New Terralux triple XP-G Drop-in for Magcharger

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
I have several of the TLE-300s, a single mode in a 5D Mag with NiMH D cells and a three mode in a 2D with a mcodod adapter and 6 eneloops. I've been very happy with both and while I agree the beam is strange when wall hunting it has never bothered me when using them outside.

I got a TLE-310 for my 3D Mag with a magcharger battery last month and am plesently surprised. As the others have stated the beam is much better focused with better throw. What I haven't seen mentioned is that my 310 has a noticably warmer tint than either of the TLE-300s. Has anyone else noticed that?

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Please tell me how you like yours once you get a chance to play around with it. Cheers! Did you buy from Amazon, fleebay, or ?
Got it from Amazon. Great improvement over the TLE-300 model. The beam is much smoother and the output is brighter with none of that purple color to it. Overall I think it's a great upgrade.

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
I got mine from BatteryJunction. When I ordered the price was $99, then I got the backorder notice. A week or two later I received the shipment notification so I checked out the website to take another look at my new toy and the price had dropped to $79. I sent BatteryJunction an email requesting a credit to equal the price on the day it shipped. They agreed and credited my account immediately, I've always found them to be a top-notch retailer.

Last edited:

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
What I haven't seen mentioned is that my 310 has a noticably warmer tint than either of the TLE-300s. Has anyone else noticed that?

Yes, I've mentioned it in other recent TLE-310M EX threads, but not in this one. The beam is brighter - not hugely so, but brighter none the less - and much whiter than previous models. There is none of the blue/violet corona here at all. My TLE-300 had an obvious blue/violet tint, with only the very centre of the beam pattern being white.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
Anybody looked at modding these for a better tint? A neutral triple xpg Mag would be really really nice...

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
I just measured 2.6A on H, 1.2A on M and 120mA on L. That's using a NiMH, 5 sub D batt (mag charger) in a 3D mag. Batt voltage was 6.6V static, it hasn't been charged in a while and it was in my car, about 40 degrees F.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I'm using a 2D Maglite with a 6AA Modocod battery holder. My measurements are as follows: -

High - 1.95A
Mid - 0.89A
Low - 0.1A

At rest voltage of the battery pack is currently 8.09V.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I am probably going to end up running a 6 AA setup. After getting my hands on some compact lights I haven't had much patience with D-Cell sized lights anymore and wouldn't really enjoy having to lug anything bigger than the Maglite 2-D around. Do you get decent run times with the AA's?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Can't say that I have run it for extended periods, so cannot comment on how long the batteries last, but they go quite a few short stints without needing charging.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
It's nice to see Terralux stepping up their game, I just wished that they posted more information about their lights. In example, it might be a bit much asking for ANSI from them, but I would like to see some candle power stats on their lights. It sounds like the 310 is a bit of a thrower, but it would be reassuring to know if it had around 30k cd.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I just got the new Terralux 1000 lumen triple XPG for my 4D Mag, and I am VERY pleased. I'm picky when it comes to this stuff too, quite a snob... I ran it next to my Malkoff Wildcat (also a triple XPG), and the beam was just as smooth, just as white. The difference was that the Malkoff has basically no hotspot, and the Terralux Mag has a relatively large, very smooth transitioned hotspot. So its got a little more reach than the Malkoff. It appears brighter too, but that may be a result of the hotspot.