Night-Ops Gladius Release Information

Santelmo

Enlightened
Re: Night Ops Gladius Preorder Instructions

I just can not wait for an evluation/review. Winning the lottery for me to afford this light has now become a priority or sorts!

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

We sent one to a member of this board today, in fact he was on this thread which prompted us to send it.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Dynacolt

Enlightened

BCO311: It appears you need to join the AAAA (Americans Against Alliterated Acronyms)!

Ken, I'm glad the light has passed the ID-10T tactical use standard. However, I'm unsure how you have tested for Section 3, Para 2: "extended use in a microwave oven environment" ?

It seems 2005 could be the year of the Tactical LED. After using led lights for a while, the P61 and the M6 incans seem yellow even when used separately. Has anyone else found this? It seems my brain/optical system has been re-programmed to accept led as white.

This light looks very nice, I'm looking forward to some CPF reviews on this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm under the idea that the KISS principle is more of a fallacy; it does not apply to modern day training doctrine or philosophies. As originally interpreted, the KISS Principle was implemented during WW2, in order to train large amounts of soldiers in a quick and efficient fashion.

The modern Soldier (and law enforcement officer) are much more advanced, both in education and the ability to absorb modern training doctrine and ideals.

The Gladius will be no different, and its method of usage will not be an issue as long as the serious user has proper training (and the accompanied repetition)and practice in the various modes of operation.

I just pre-ordered two units, and look forward to my own T&E.

-dan

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Trust me Dano, the KISS principle is alive and well. With all the training in the world s--t still happens. And if you're like me getting old and rusty, then you fall back on some of the simpler techniques your brain never seems to forget. I still make mistakes just like those around me. Usually it's good for a laugh afterwards. When I was fresh out of the academy I bailed out the passenger door running after a guy, only I was still carefully balancing my coffee cup in my hand like I was when my FTO was making warp 3 turns. Ever roll up on something and throw the car into park before you come to a complete stop? Nice sound!! What I hate is when the first car leaves the siren running and you can't hear your radio, plus it draws everyone for blocks in section 8 neighborhoods. Why can't someone design a circuit to shut it off when in park?
Old school tactic: use the horn for traffic stops.

Anyways back to the light, I'm sure it's going to be a winner for 99% of the time you use it. Glad to hear it has a "full on first" feature, something I must have overlooked when reading the PDF description. Really as Mr. Good said, the "end-users will be the definitive answer".

I've contributed my two cents here. Glad it was worthy of debate. I think I'll go back to threads talking about lights used for camping. That's where I want to see the whistle and bell models. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

My patrol car's siren turns off in park... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This light is gonna be muy cool....

-dan

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good Luck to Night-Ops! I'm a big fan of professional (police) quaility LED lights. Mr Bulk and McGizmo's products have been wowing my co-workers for quite some time now. I'm looking forward to reading reviews of this light by Quickbeam and Led Museum.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know about to KISS or not to KISS, but I do know you do your training under stress.

I rememebr reading about an officer of some sort -- trooper maybe -- who was doing protection for a governor or the likes. Anyway, some freak gets in the mansion with a weapon. With flawless execution, the officer drew his weapon, double tapped the freak, and reholstered the gun. When he realized he repeated one too many steps from the firing range, he redrew and advanced on the wounded freak.

Or so the story goes.

I always remember that one, and have done similar "reinactments" myself in the volunteer fire service.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
We sent one to a member of this board today....

[/ QUOTE ]

So, do you guys want beam shots and runtime graph? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Vaughn contacted me and is sending a pre production prototype to me. I believe it is anodized so I won't get to see the ceramic plating until SHOT. I understand it will arrive without a manual which is the way I like it (when all else fails...). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't consider myself inept but I admit to the Arc4 programing mode to having bested me! Had it not been for Jolly Roger, My Arc 4 would have been permenantly programed and set by a 5lb dead blow sledge hammer. Now the "Darell" UI on the LH was just fine for this simpleton.

I am looking forward to seeing this light and finding out if I think I can master its functions! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now since I am a known and accused SF Fanboy, non tactical and biased as a simple flashlight builder of some of my own designs, anything I end up saying about this light should be considered in context. Ken says let the chips fall where they may. If the chips can be cashed in, I don't want to drop any of them myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif I will do my best to be objective and candid about my perceptions and observations. I need to return the light via Fed Ex on monday so I won't be able to "lift my leg" on it. Darn! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I appreciate the opportunity to get to check out the light and consider it an obligation to pass on my observations. I will do so.

On the KISS philosophy, I too am a believer and it is a real challenge to design complexity into simplicity in service. Simple is a relative term and if failure results, there is little value to the simplicity. As need tempers solutions, familiarity and functionality in service tempers success. We see all around us where technology is bought and used in lieu of skill, ability and experience. To a certain extent, one can compensate for the other. However, you can't beat a combination of the two and for those who go in harms way on our behalf, I hope they take with them all that they possibly can! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Should the Gladius proove to be a useful tool for for the tactical arena, I say cool! Beyond its simple function as an illumination tool, I won't be making any judgments.

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Ken J. Good said:
This coating is used on a variety of metal surfaces that will face extreme duty.

Pencil Scratch Scale H1-H9, the standard gun coating on an M4 Carbine would be in the H3-H4 range.

The coating we are using rates an H9 and that only because it is highest number on the scale.

Some of the initial tests we broadcasted where done with the more familiar to flashlights Type III HA. Another entire larger batch of Gladius' are scheduled to be baked, frozen, immersed, shaken, shocked, dropped etc. as we are right next to full production.

What is true, is what you obviously already stated, exact color matching and uniformity between parts and runs.
There are also some hidden benefits in terms of managing heat and conductivity as well.

I have quite of few of the "other guys" flashlights and some of them have 3 different shades of OD on the same flashlight. Nothing to detract from the function, but if you can get uniformity and an eye pleasing result, that would certainly be preferable.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does the ceramic coating do under sharp impact to the light? Say clanking it on something steel, or dropping it on concrete?

If you get oil or CLP (Break-Free) on the ceramic, how hard it to remove the oil soaked up by the ceramic? Common solvents don't seem to work that well on some types of ceramic.

Samuel

Enlightened

Dano, I think you give way too much credit to the new generations of military and LE personnel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Our SEB (swat) personnel are top notch but there is a huge gap between their training/experience/abilities and that of the average line deputy (and even more when compared to the deputies working in custody or courts).

Two of my immediate partners were in the Corps. One was a DI for quite a few years. From the discussions we've had, I believe they would also disagree with your statement.

IME as a trainer/instructor for my department, I agree with the other guys - KISS is still relevant today. All things being equal, WTSHTF and the pucker factor is at 10, you WILL revert back to your Training (which, in LE, is usually not as much as you should get to begin with). Fine motor skills and finesse tend to jump out the window. You Will experience tunnel vision, time compression or dilation, some sensory shut down, impaired recollection of exact events, adrenaline dump, etc.

And, like everyone has been saying, it all depends on your own comfort and proficiency with your tools. If you're going to be depending on them in "tactical" situations, you should be training to use them under as similar conditions (e.g. in an "adrenal state") as possible.

Although todays "kids" would definitely have an edge over yesterdays "kids" in technological savvy, I wouldn't necessarily give them an edge over previous generations in abilities. IMO, overall, we have less work ethic than previous generations and the most recent batch of youngsters have this annoying tendency of asking "why" when they should be working or other wise getting down to business... lol

McGizmo, I would be very interested in any testing you might do with regards to the Auto Temp Control affecting output/runtime in different ambient temperatures (primarily room temperature and/or a warm outdoor night)...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Don ... I must *insist* to see beamshots and runtimes ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif ... I need cold unsympathetic numbers as I lack imagination and abstraction skills badly ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

M. Good ... great choice of tester! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
really looking forward to this eval!

bernhard

AlecGold

Enlightened
Well, there has been a lot of debate over the light.
I like the full mode first, but I'm still not convinced.
As I said, extra competition is always nice, and the more I read of the light, the more I'm convinced it is a very good competitor.

dano: My patrol car's siren turns off in park...
My patrol car doesn't even have a park /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It has a manual shift/clutch/thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Newbie: Ceramic coatings I've seen so far, vary a lot in their molecular structure, varing from very open (grinding stones etc.) to very closed (high pressure roation seals for chemical use on pump axes etc)
Cleaning ceramics never have been a problem as far as I know, just some water and a bit of soap for grinding stones and their as good as new.
I don't know what kind of ceramics they will be using, but I'm sure that's no problem. The possible chipping can be a bigger problem I guess.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken,

You have some very good points yourself, and a cutting edge product that's aimed at people who would make the most of it. Power does take training to master.

I didn't mean to come across (in case I did) as knocking the Gladius, just that perhaps I have a different use and different metrics in mind. I like what you said about the limits; I should know better because I have often said something similar in a different context. It's good to see people pushing the limits where it does count /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken J. Good

Enlightened

Kevin,

Healthy skepticism is that healthy.

I always find myself in the back of any classroom or training event, running a myriad of what ifs, how comes, no way, etc. etc.

What needs to keep in constant view is that we resist change. We have powerful egos.
An entire treatise could be written of the pros and cons of this built-in software package.

The challenge is to honestly and fairly evaluate new concepts. Let them soak in sub-conscious mind for a while. The mind is looking for integration within the previous established construct we have accepted.

As a trainer in our fairly mind and physically intensive courses, I found that if I can just get people to take a few minutes to open the gate to evaluating new ideas (read not accept everything I am saying as THE truth or THE way) but learn to take new ideas and adapt them to their particular mission requirements, what I have done is open the pathway to actual future improvement.

The funny thing although we resist change on one powerful front we need change. We are easily bored. If nothing changed we would literally go insane. It is a strange paradox.

So, this is a change. Let is soak in and fairly evaluate it after directly handling the new approach and associated hardware.

If it not for you, there are many excellent pre-existing alternative solutions. Far be it from me to tell you what you need or actually require under duress.

I do know this, that I have trained people for several decades now to do things they previously believed was not possible under duress.

The Gladius is reflection or physical manifestation of this journey.

Okay, I will get off my little step stool pulpit.

This has been an EXCELLENT thread!

BYW, I have updated the Overview/Spec sheet as a result of a few comments here, trying to answer a couple of legitimate concerns. Basically trying to explain the system a bit more clearly.

http://night-ops.com/pdfs/Gladius-Specifications.pdf

GutWrench

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vhyper007 said:
hey gutwrench,
i didnt get any such notification. i wonder if they think i am a SF spy.
vhyper

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no clue bud... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I signed up on the Gladius website a few months back.

Hey Don, I would like hear how the light holds up while doing a tactical cartwheel out of your sailboat at 6 knots while engaging many enemies during live fire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Ken J. Good said:
Kevin,

Healthy skepticism is that healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll ask again since I didn't see the answers in the .pdf

How does the ceramic coating do under sharp impact to the light? Say clanking it on something steel, or dropping it on concrete?

If you get oil or CLP (Break-Free) on the ceramic, how hard it to remove the oil soaked up by the ceramic? Common solvents don't seem to work that well on some types of ceramic. Some ceramics don't absorb oil, some do.

Does your company cover the liability for the officer if they utilize your strobe mode and the subject goes into seizures?

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]

Does your company cover the liability for the officer if they utilize your strobe mode and the subject goes into seizures?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is like asking gun manufacturers if they will be liable if the subject that is shot gets killed, injured, or paralyzed.