally every time I take it out of my tool pouch or pocket. And I turn it on by accident just in the course of my (none-too-strenuous) business. Changing the position of the clip to shield the button some doesn't seem to help at all.

If Olight made a 1xAA headlamp with the same head and UI, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

kj2

Flashaholic
Unfortunately that hard blue button is a problem. I turn it on accidentally every time I take it out of my tool pouch or pocket. And I turn it on by accident just in the course of my (none-too-strenuous) business. Changing the position of the clip to shield the button some doesn't seem to help at all.
You could use the lock-out ;)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving mine. I've been looking for a general use light like this for years. Nice and floody, moonlight mode, button at the head, simple UI, runs on AAs, tailstands. Unfortunately that hard blue button is a problem. I turn it on accidentally every time I take it out of my tool pouch or pocket. And I turn it on by accident just in the course of my (none-too-strenuous) business. Changing the position of the clip to shield the button some doesn't seem to help at all.

If Olight made a 1xAA headlamp with the same head and UI, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I usually just loosen the tail cap a bit for a total lockout on my lights. I received mine today...along with some surprises/gifts...a coin cell light (bright little sucker), a clip and a red traffic wand from Going Gear....nice

First impressions are...wow...small cute light. I will call bunk on the claimed 7 lumen low mode...I think its over 12 lumen...I`ll call it 13.. And I`m thrilled about that...don`t need a low low mode in addition to moon mode. Think the low will be very usable...

Tint on mine is good, no glaring cat **** green in the low modes, very similar color as my SC600...not a pure white but very acceptable.

Like that it memorizes moon light mode.

Medium level is great...this will likely be the most used level when out of the house...will do a run time test at some point.

Switch feel s great...threading is good...easy to disassemble/reassemble.

It will be interesting to see Selfbuilts review of the light...I`m surprised how bright it is off 1 standard rechargeable.

The Eagletac 14500 batt fits snug...have to tap the light a little to remove it.

So far I really love this light...know more after dark...

Last edited:

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, started a medium mode run time test at 6:00 pm EST. 3 batteries...Rayovac 2400ma "rechargeable plus".

Test stopped at 9 pm...3 hours. Reason, playtime (it`s dark!). Changed to the 14500. Tried the traffic wand, fits great...in moon mode it has a nice warm glow...lol...feel like a kid. Played with the Xtar coin cell light...squeeze on, again for off...hey, simple...nice surprises.

Test resumed at 1:00 pm Saturday. Light dimmed badly at 3:45. Total of 5 hours 45 minutes. Not sure if thats very good, I was expecting way longer...but I don`t mess with AA`s very much. I`m suspecting the brand new batts might need a cycle or two. Placed in individually, two are very dim and one still works somewhat...so.

Started a run time test on the Eagletac 750ma 14500 at 4:30. Medium mode. Expecting around 3 hours...

Light shut off at 7:20...2 hours 50 minutes on the 70 lumen setting. No dimming or warning...full brightness then...out. I`m really convinced all Li-ion powered lights need some form of low batt warning. Those with great regulation even more so. This is a brand new 14500, not sure if they require a few cycles to come up to full power.

Last edited:

obik

Newly Enlightened
You could use the lock-out ;)

I had completely forgotten about that. Definitely a solution for tool pouch carry. Hopefully a solution for pocket carry too.

Loosening the rear cap is not a solution at all. If I reach for a light, I need it to make light, not sit there in my hand doing nothing until I tighten the tailcap.

I'm really liking this light. It's a well-designed, incredibly useful tool, and the modes are very nicely spaced. I was worried about the mode brightness and spacing (Low too bright, Med too large a jump) but the floodiness of the light makes them very useful.

obik

Newly Enlightened
Well, the lockout is no good for pocket carry. I carried it around for a couple hours and turned it on three times. It's solved the tool pouch problem, though.